Is dog grooming the right career for me?

Hi I'm in high school and I go to a tech campus and I'm taking early childhood but I don't really like it and I'm thinking about doing dog grooming but is it right for me I love animals they are sooo cute I love every kind animal

Hi I'm in high school and I go to a tech campus and I'm taking early childhood but I don't really like it and I'm thinking about doing dog grooming but is it right for me I love animals they are sooo cute I love every kind animal...
    General Dog Discussions : Is dog grooming the right career for me?...

• Is dog grooming the right career for me?

Is dog grooming the right career for me? General Dog Discussions
      Hi I'm in high school and I go to a tech campus and I'm taking early childhood but I don't really like it and I'm thinking about doing dog grooming but is it right for me I love animals they are sooo cute I love every kind animal

Is dog grooming the right career for me? General Dog Discussions
    • You can love animals all you want. A groomer has to also love physical labor; dirty animals; those that may bite; those that belong to bad owners; poorly trained animals; soap, exposure to chemicals; noise; external parasites; and bad smells. You cannot do this job just because you love animals and you think that they are cute. good groomers have a passion to make animals feel better and to improve their lives. They also have to have good people skills as every pet they groom comes attached to an owner. A good groomer has a good sense of style and the patience of Job.

• Love isn't enough, and doesn't mean you have the talent to groom.Bathing and grooming dogs is hard on your body. Especially if you are constantly bending down to do nails and if you use a low tub, or tether the dog and bathe it on the floor. You need to be physically strong to handle large and hyper dogs. Some dogs will put up a fight for their nails or other aspect of grooming. You will be gouged with nails and bitten more than once in your grooming career.You will accidentally cut the quick when you trim nails and they will bleed. You will mess up and cut a dog on accident when grooming too. Learn from your mistakes. You will have to learn to pluck ear hair, which will make some dogs cry out, especially if they are puppies.Can you deal with the gross stuff? Such as the build up of crusty eye boogers because the owner doesn't bother to wipe the eyes every day? Removing dried poop from a dog's butt because the fur is long and it gets stuck? Some dogs have skin conditions, which smell or look ugly. If a dog has ticks, you need to be able to pull them off. Some dogs drool excessively and it gets all over you. Two words:anal glands. You will be pooped and peed on as well.When it comes to actual grooming-it is an art. You might know what the dog is supposed to look like, but getting it to that point is a different story. You need a good eye and a steady hand. And a lot of patience!Started working at a grooming salon 7 years ago. Love it, but it is not the job for everyone.