Why would the cat start doing this all the sudden?

My sister has a 1 year old male cat (not fixed yet). They have had him since he was 8 weeks old and have not had any problems. He has always been a very well behaved cat. He has always done fine around their dog and two young sons. My sister gave birth…

My sister has a 1 year old male cat (not fixed yet). They have had him since he was 8 weeks old and have not had any problems. He has always been a very well behaved cat. He has always done fine around their dog and two young sons. My sister gave birth…...
    General Dog Discussions : Why would the cat start doing this all the sudden?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why would the cat start doing this all the sudden?

Why would the cat start doing this all the sudden? General Dog Discussions
      My sister has a 1 year old male cat (not fixed yet). They have had him since he was 8 weeks old and have not had any problems. He has always been a very well behaved cat. He has always done fine around their dog and two young sons. My sister gave birth to her third son last october and the cat was fine. Didn't seem to mind at all. She recently got a new puppy in January and again the cat was fine.Well about 2 weeks ago the cat started randomly peeing all around the house. He has always gone in his litter box before this and now pees on anything he can find. Even things that are not on the floor. He has peed on the new babies car seat, blankets, bouncie seat, my brother in laws military uniform, kids toys, dogs bed and so on. They don't understand why he would just start doing this. His behavior hasn't changed otherwise, just the peeing thing.So my question is why would he just begin this out of no where and what should my sister do to stop it? She does plan to call the vet. Thanks.Thanks. I figured it was as simple as him needing to be neutered, but just wanted to make sure it wasn't a medical condition. She's calling the vet tomorrow to set up the appt to be neutered. Thanks to the heads up about the enzyme cleaner.Thanks to everyone again!

Why would the cat start doing this all the sudden? General Dog Discussions
    • NEUTER HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!She should have done it 6 months ago.At 1 year of age, he is approaching sexual maturity, and this is why he's started marking in the house. Also the female cats outside are in heat this time of year, driving his sexual urges to mark his territory and attract a mate. You'll also notice his urine developing a very strong scent, and the skin on his cheeks becoming thickened. He's growing up. Get him fixed ASAP and hope he hasn't been doing it long enough to become a habit. And clean EVERYthing with an enzymatic urine cleaner.

• It sounds to me like there is a female cat outside that is in heat and he can smell it or hear it. An unfixed male cat will do that to let the other cat know he is here and he is boss. This is his territory. I would get him fixed right away and also buy a urine cleaner that has enzymes in it. You will want to spray everywhere he sprayed and leave it wet as per directions on package. Make sure that it says it has enzymes in it, that way it will completely remove the smell of urine and he will not go back there. It is pretty inexpensive. I know our walmart has pet stain and odor remover for about 4 bucks.

• He needs to be taken to the vet and fixed immediately. He is marking his territory and will continue to do so until he is fixed. He sounds like a wonderful cat and will soon be back to his old self.

• Hi Brit...unspayed/unneutered animals who become stressed with changes in the home will tend to spray to mark territory and is quite commonly more noted in male cats. Cats sexually mature around the age of 5-7 months and urine spraying is witnessed. It's truly important to mention to your sister to consider having the cat neutered as quickly as possible because spraying becomes a habitual issue which later becomes difficult to resolve even after spay/neuter.Here's a well written web article about why cats inappropriately soil outside their litter box by Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/Housesoiling.htmlUrine SprayingWhen your cat rubs against your leg with his face, or scratches his scratching post, he is also depositing his scent from the glands in his cheeks and paws. Another equally normal but less pleasant marking behavior is urine spraying--the deposition of small amounts of urine around a given area. Spraying announces a cat's presence, establishes or maintains territorial boundaries, and advertises sexual availability.Cats usually spray on vertical surfaces, like the backs of chairs, or walls. They don't squat to spray (as they do to urinate), but the tail lifts and quivers, and small puddles of urine are left in several consistent locations. Cats that spray are usually unneutered males and, to a lesser extent, unspayed females, but 10% of neutered males and 5% of neutered females also spray. In households with more than seven cats, the likelihood of spraying is high.Cats may spray when they perceive a threat to their territory, such as when a new cat enters the home, or when outside cats are nearby. New furniture and carpet smells can prompt spraying as well. Cats may also spray out of frustration resulting from factors—like restrictive diets, or insufficient playtime—often wrongly perceived by humans as revenge. How can I stop my cat from spraying?Because spraying is different than other types of house soiling, different tactics are necessary to manage it. First, because there are often hormonal components to spraying, any intact animal should be neutered or spayed. Next, identify the stimuli that cause your cat to spray. If outside cats are responsible, motion detectors that trigger sprinklers can be used to deter them from coming onto your property. Additionally, you can discourage your cat from looking outside by closing blinds or shades, or by placing double-sided tape or electronic mats that deliver mild shocks onto your windowsills.Address possible sources of frustration that may be causing your cat to spray. For example, introduce a new diet gradually, or discontinue it until the spraying is under control. Increasing the amount of playtime for an under-stimulated cat may also help ease frustration.Spraying can also result from territorial disputes between cats in the same household. They may need to be separated and reintroduced slowly, using food treats to reward and encourage peaceful behavior.Applying odor neutralizers anywhere your cat has sprayed may prevent him from spraying there again. Another useful commercial product is Feliway®, a synthetic pheromone that, when applied to household surfaces, mimics the scent of cat cheek gland secretions. Many cats will not spray on areas that have this scent. (See the end of this brochure for information on where to purchase the above-mentioned products.) If you are located within the USA nearly all shelters will offer low fee even free spay/neuter services. To locate a shelter nearby you consider visiting the website http://spayusa.org/

• Definitely get him to a vet. It could be something else, such as a bladder infection (or some other urinary problem), or something even more serious like diabetes. Or, it could just be that he's spraying because he's an un-neutered adult male. He should have been fixed when he was 6 months old.

• I agree it's LIKELY to be the neuter thing, but don't rule out an infection just yet. He could have a bladder infection, urinary tract infection etc. A simple urine test will tell your sister if she needs to treat the cat with antibiotics and perscription food.Good Luck

• It could be a urinary tract infection, which are very common in cats, particularly boy cats. It could also be that he's pissed off (sorry about the bad pun) about the new puppy and the new baby entering his territory. I had a cat once that would pee on my son's things because he was mad that I brought him home - a new creature in his territory.So, definitely get him checked out, and probably neutered, but understand that it may not stop.