How many people realize that there are diseases that mimic Parvo?

I just read the answers to the question a lady posted about her 4-week-old puppies having Parvo. First, I want to say how sorry I am that this happened. Can anyone tell what the names of the diseases are that mimic Parvo, especially the one that can…

I just read the answers to the question a lady posted about her 4-week-old puppies having Parvo. First, I want to say how sorry I am that this happened. Can anyone tell what the names of the diseases are that mimic Parvo, especially the one that can…...
    General Dog Discussions : How many people realize that there are diseases that mimic Parvo?...

• How many people realize that there are diseases that mimic Parvo?

How many people realize that there are diseases that mimic Parvo? General Dog Discussions
      I just read the answers to the question a lady posted about her 4-week-old puppies having Parvo. First, I want to say how sorry I am that this happened. Can anyone tell what the names of the diseases are that mimic Parvo, especially the one that can show positive on a Parvo test? Also, what additional tests are necessary to determine if your puppy has Parvo or the imitator and how do the treatments differ? I would be especially interested in answers vets or their assistants can give to this question.

How many people realize that there are diseases that mimic Parvo? General Dog Discussions
    • I have been a vet tech for almost 20 years and the parvo test we use only shows postive if it is in fact parvo. There are many intestinal diorders that can have the same symptoms as parvo (i.e. bloody stool, vomiting and not eating). Even a heavy infestaion of intestinal perisites (worms) can cause these symptoms. Only a vet can tell for sure what is wrong with the dog.

• Our shelter recently had a dog that tested a low positive for parvo. The vet said he acually had a reaction to the parvo modified live vaccine. The vet explained that a side affect of the vaccine can be exibiting the disease itself. (loose, bloody stool ect. and overall lethargy. Also the distinct " parvo smell" of the stool was present too)

• Parvo test only shows positive for parvo test.It does not always matter if the test is positive b/c treatment is always the same.....IV fluids, antibiotics, rest, anti vomiting meds and no food! We tell people that it does not matter where the dog got it, blah blah blah...all vomiting/diarrhea dogs need IV fluids, hospitalization, meds and rest.