How to get puppy to eat heartworm medicine?

We have 2 puppies. One ate up the heartworm med, and the other one won't touch it! We tried to hide it in some other food and she still won't touch it!Any suggestions? Also, is there an alternative to this method?(shot?) Vet is closed and can't call and…

How to get puppy to eat heartworm medicine?

We have 2 puppies. One ate up the heartworm med, and the other one won't touch it! We tried to hide it in some other food and she still won't touch it!Any suggestions? Also, is there an alternative to this method?(shot?) Vet is closed and can't call and…...
    General Dog Discussions : How to get puppy to eat heartworm medicine?...

• put it on a piece of cheese, the put peanut butter on the pills, and fold the cheese around it and give it to the puppy. rub the puppys chin when it is trying to swallow it, and then give the puppy a biscuit and pat the puppy and tell that it is a good dog

• heartworm med is in pill form ......... try placing it in a piece of cheese ... all dogs for the most part love cheese ...if that dont work you might have to put it in the dogs throat yourself .very gently open the pups mouth on either side ...place the pill in the back of the tounge and close mouth , holding muzzle shut for a sec or two..... while rubbing on the dogs thorax (throat)... this should do the trick ! good luck !

• I have one, I used to have to slice it, think deli meat slice, thin, and then mix it into food. She actually ran and hid under the bed when she saw that little blue box come out of the cupboard!!!

• Put dog's pills in peanut butter, or a small piece of deli ham, cheese or whatever 'people' food the dog likes that you could hide it in. Or use a small bit of canned dog food to hide it in even if you must hand feed that. Or get creative & poke a hole in a soft dog treat the dog likes, hide the pill in the hole. We have a cat that will not ingest hidden medication of any kind, in any food, it's frustrating.

• Put it in a small amount of raw hamburger,if that don't work try peanut butter,way I do is put it on a teaspoon and small amount of peanut butter and put the pill in that and just force it in.By the time he gets threw licking meds are gone too.

• When I first moved in with my husband, his dog would not touch her heartworm meds unless he made her a small peanut butter sandwich. I started my dog (& his after I moved) by coating the pill with peanut butter and putting in the freezer until it was firm, but not hard. Then, I would make a huge deal over the "treats" they were getting. High pitched, happy voice telling them what great dogs they were (probably looked very silly). They would get very excited and then I would make them sit. I would hold the treat over their heads so they had to look up and drop the treat into their mouths. I eventually switched to just doing that with the pill (no peanut butter) and they take it easy as pie. Since puppies aren't as coordinated as dogs, hold your hand just over their noses before dropping.