How to wean a dog off canned food?

We were told canned food is bad for our dogs health and teeth so we are trying to get her off it. We started by slowly reducing the amount of canned food and adding more and more dry food. She now refuses to eat her dry food. She has barely eaten…

We were told canned food is bad for our dogs health and teeth so we are trying to get her off it. We started by slowly reducing the amount of canned food and adding more and more dry food. She now refuses to eat her dry food. She has barely eaten…...
    General Dog Discussions : How to wean a dog off canned food?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to wean a dog off canned food?

How to wean a dog off canned food? General Dog Discussions
      We were told canned food is bad for our dogs health and teeth so we are trying to get her off it. We started by slowly reducing the amount of canned food and adding more and more dry food. She now refuses to eat her dry food. She has barely eaten anything in the last 3 days and I am starting to get worried. Should I just leave her and wait till she gets hungry enough to her dry food? Or will she actually starve herself to death?

How to wean a dog off canned food? General Dog Discussions
    • I have an older dog that just started to refuse dry foodall I do is put 1 -2 teaspoons of food and about 1/4 cup water and then mix the 3 cups of dry foodsheis a golden retriever mixor try some of the gravy type stuff y9ou can buy

• you did not say what breed your dog was ...simple add a bit of dry food with a bit of tin food for a couple of days then lesson the tin food more the dry food.try rice and boiled chicken. dogs woof it down. It worked for my late dog Hollythe tin can aggravate arthritis in dogs and it can be very painful.they seem to be lots of sugar in dog food too!! (my own vet told me we were shocked especially when the t.v. said it provided a healthy balance a marker ting gimmick).Good luck