my 19 week pug puppy ate a couple of those mint chocolate circles. he hasn't eaten or drank any thing today

he puked a little he's just been lying around all day. he not him self at all what should i do and is he going to die?

my 19 week pug puppy ate a couple of those mint chocolate circles. he hasn't eaten or drank any thing today

he puked a little he's just been lying around all day. he not him self at all what should i do and is he going to die?...
    General Dog Discussions : my 19 week pug puppy ate a couple of those mint chocolate circles. he hasn't eaten or drank any thing today...

• It is poisonous to dogs...see belowChocolate Poisoning in Dogsby Kevin Fitzgerald, Ph.D., D.V.M.Of Animal Planet's Emergency VetsEach holiday season, veterinarians witness an increase in accidental chocolate poisoning in dogs. The majority of pet owners do not realize the potential for intoxication that chocolate possesses. Theobromine, caffeine and theophylline are all naturally occurring molecules that are found in several foods, plants, beverages and human and veterinary medications. Based on the number of calls received by The National Animal Poison Control Center and the Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center, one of the most commonly encountered poisonings in pet dogs is theobromine, or chocolate, poisoning. Theobromine comes from the plant Theobroma cocoa and is present in chocolate, cocoa beans, cocoa bean hulls, cola and tea. Milk chocolate is obtained from seeds of theobroma cacao after fermentation and roasting. Milk chocolate has about 44 mg/ounce of theobromine; a 4.5 oz. milk chocolate bar has about 240 mgs. of theobromine. Unsweetened baking chocolate has even more -- about 390 to 450 mgs of theobromine per ounce.Relative theobromine content per ounce for various products is: Milk chocolate: 44 - 60 mgs/ounce Unsweetened baking chocolate: 450 mg/oz Cacao meal: 300 - 900 mg/oz Cacao beans: 300 - 1200 mg/oz Hot chocolate: 13 mg/ozThe lethal dosage of theobromine in dogs is between 250 and 500 mgs/kg, or about 2/3 to 1 1/3 of baking chocolate for every 2.2 pounds of body weight. However, serious non-fatal poisonings have been reported in dogs after eating smaller amounts. At our practice, a 20-pound dachshund showed serious signs of poisoning after eating 3/4 of a pound of milk chocolate and another 22-pound dog died after eating two pounds of baking chocolate. Deaths due to theobromine have been documented in horses who ate cocoa bean hulls used in bedding and in other livestock fed cocoa waste products. No chocolate poisonings have been reported in cats, which is probably a reflection of their eating habits.The the first signs of chocolate poisoning are vomiting and diarrhea, increased urination and nausea. These can progress to cardiac arrhythmias and seizures. Dogs definitely have a sweet tooth. Dog-proof for home to keep your dog safe. Milk chocolate should never be given to your pet and it should be kept well out of reach. Unsweetened baking chocolate should be kept in closed containers in upper, latched cupboards. If your dog eats potentially dangerous amounts of chocolate and you can get the pet to your vet within two hours, vomiting can be induced to remove the poison. If longer than two hours has passed, the animal may need to be seen and treated. Direct any questions you may have to your veterinarian, regional poison control center, or the National Animal Poison Information Center at The University of Illinois in Urbana which provides computer-supported telephone consultation for potential poisonings.http://www.napcc.aspca.org/ or call the toll free number(888) 252-7387.It is our responsibility to keep our animals safe. Protect your dogs from their own sweet tooth. Occasional treats are okay, but keep your dog away from candy bars.

• WHY do so many people ask this question?NO, your dog does not need to go to the vet and NO, your dog is not going to die!ESPECIALLY since it has obviously been quite some time. To all of those who responded with "Take him to the vet immediately"...PLEASE, I am begging you...do some research! Find out how much chocolate it REALLLLLLLLLY takes for it to be harmful...a 15 pound dog needs to eat 4 pounds of milk chocolate for only 50% of them to die!!!Do you realize how much people overreact to this whole "chocolate is bad for dogs" thing??? Research for yourself before you give advice. But I doubt you will take my advice!

• Don't freak out or think that you're a bad pet owner regardless of what people are saying on this board. Puppies are mischievous and cause give us gray hair, but if we didn't love them we wouldn't have them :) Here's the deal:Toxicity in chocolate depends on the amount of chocolate and what kind and your dogs body weight.*1 ounce per 1 lb of body weight is toxic in milk chocolate, which i presume is what the chocolate mints are made of. So if your dog is 20lbs, it would take 20 oz of chocolate for it to be toxic. It is common that a dog will be very lazy and will experience diarrhea and nausea. However, it probably isn't the worst idea to call the vet's office, explain to them the issue, you may even be able to talk to the vet over the phone. Hope this helps :)

• From what you've said, I'd say that your dog isn't on the express bus to puppy heaven. The toxicity of the candy chocolates isn't as bad as say, baker's chocolate. It's a good sign that he threw up (assuming that something other than bile came up). And he probably is lazing around because his stomach aches. Having said that... Call your vet!If it has been a day since your dog ate the chocolate, it is now too late to get the toxins out of his system, so (since it is now after most clinic's normal hours of operation) you can just monitor your puppy until tomorrow (when you should call the vet if isn't back to normal) unless he starts to crash. Monitor his peeing/pooping (he should be doing at least the former as he clears toxins from his system), check his hydration level (tent the skin at the neck and see how long it takes to go back; it should happen immediately). Make sure his gums and other mucus membranes are still pink and wet (not tacky). Look for bloating in the belly. Your vet can help you deal with any/all problems that pop up with the toxicity, so (I will say it again) call him or her tomorrow morning! Heck, leave a message now and I'm sure they'll call you back.

• I know several people, myself included who's dogs have gotten into chocolate, some alot and some a little. All have been fine without a vet. Obviously if your dog acts funny, take him in! If not, he'll be fine. I have a dog no bigger than a pug who ate over a half a box of milk duds on one heck of a hudini stunt. We didn't know it until at least 5 or 6 hours later. She never showed a sign. Chocolate is bad for dogs, maybe worse for some than others. But I don't think it's as "deadly" as everyone make it out to be. Just watch your dog and use common sense. Not everyone can afford to run to the vet on a whim. Hell, half the time we can't afford to even go to the doctor!