Is it bad to pull a tick off of a dog?

I found a tick on my dog's forehead this morning and pulled it off. I think the fangs or whatever they are called stayed in my dog b/c I didn't see them on the tick. My dog is still a puppy, (chihuahua) is there anything I should do at this point? I'm…

Is it bad to pull a tick off of a dog?

I found a tick on my dog's forehead this morning and pulled it off. I think the fangs or whatever they are called stayed in my dog b/c I didn't see them on the tick. My dog is still a puppy, (chihuahua) is there anything I should do at this point? I'm…...
    General Dog Discussions : Is it bad to pull a tick off of a dog?...

• Yes it could be if you do it wrong. I would put campho-phenic on it first that would cause the tick enough discomfort to dislodge it. If that doesn't work it should loosen itself enough for you to be able to tweeser it off completley.

• You should never pull a tick out as the pincers or teeth will stay in the animal and cause infection.Either take it to the vet or as one vet informed me:Ticks breath out of the rear end, so cover it with vaseline, leave it for a while as it suffocates it to death, when it dies it unclamps its teeth and the tick should either fall off or come off easily with a tissue clamped between thumb and forefinger.

• I was always tought to burn it out...this may sound mean but it doesn't hurt the dog just the nasty little tick ....beforee you pull it off you take a match and let it burn for a min and then blow it out befor it gets cold put it on the tick and they usually pull there head out of your dog or you can do the same with a lighter...then you can pull it out ....but still get some medicine to clean it off( and i mean stuff meant for dogs !!)

• The correct way to remove a tick is to soak a cotton puff in rubbing alcohol and place it over the tick. This will cause the tick to back out. Then with tweezers pick up the tick and flush down the toilet. Being that you did not do that, just put anti-septic on a Q-tip (sorry for brand name) and place on the spot you removed tick from and keept the area clean.