My dog is dieing of cancer. Should we have him put to sleep?

He is only 5 years old, but has terminal cancer. My vet said that whenever we felt it was time, we could have it done. The cancer has spread through his lungs, and he has started caughing blood. I'm afraid he will choke on blood and die a frightening…

My dog is dieing of cancer. Should we have him put to sleep?

He is only 5 years old, but has terminal cancer. My vet said that whenever we felt it was time, we could have it done. The cancer has spread through his lungs, and he has started caughing blood. I'm afraid he will choke on blood and die a frightening…...
    General Dog Discussions : My dog is dieing of cancer. Should we have him put to sleep?...

• I'm so sorry to hear about your dogs illness. I too was challenged with this and I feel that if your pet is suffering or its quality of life has diminished considerably then euthinasia may be a better choice.

• How sad for you, I am so sorry. I have always felt that when your dog begins to suffer, it is time. It is the kindest thing you can do for your pet who has given you so much love to end his suffering.God Bless and many {{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}

• OUT OF COMPASSION FOR YOUR DOG, IT WOULD BE THEBEST THING TO DO, WHY LET THE ANIMAL SUFFER?YOU CAN ALWAYS GET ANOTHER DOG AND GIVE IT THE SAME NAME IF YOU WANT TO.........

• With as much as this puppy has wrong with it, he would suffer greatly if you just let it happen. I think I know how you feel, you want him with you , I say OK......ordinarily.....not with this poor guy. Having said that, the decision is up to you. I'm sorry for your loss................LATER

• I feel your pain I had to put my dog down she was in pain and suffering so much that it was hard to watch her go slowly day by day.I say let your dog go now before it has any more pain.good luck.so sorry for your loss

• I am so sorry to hear about your dog. Losing a pet is extremely painful, because they are a part of the family. I understand how hard it is to know what to do. At least with pet you are able to let them go in a dignified way when the time has come. The only help I can be is saying, if your dog is in pain and the quality of life is at a place where the pain and suffering is greater than you want him to go through then I would let him go. In this day and age it isn't necessary to let an animal you love suffer needlessly. I would let everyone have a day to say their goodbyes and then let the vet put him out of his misery. Letting him go this way is the best way to show him how very important he has been to you and how very much you love him. Again, I am so sorry about your dog. Remember the good times because as long as you remember him he will never be gone completely. I can tell he has left pawprints in your heart. God Bless.

• If he is suffering that much, yes, putting him to sleep is the best option, it's not easy, I had to put my lab/shepard mix to sleep a few years ago, her kidneys and pancreas were failing, and, I cried for nearly a week. It's best to put them out of there misery, especially if they were very happy & active dogs. Good Luck!

• Yes, it is sad but the truth is what the vet does is totaly painless. It is just like putting your doggy to sleep for an operation. except that it is forever. try to understand that the pain is likely very strong now and there is no way it will get better no matter what you do.

• Plz put him out of his misery, would you want what u are doing to him to happen to u. Would u like to suffer like this too? Why are you making him hang on and die withpain? The vets make it easy, they fall asleep and never wake up. My God let the dog rest from his suffering!!!

• First, I am sorry that you are faced with this situation. Second, it is good that we have the options for our pets to put them to sleep without having to worry about the legal consequences.With that said, I would opt to have your beloved friend put to rest. To suffer like that and there is no cure, it is not a nice way to go. There are the ethical questions about assisting a living creature to move on but in this case, in my book, it is ok.I will keep you in my thoughts. Do what feels better for the long run. No matter the choice, it will not be easy. I had to put my cat to sleep when he had terminal cancer. It seemed very peaceful. I was in the room when they did it. It took less than 20 seconds. He just relaxed and did not wake back up.Have one last meal with him and take him for a walk if he can. Good luck...

• while im typing my answer to ur question tears r rolling in my eyes because we do have the same situation but it was 3 years ago,Rambo our pet dog died of cancer (tumor on his rib area). we love rambo so much bcoz he was so faithful and intelligent dog. yes, we put him to sleep and it was very painful to me and to my family.

