Why would you have to check with a vet before switching to homemade dog food?

If not all store-bought dog food is good and home-made is probably better for the dog, why would you have to check with your vet? I mean, I get that a change might upset the dog, but what if you mixed his dog food in w/ the homemade food like you would…

If not all store-bought dog food is good and home-made is probably better for the dog, why would you have to check with your vet? I mean, I get that a change might upset the dog, but what if you mixed his dog food in w/ the homemade food like you would…...
    General Dog Discussions : Why would you have to check with a vet before switching to homemade dog food?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why would you have to check with a vet before switching to homemade dog food?

Why would you have to check with a vet before switching to homemade dog food? General Dog Discussions
      If not all store-bought dog food is good and home-made is probably better for the dog, why would you have to check with your vet? I mean, I get that a change might upset the dog, but what if you mixed his dog food in w/ the homemade food like you would as if you were changing dog foods.... or am I completely wrong? Would feeding a puppy with homemade food be a bad idea, or better than store-bought pup food?

Why would you have to check with a vet before switching to homemade dog food? General Dog Discussions
    • There is lots of conflicting information about feeding home made food. You want to make sure you are using a recipe that will give your dog all the nutrition he needs to stay healthy. It is best to check with a vet so you know that the food you are making is good for your dog.

• You would not have to check with your vet before switching diets, just make sure that what you switch to is a proper diet for a dog. Someone posted on here that they were feeding their dog home made food and it included beans.....OMG. Just do your research and when you feel like you can give the dog a proper diet and home cooked or raw go for it. Many feed raw diets to their dogs and it's mostly raw meats. Do the research before starting such an endeavor. www.b-naturals.com is a good place to get information on feeding raw.

• Personally, I wouldn't check with the vet at all. The average veterinarian was never taught anything about proper pet nutrition. Even my own vet told me that feeding Orijen was overkill and Purina was fine. Now my dog is on a raw diet and my vet giggles over this. Just make sure your homemade food does not include anything that is toxic to dogs (based on your dogs size, your dog may be able to tolerate smaller amounts)http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1659&aid=1030http://www.petalia.com.au/templates/storytemplate_process.cfm?specie=Dogs&story_no=257

• Who on earth has said that you must check with a vet.No disprespect to vets here, but I wouldn't check about nutrition at all with a vet. To be honest, I believe I am probably more informed on nutritiion than the average vet. Just do your research, and change over gradually, yes, and then best of luck. Love the avatar by the way.

• because the vet wants your money!!!!!!!!!! lol I made my dog homemade chicken stew all the time with carrots and rice and potatos too but no onions ok?????????? Mix what you make your dog with white rice,they love that!!!!!!!!!!!