is it possible for a pregnant dog to have only one puppy?

my dog delivered her puppy yesterday. the problem is she delivered only one puppy... from what i heard pregnant dog can have many puppies when they get pregnant... we checked her tummy after she gave birth and it was still big but i don't know if there…

my dog delivered her puppy yesterday. the problem is she delivered only one puppy... from what i heard pregnant dog can have many puppies when they get pregnant... we checked her tummy after she gave birth and it was still big but i don't know if there…...
    General Dog Discussions : is it possible for a pregnant dog to have only one puppy?...

• is it possible for a pregnant dog to have only one puppy?

is it possible for a pregnant dog to have only one puppy? General Dog Discussions
      my dog delivered her puppy yesterday. the problem is she delivered only one puppy... from what i heard pregnant dog can have many puppies when they get pregnant... we checked her tummy after she gave birth and it was still big but i don't know if there are still puppies inside. they said to wait 2 - 6 hours for the next puppy to come out... it's been 24 hours exactly and still no puppy is being delivered again... help!my dog delivered her puppy yesterday. the problem is she delivered only one puppy... from what i heard pregnant dog can have many puppies when they get pregnant... we checked her tummy after she gave birth and it was still big but i don't know if there are still puppies inside. they said to wait 2 - 6 hours for the next puppy to come out... it's been 24 hours exactly and still no puppy is being delivered again... right now is resting and is able to breastfeed and nurse her pup... the mother dog is just a year and a half old...

is it possible for a pregnant dog to have only one puppy? General Dog Discussions
    • Oh yeah, they can have just one puppy.. It only means that just 1 egg was fertilized for whatever reason..If she still looks big, You should see the vet, make sure that she has delivered them all.. I have seen a b itch deliver a pup 24 hours later... But you should make sure that she hasn't any more inside.. They can die, or if they are dead, they can cause her a horrible infection.. All sorts of trouble if she hasn't delivered them all.. I wouldn't have waited 24 hours between puppies if I thought that there were more in there..

• Singletons are rare, but they are possible. I would take your dog to the vet's just to make sure there aren't any more puppies still inside her.Has she been straining to give birth or is she resting comfortably?

• it is possible. Its unusual but possible. keep close watch on her and call your vet for more advice. check to make sure she's lactating. The labor pains should have triggered her milk let down. IF not you may have to bottle feed the first puppy. But be sure to call your vet and see if she needs help with the possible other puppies.

• ok a few points:-yes, a dog can have one puppy-a dog can also deliver each puppy hours later then the one before it-BUT 24 hours seems little late.. she may need help delivering her pups and you might want to have her checked out ASAP because i'm pretty sure once she has the first puppy the amniotic fluid (or whatever it is in dogs) is gone and the puppies inside may have difficulties if they don't get out and have oxygen... but i'm no expert on dog birth.. when my cat gave birth, that was the case and i'm pretty sure most mammals work pretty similarly lol

• It's possible for a dog to have only one puppy, especially if the dog is young. If you have any doubts as to whether she has more puppies remaining to be born, it's definitely time to see your vet.

• It is possible, but it's unlikely.You need to get the dog to a vet - you've already waited 4 times longer than you were told to wait! We can't tell you if there are more puppies inside, we haven't seen the dog - it could be amniotic fluid and/or a retained placenta still making her fat, or she could have another 10 puppies stuck inside! So go to a vet!Chalice

• yes they can but its very rare, I would take her to a emergency animal hospital or you vet, Now or as soon as you can. To check her to make sure she is all right. I have heard of a dog giving birth to one pup afteranother, in some cases( when the dog is having problem delivering naturally) where there is a space between births of 1-3 hrs.not 24. I just ask My Mom about this she said it can happen but it means, the dog has a puppy that is to big for her to pass, isin danger. She needs a Vet!

• Well you didn't say what breed of dog you have. That has alot to do with how many pups. Small breed dogs typically have smaller litters. If you're worried or if your dog seems to be having problems or seems uncomfortable you should just take her to the vet.