• I had a female red and white Pitty named Noey who I pts at 14 months old due to bladder cancer. The tumor had taken up 75% of her bladder and was inoperable. I was devastated when they did the ultra sound and x-rays and told me what was wrong with her.I took her home ,it was about 2 weeks before Thanks Giving that Noey was diagnosed.We let her be as comfortable as possible .Then on January 15th we pts. It was a tough decision to make. My hubby let me decide when it was time. Noey let me know.I can't tell you what to do . I just watched for signs . Noey couldn't go to bathroom with out pain ,she was bleeding blod clots. It was terrible ,and it hurt me more to see her like that.I knew it was time.I had her cremated and I have her ashes.

• The answer lies with the owner.I had a dog too that died of the same cancer.We watched her suffer in pain as we just couldn't bear the thought of killing her.I mean every living thing has the right to live.It was painful.We tried to pray for the best that she somehow may get better but it did not.In the end she suffered for a few days.It was our greatest regret.So my advice..put the dog to sleep and spare him the misery.

• Please read the poem posted by Chetco in this thread:http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AiwECHXaI3UljYTrVBlkhRnsy6IX?qid=20061003011357AAdtYnuAnd please read my answer to the person in this thread:http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AvN3ibpwO3VeDComUWVZtw3sy6IX?qid=20060928003112AATfdDzI hope that doing so will help you make your decision. You need to give some serious thought to what we posted, and you'll know in your heart what to do. Give him a good ear rub or belly rub for me.

• aww im really sorry about your dog. its hard to lose a pet and i know how you feel. my german sheperd had cancer. She was a very jumpy dog and we named her tigger but when she got cancer, she couldnt walk, couldnt really move and she was an outside dog so she really didnt come inside that much. we put her in blankets outside until finally we just had to put her to sleep. it was the hardest thing to do but i almost felt better about it because she looked so peaceful when she went to "sleep". its up to you personally becuase its hard to let a pet go especially that young. i would put him to sleep just to take the pain away from him.

• I believe that euthanasia is the right thing to do. I set up an appointment to have my dog euthanized -the last appointment of the day. I spent the entire day with him just goofing around and when it can time I really wasn't ready but I knew it was best for him. The vet gave him a tranquilizer and let us sit in the room for a while, then asked if I was ready. He gave me the option of leaving but I stayed while they gave him the final shot. If given the option would I do it again... yes. Am I looking forward to having my other dog go... no. But it is reality and part of being a responsible dog owner. Be strong and do what is right for your best friend.

• I'm so sorry about your dog, please don't allow him to suffer, I used to breed Pit-Bulls and my favorite Stud came down with cancer, After spending thousands of dollars to make him feel better, I realized that he wasn't making any improvements and suffering even more from the treatments they were giving him. I had to have him put down and I held him during this procedure. That was one of the hardest days of my life!!

• I'm so sorry but it's the kindest thing you can do to put him to sleep. MAKING THAT FINAL DECISION TO SAY GOOD-BYEYou're giving me a special gift, So sorrowfully endowed, And through these last few cherished days, Your courage makes me proud. But really, love is knowing when your best friend is in pain, And understanding earthly acts. Will only be in vain. So looking deep into your eyes, Beyond, into your soul, I see in you the magic, that will. Once more make me whole. The strength that you possess, Is why I look to you today, To do this thing that must be done, For it's the only way. That strength is why I've followed you, And chose you as my friend, And why I've loved you all these years...My partner till the end. Please, understand just what this gift You're giving, means to me, It gives me back the strength I've lost, And all my dignity. You take a stand on my behalf, For that is what friends do. And know that what you do is right, For I believe it too. So one last time, I breathe your scent, And through your hand I feel, The courage that's within you, To now grant me this appeal. Cut the leash that holds me here, Dear friend, and let me run, Once more a strong and steady dog, My pain and struggle done. And don't despair my passing, For I won't be far away, Forever here, within your heart, And memory I'll stay. I'll be there watching over you, Your ever faithful friend, And in your memories I'll run,... a young dog once again.***author unknown