What are the basic rules for a pick-of-the-litter arrangement?

I am breeding my standard poodle this winter. I have discussed health test results, and conformation evaluations with the owner of the stud dog. She did not want me to pay her a stud fee. Instead, she wanted pick of the litter. This is fine with me. …

I am breeding my standard poodle this winter. I have discussed health test results, and conformation evaluations with the owner of the stud dog. She did not want me to pay her a stud fee. Instead, she wanted pick of the litter. This is fine with me. …...
    General Dog Discussions : What are the basic rules for a pick-of-the-litter arrangement?...

• What are the basic rules for a pick-of-the-litter arrangement?

What are the basic rules for a pick-of-the-litter arrangement? General Dog Discussions
      I am breeding my standard poodle this winter. I have discussed health test results, and conformation evaluations with the owner of the stud dog. She did not want me to pay her a stud fee. Instead, she wanted pick of the litter. This is fine with me. Problem is, there are so many variables. What if my girl only has one puppy? What if all the puppies die? At what age must the pick of the litter be chosen so that I can have the people on my waiting list pick their puppies?I need a list of basic "rules" to be agreed upon ahead of time so that there are no misunderstandings or arguments.

What are the basic rules for a pick-of-the-litter arrangement? General Dog Discussions
    • The american kennel club is the place to look, I would make sure everything is in writing before you make a deal, I worked in a kennel years ago and I remember that the owner of the stud used to pick out one at about 6 weeks, could all have changed now.

• I don't know the rules or anything, but when I bred my girl the stud owner gave the choice as you have been given. I chose to pay the stud fee, but as she explained it to me, if there was only one puppy then there would again be the choice of the fee or they can have the one puppy (which I'm sure is not what you want). If there were no puppies then of course no obligation. If the puppies died then basically she said it's like "Sorry, you lose" and the stud fee is would then be in place. Again, this is how she explained it to me. I think any breeder will do what they want. Just come up with an agreement between the two of you and GET IT IN WRITING!Luckily I got two beautiful puppies out of it and she got her $400 stud fee.Good luck, hon.

• U need to be sure this is what u wanna do if she gets the good puppy find a good home for the rest take care of your dog brush her,give her the best food and anything else hygiene etc. and all the pups will turn out beaytifully so u won't get a good pup all the pups will be in picture perfect condition.So the people will pay top dollar for them/all u have to do is take good care of the mom and the pups will turn out good. Good Luck!! from Animal Expert101!!!!

• I have only studded one of my dogs out twice and both times I got pick of the litter, but it was done among friends and I told them if there was only one pup or no pups, or pups died that I would not charge them anything. I think the proper thing would be in the case of one pup would be for her to get the pup and give you half the price for the pup or you keep the pup and pay her half price. I do not think you should give them everything they would have received if there had been more than one pup. Who knows, maybe her dog was sterile. I think you should have everything in writing so there is no question of how things will be handled.

• Uaually, a litter is TWO or more puppies. If there is only one, there is no stud fee paid, and a repeat breeding may take place.If you agree upon a stud puppy, the stud owner gets pick of the litter...which is first pick. Sometimes a stud owner will take second pick, but first is usually what is done. If there is only one bit ch puppy, and the stud owner wants that, they get it. Be very clear and get a contract IN WRITING before a breeding takes place.Usually a stud owner will take the pick after the vet visit confirms the health of the puppies. Puppy people should know that they get their puppies after the stud owner picks. They usually have an idea of what sex they want so that you can plan accordingly.JUST GET IT IN WRITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Sometimes having the stud owner have a pick pup is a really good idea, mostly if you show and/or title dogs. Usually in good breeding, you are breeding to a male that is either a Champion or is being shown. The stud owner usually shows. So having them have a pick pup can help guarantee that a pup will actually be shown. There are many people looking for show puppies, but when it comes time and the bills are rolling in....minds change.Giving up a pick is not easy, but sometimes it is well worth it. And sometimes you can arrange for a free use of the pick pup if it is a male for a future breeding.

• Personally, I would NEVER agree to give pick puppy As the owner of the bitch, the caretaker of the pups, and the one with the medical bills, pick pup is mine! I keep females, so pick male is fine. As far as the variables, one puppy is usually not considered a litter, and you would get one rebreeding, after that it would be your problem. Everyone has different agreements, make sure to get everything that concerns you into the contract so that there are no misunderstandings later.I don't let people pick their pups (unless it is to a show home), it is up to me to decide which pup would be best suited for who. You could also let them pick their first and second choice, but tell them the ultimate decision is yours as you know the pups personality best.

• This is all that AKC has on the subject.http://www.akc.org/breeders/resp_breeding/steps_6.cfmI would think if the b i t c h has only one puppy then that is the pick and if there are no puppies then a re-breeding would take place on the next heat. You need to get all that worked out before you breed her. Also, if there are several pups, they can pick of the litter at about 4-5 weeks. They will need to stay with mom til about 8 weeks of age. That will give you plenty of time to advertise them and let other interested parties see them.