How can i get my dog to be less reactive to new dogs?

hello,some dogs are just really excited all the time and wanna play or check new things out such as smells with will lead to the dog. Roxy notices a new smell and a new dog she never been around so she probably wants to say hello. I never seen a dog…

hello,some dogs are just really excited all the time and wanna play or check new things out such as smells with will lead to the dog. Roxy notices a new smell and a new dog she never been around so she probably wants to say hello. I never seen a dog…...
    General Dog Discussions : How can i get my dog to be less reactive to new dogs?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How can i get my dog to be less reactive to new dogs?

How can i get my dog to be less reactive to new dogs? General Dog Discussions
      hello,some dogs are just really excited all the time and wanna play or check new things out such as smells with will lead to the dog. Roxy notices a new smell and a new dog she never been around so she probably wants to say hello. I never seen a dog being aggressive without growling as a warning. You might wanna take her to a dog park if you have one near by and let her socialize with other dogs so she will be more used to new dogs.hope i was able to help you

How can i get my dog to be less reactive to new dogs? General Dog Discussions
    • Is this excitement or aggressive in nature?Excitement- I would work on some self control training. Having her sit, and hold it until you release her. In the beginning, I would just ask for the sit, then release, then walk away from the dog. Once she was comfortable, I would release from a sit, and allow her to greet a dog. If she can be calm. The trick is to keep her under threshold.Aggressive- I would bring out the treats. As soon as you see a dog, treats are going into her mouth. This would be below threshold. Before the other dog got too close, I would walk away, still shoveling in the treats. Then your dog will start to think of other dogs approaching as a good thing. Eventually, if you have kept her below her threshold (no reactions) you can start to slowly decrease the distance. I would also be asking for a sit during this as well.Books to look up (I'm a little tired, so I don't remember all of the authors)....Control Unleashed by Leslie McDevittFeisty FidoScardy Dog by Ali BrownCU- is a fav, she has a neat game called "Look at That." Google that, I believe there are videos around showing the basics. Basically the dog looks at another dog (under threshold), is clicked then treated. So looking at the scary thing becomes a good thing.

• My dog Roxy always whines and scratches my legs when she sees a new dog that she cant get to. She has always done this only now it is getting a little old. What can i do to make her more calm when around other dogs?Is it possible?She is socialized she just gets fixated with new dogs during walks.Jerking the leash is a little extreme cant that damage her neck?I think i'll stick with the treats.

• It's possible if you let her socialize with dogs.In that case you can try giving her a treat in those cases to divert her attention from the other dog or even just give a quick jerk on the leash to keep her focus on you and not the other dog.