My dog is dieing of cancer. Should we have him put to sleep?

He is only 5 years old, but has terminal cancer. My vet said that whenever we felt it was time, we could have it done. The cancer has spread through his lungs, and he has started caughing blood. I'm afraid he will choke on blood and die a frightening…

My dog is dieing of cancer. Should we have him put to sleep?

He is only 5 years old, but has terminal cancer. My vet said that whenever we felt it was time, we could have it done. The cancer has spread through his lungs, and he has started caughing blood. I'm afraid he will choke on blood and die a frightening…...
    General Dog Discussions : My dog is dieing of cancer. Should we have him put to sleep?...

• Very hard. I had 3 chow chows and the baby had stomach and liver cancer. She was 7, and I expected to have her after the other 2 (momma and poppa) died. I didn't know about the stomach until after I had surgery performed to remove the liver cancer. She was dying in front of me. I had her euthanized and cried for days. I still miss her.

• I'm sorry for you and your dog. It is time for him. Vets never mention euthanasia unless it's really bad, and maybe not even then. But believe me, when a dog starts looking bad, it is feeling really, really bad. And a lot worse than it looks. If he is coughing up blood, he is going to die within a very short time anyway, and he's definitely hurting.The same thing happened to my dog in August. I hoped for the better for sure, but when he coughed up two wads of blood and looked really bad, I knew then he was a gonner for sure. I took him in and got him looked at one last time and then once a decision was made, or rather I realized for sure what was best, he crawled in my lap and I hugged him and he got the shot and went to sleep in my arms.I probably shouldn't have waited so long, because I knew he was hurting. A minute or so after the shot when the nurse vet picked him up, blood poured out of his mouth, that's how bad he was. He didn't look that bad. Donovan was a good dog and very brave and he stood proud to the end. I was always proud of him and I know even at the end he didn't want to let me down and that was why he fought so hard even at the end to be strong. Now I know how bad he was, but I didn't realize before taking him in for the shot, just how bad he was.Dogs will fight and do anything for their masters until death, even if it means their death. In the case of my dog and your dog, they are just holding on to please us and to care for us. I did what I could for my dog and held him and talked to him and hugged him. Hopefully being strong for me and loving each other was the last moment of his life as he went to sleep, and not the suffering.Looking back, I wish I took him in earlier, but I myself wasn't ready to say goodbye or accept it until then. I did the best I could for him and he did the best he could for me. It is all you can do. You just have to make the best of it. Letting my dog go out while loving him and while he knew I loved him was better than letting him live in suffering just for the sake of it. I wouldn't want him dying in pain and from being overwhelmed by the illness or drowning in his own blood. That would be horrible.With the shot at least he went peacefully to sleep in my arms. I cried and cried and cried that night, but I know I did the best thing, and in the end it was all I could do for my friend, my good boy Donovan. I know he did all he could for me, and if things were reversed, he would have done the same for me. We both always wanted the best for each other, and we both knew that, even at the end.

• The hardest think you will have to do, is love him enough to let him go. He is depending you, as always to do for him what he can't do for himself. He is suffering let him go to his peace he has earnt that for be your dog all this time.