How does one transport a mother and how newborn litter to the vets?

Mother on a collar and lead? Puppies in a pet-carrier? Wrapped in towels? Is it more convenient to get a call-out vet to come to you?All completely hypothetical by the way. I have a neutered male.Sorry, typo in the title. Her, not how.People need to read…

Mother on a collar and lead? Puppies in a pet-carrier? Wrapped in towels? Is it more convenient to get a call-out vet to come to you?All completely hypothetical by the way. I have a neutered male.Sorry, typo in the title. Her, not how.People need to read…...
    General Dog Discussions : How does one transport a mother and how newborn litter to the vets?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How does one transport a mother and how newborn litter to the vets?

How does one transport a mother and how newborn litter to the vets? General Dog Discussions
      Mother on a collar and lead? Puppies in a pet-carrier? Wrapped in towels? Is it more convenient to get a call-out vet to come to you?All completely hypothetical by the way. I have a neutered male.Sorry, typo in the title. Her, not how.People need to read the question properly. "Completely hypothetical". I have no plans to stud my male. Would be kind of impossible anyway, seeing as he's been neutered.

How does one transport a mother and how newborn litter to the vets? General Dog Discussions
    • If it is a small dog and you have a large enough carrier, mom and pups should be in the carrier together to help mom be more settled about what is happening to her pups. If the carrier is not large enough for mom and the pups, then mom should be on a leash and the pups in the carrier.

• I have someone else take the mom for a short walkthen I put the puppies in a box lined with warm towels, cover them lightly with a warm towel Then the other person brings the mom to the car where I let her peak at her pups. I place then in the car and she jumps in the car. I have to hold the pups in my lap as some of the moms tried to crawl into the very small box with them. I allow her to breath on them and lick them. That helps her more then them. Most moms seemed happy to get out and happy I was giving her a tiny break from them.

• If the mom is large and strong enough, put her on a lead and the puppies in a carrier with a warm blanket on the bottom. Place the towel or blanket in the dryer for a couple of mins right before you get ready to place the babies in the carrier. Make sure it is not too hot and wrap it over the puppies. Make sure the carrier is not too big. Use a cat carrier if you have just a few babies so they can snuggle and keep each other warm. They feel much safer that way. Put the crate in the back seat on the floor. You don't want to take a chance on a sudden stop and the crate flies off the back seat.

• I took my newly born litter to be checked over the day after they were born last week. My Pet Carrier is rather large so I decided to put the puppies in a large open cardboard box which I lined with Profleece and I covered them loosely with a small blanket. I sat on the back seat of my estate car with the puppies while my husband drove and the Mother was in the back where she was able to see her puppies. This worked very well.If you haven't anyone to accompany you it may be a little more tricky.If your Pet Carrier is large enough to accommodate both Mum and puppies then it might be a good idea to put them all in with her.They must be kept warm at all costs.

• Puppies wrap in towels in a pet carrier on hot water bottles, we make ours out of gloves. Mother on a collar and lead, and put in a separate crate in the car.The pet carriers we have are too small from mom and pups to be in there together, plus to be safe i would never do that anyways. The pet carrier is in the back seat where we can see them and make sure the crate does not fall or something.Usually my moms just sleep the whole way.