Why do people not spay/neuter their dogs?

Since I joined Yahoo answers I have tried my hardest to help people out with their questions about dogs, but yet I am shocked at how many people are on here asking questions about what to do now that their dog is pregnant, or asking questions about dogs…

Why do people not spay/neuter their dogs?

Since I joined Yahoo answers I have tried my hardest to help people out with their questions about dogs, but yet I am shocked at how many people are on here asking questions about what to do now that their dog is pregnant, or asking questions about dogs…...
    General Dog Discussions : Why do people not spay/neuter their dogs?...

• umm people do do it.....and some dont because they want their dogs do reproduce.and your right it is a waste of time, its their dog/cat and they will spay/neuter their animal if they wish.plus its expensive for some.

• My best theory is just plain ignorance. People don't realize the consequences of not spaying and neutering their pets. They either can't afford a pet in the first place and just skip doing something for the animal that they feel is unnecessary. Or they figure they don't need to do it because the dog will be kept indoors, forgetting about the fact that no animal is absolutely cage proof. Maybe more people should face the facts and actually be good pet parents and spay and neuter their pets to avoid all the unacceptable euthanizing.

• I suppose money could be an issue vet bills run high, especially now that times are tough with the economy, but I agree, if you're that unsure how to care for an animal or it's possible happening of offspring you shouldn't have them.I don't have all my pets fixed, how ever on the rare occasion my female cat escapes the the house or lawn, I am fully prepared for any mishap with kittens, including nursing bottles, and I've always found very loving homes for her kittens with friends.So I don't think fixing is the issue really, it's responsibility and knowledge. If you don't fix your pet know the "consequences" if you care to call it that, I'm always excited for new baby's.

• I think some people are just uneducated about getting their animals fixed, so I am glad you posted about it. Also, some people (I think men in particular) feel emasculated themselves when their male dog(s) are fixed. I have noticed on here especially that a lot of people seem like they cannot afford to have pets in the first place, but get them anyway and then they cannot afford to have them fixed. Also, some people get a dog or dogs because they want to breed and make money, but they have no idea what they are getting themselves into. It is very frustrating. For myself, I have 3 male dogs. I am a vet tech and around the time I got my boxer puppy, a veterinary study came out that I found very interesting. A long term study (10+ years) was done on a bunch of large breed male dogs (boxers, great danes, mastiff, rotties, GSDs, etc..). The study showed with statistical significance that increased testosterone led to a decrease in ACL ruptures...meaning that dogs left intact have an increase in testosterone and therefore have less ACL tears in their knees. Having a dog who tore his two ACLs (my 11 year old husky), I decided to leave my male boxer puppy intact for awhile. I figured why not? As long as he wasn't humping like crazy or misbehaving I would leave him intact. He is a year old now and still intact. I am having him fixed at 18 months as that is when dogs typically reach their peak of testosterone. So to answer your question, that is my reason for not having my dog fixed right now, but he will be. And my other two were castrated at a young age.

• You are preaching to the choir here. I found on the humane society site that 3 to 4 million dogs and cats are put down every year.Some people's reasons are as follows:"But I want puppies/kitties I want them!!!""My dog/cat should know the joy of being a mother.""Neutering my cat is unnatural.""...but if everyone fixes their dog/cat there will be no more dogs/cats in the world, they will die out..." and so on and so on...edit:and I got a thumbs down. lolhttp://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AplM4gV56JLl68ZHRj9Vh_nL7BR.;_ylv=3?qid=20090505215217AAiVK5W

• Because some folks are broke! The ones that do have money either don't want to spend it on the dog or are lazy. Other want to breed them, and some don't do it for the same reason they wouldn't do it to themselves.

• Some people don't care. Others don't take their dogs to the vet. Period. Others can't afford it, or simply don't want to spend the money, and others don't want to have it done! Others want to breed... I mean.. it's pretty obvious.Some people are also afraid of putting their animals through any procedures they deem unnecesary... dogs CAN dye under anethstesia, regardless how experienced the vet is.

• it is simple as this it is their choice. my grandparents didn't alter many of their pets and every one that they didn't has lived longer than the ones that that did. plus when my aunt had to neuter her dog he went from a fun out going dog who loved to go swimming now he doesn't like to do anything and has put on some much extra weight.

• I do not neuter my dogs to preserve their natural instincts because these drives are necessary for the working purposes for which they are engaged. My [male] German Shepherds are working dogs and neutering would negatively affects their fight, defense, and prey/hunt drives. A neutered dog often lacks vigor, has a soft temperament, becomes overweight, and is merely a 'pet' because they're not workable. I do not believe it affects a dog's health. My retired GSD is now a 12.5 years old intact male that is a remarkably healthy and vibrant specimen without any significant aliments (his hearing is probably 30% of 'optimal' and his teeth are worn) that I would challenge is significantly healthier and more active than his neutered equivalent.

• I entirely agree with you. All my dogs are spayed and neutered and any future dogs I have will also be fixed.I think you have underestimated the number of animals euthanized each year. I think it's around 2 million + in the USA.Many people on here think it's their right to breed there animals and they don't care about the animals being euthanized due to overpopulation. They just want 'cute' puppies.I can't believe how many people on here are breeding their dogs. They don't give any thought to the number of puppies being produced or that they have no idea what the future will hold for the pups they breed and sell. Sadly, most of these people are breeding cross bred dogs and they are the most prevalent in the pounds and shelters.Unfortunately you can only educate those who are willing to be educated.

• people are 1. lazy - it takes too much work to do bring them in and have to care for them.... 2. cheap - even low cost clinics cost to much for them, these are usually the people who have pets don't get them vaccinated or registered they just keep it in the backyard... 3. greedy - i have a few friends that i've been trying to convince to spay/neuter their pets but refuse because they want to breed them!!! this irritates me!!! 4. they are oblivious to the positives of it and need to be educated! thats just what i think!

• I have a relative who refuses to get his dogs fixed. He feels that it is unnecessary and that it is wrong to have their body parts removed. He thinks they should die exactly the way they were born with all their parts intact.

• hi,Spaying or neutering will keep your dog from getting pregnant or impregnating another dog. Females get the spay surgery, which removes the ovaries and uterus, while a neuter surgery removes a male dog's testicles.here are some guidelines:http://www.mediumurl.com/?r=043784703946904568671314654332hope this helps