Is it normal for 3 week old puppies to cry extremely?

They are still with the mother and she seems to be taking good care of them, I am just concerned. Their tongues seem to hang out a little, but it has been very hot during the daytime. They don't cry at night, but the mother is in their house with them.

They are still with the mother and she seems to be taking good care of them, I am just concerned. Their tongues seem to hang out a little, but it has been very hot during the daytime. They don't cry at night, but the mother is in their house with them....
    General Dog Discussions : Is it normal for 3 week old puppies to cry extremely?...

• Is it normal for 3 week old puppies to cry extremely?

Is it normal for 3 week old puppies to cry extremely? General Dog Discussions
      They are still with the mother and she seems to be taking good care of them, I am just concerned. Their tongues seem to hang out a little, but it has been very hot during the daytime. They don't cry at night, but the mother is in their house with them.

Is it normal for 3 week old puppies to cry extremely? General Dog Discussions
    • Try putting them in a cooler place during the day. Also the mom should stay with them during the day and the night. They also might be hungry. Maybe the mom is not producing enough milk. Try bottle feeding them. You can get a dry mixture at your local vet hospital to feed them.

• try to squeeze moms teats and see if you get any milk. If there are a lot of babies then you may need to feed mom more so she will produce more milk. If you have to you may need to feed them yourself. Take to vet if you are concerned. My basset hound had 11 babies and when they were about 6 wks old. she would go out and get a rabbit and tear its gut open and feed her babies.

• Mum may not be producing enough milk and they could be crying because they are hungry. Make sure you are giving her access to plenty of water. This helps with her milk production. Also make sure she is having at least 4 meals a day. She needs a lot of nourishment to give her the strength to feed her litter.At this age you could start to wean them. Buy a good quality Puppy kibble and soak it in hot water until it is a mushy consistency, allow it to cool, then spread it on a large plate or tray and place the puppies around it and let them lap it up. They don't usually need to many lessons in eating I can assure you! You will need to give the puppies 5 meals a day now, dropping it to four meals when they reach 8 weeks then down to three meals by the time they are 3 months and two meals when they are 6 months. There will be instructions on the Packet of Food.Take the amount for the day and divide it accordingly, You must still allow the mother to visit them whenever she needs to, i.e. when her teats are full but if her milk is diminishing now don't force her to stay with the puppies if she doesn't want to be with them. She will soon let them know when she has had enough by growling at the puppies to 'back off'Once they are eating just make sure they have access to water day and night.When the puppies are completely on solid food the mother will cease to clean up after them.The pups should be wormed now with a precription wormer from your Vet and every two weeks until they go to their new owners. Always worm the mother 1 week after the puppies have been wormed each time as she will have ingested any worms the pups have when she has cleaned up after them.Enjoy your litter.