Why would you NOT alter your pet considering that there is a large overpopulation of pets in America?

Either they are killed in a pound, or languish in a no-kill shelter where they are not socialized. What are some reasons--cost of vet services? Animal's right to breed? You want cute puppies? You want you dog to be masculine? Any real reasons?

Why would you NOT alter your pet considering that there is a large overpopulation of pets in America?

Either they are killed in a pound, or languish in a no-kill shelter where they are not socialized. What are some reasons--cost of vet services? Animal's right to breed? You want cute puppies? You want you dog to be masculine? Any real reasons?...
    General Dog Discussions : Why would you NOT alter your pet considering that there is a large overpopulation of pets in America?...

• Why would you NOT alter your pet considering that there is a large overpopulation of pets in America?

Why would you NOT alter your pet considering that there is a large overpopulation of pets in America? General Dog Discussions
      Either they are killed in a pound, or languish in a no-kill shelter where they are not socialized. What are some reasons--cost of vet services? Animal's right to breed? You want cute puppies? You want you dog to be masculine? Any real reasons?

Why would you NOT alter your pet considering that there is a large overpopulation of pets in America? General Dog Discussions
    • My view is as long as my dog isn't having problems with aggression or marking thigns there's no reason to have him neutered. It costs money and if there's no problem why pay the money? The breeder I bought my dog from also told me she may want to use him for breeding so I may try to recoup the money I spend on my dog by allowing her to use him for breeding...btw, she's not a backyard breeder, she asked because my dogs father was hit by a car and she had only used him once so my dog is the only one to carry on the line. Also, with my breed of dog they look better if you don't have them neutered, my dog will not be as muscular or have a big head if I had him neutered. And finally, I think it's just plain mean if it's not necessary. I wouldn't want someone to chop off my testicles so why have it done to my dog?

• The only people that should be exempt from fixing their pets are the ones that show the animal and/or are reputable breeders.There are no other good reasons. I have to bite my tounge when I see people prancing their mixed breeds around with the juevos still hanging....I guess a lot of people don't watch the Price is Right.

• Some are lucky. If they make it here.http://www.thedogisland.com/Remember the poem(song)If you love someone,Let them go,If you love someone,Set them free,Close your eyes,Wave farewell,Tell them,That you love them,But they must be free,That you care for them,But it is time for them to leave,To find their own way,Their own path.Having said your piece turn away,And walk home.

• ACCEPTABLE REASONS TO BREED:Producer of top-quality conformation show dogs.Producer of top-quality field trial dogs.Producer of top-quality canine athletes (sled, endurance)Producer of Police dogs bred for specific traits (drug sniffer, bomb sniffer, bloodhound)Producer of Service dogs (Guide dogs, hearing dogs, seizure dogs)In rare cases, to study the effects of diseases and/or health risks to specific breed of canine, or to breed with the goal of eliminating said health risk. (breeding out tendency to dysplasia or glaucoma or cancer)Otherwise, snip and clip. For 99.99999% of family pets, there is 0 reason not to.

• Are we just talking dogs and cats, or animals in general?My current dog is neutered, but my future dog may not be altered because I intend to show and compete with it. If the dog does well and turns out to be an exceptional example of the breed, I may even breed it. If not, I'll have it fixed after we've finished our conformation title.Other people keep animals intact for the same reason, or because they are working animals, OR in the case of many large breeds, it's dangerous and detrimental to both their health and growth to neuter them too early.I think if an intact dog or cat is being managed responsibly, there's not foul in keeping them that way. However, very few people seem to understand what 'responsible management' entails.For smaller animals, like my rabbits...a spay or neuter on a small animal is easily double what it is on a dog or cat. It's cost prohibitive for a lot of owners, in which case management again becomes the key. It's up to the owner to KEEP accidental breedings from happening if they chose to keep any intact animal of any kind.If they can't do that, then it's their responsibility to pay for the surgery.

• Some people are actually totally unaware that there even is a pet overpopulation problem!! I don't know how people do not know this fact...but I see people on here all the time asking why they should neuter and then claiming they had no clue once they get ganged up on. Others are aware of the problem but could not care less, and do not want to spend the money. It is really sad but lots of people consider their pets as disposable and will just get a new one if the old one gets sick or dies. I often see several posts a day with people asking if they should euthanize their pet because it is sick and they do not want to spend the money for treatment! The more I read some of these posts by irresponsible owners, the less respect I have for the human race.

• Well, since I live in Australia whether I get my pets desexed or not is not going to affect the "overpopulation of pets in America". Anyway, my cats are desexed so I am not adding to the overpolulation of pets in Australia.