3 year old Alaskan malamute is starting to turn aggressive why?

I have a 3 year old <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/10-alaskan-malamute/?s=c5119799a5d6e379152ab039ddb85bcebbfff763">alaskan malamute</a> that we have raise since 8 weeks of age. This dog is the sweetest dog and has never had a problem with him, until about two weeks ago he is starting to get food aggressive and he has bitten my 4 year old just because…

I have a 3 year old <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/10-alaskan-malamute/?s=c5119799a5d6e379152ab039ddb85bcebbfff763">alaskan malamute</a> that we have raise since 8 weeks of age. This dog is the sweetest dog and has never had a problem with him, until about two weeks ago he is starting to get food aggressive and he has bitten my 4 year old just because…...
    General Dog Discussions : 3 year old Alaskan malamute is starting to turn aggressive why?...

• 3 year old Alaskan malamute is starting to turn aggressive why?

3 year old Alaskan malamute is starting to turn aggressive why? General Dog Discussions
      I have a 3 year old alaskan malamute that we have raise since 8 weeks of age. This dog is the sweetest dog and has never had a problem with him, until about two weeks ago he is starting to get food aggressive and he has bitten my 4 year old just because she walked by his dog house. He will be laying in it and she just walks by and he bits her.He has never acted like this and I don't know what has changed since then.

3 year old Alaskan malamute is starting to turn aggressive why? General Dog Discussions
    • Make sure:1- You are still giving it the attention you used to give it. Some dogs get jealous when they see you playing with other dogs / children.2- It's not being given any treats or home food that contains caffeine / chocolate etc.3- Take it to the doctor and check if its in pain.

• You need to have him examined by a vet. Sudden and unexplained aggression can sometimes be a symptom of an illness or pain.You also need to contact his breeder (assuming you got him from a decent breeder), and discuss the issue with them. Find out about any potential aggression in his bloodlines, or among his littermates.If neither of these things gives you any insight, you need to hire a trainer/behaviorist to evaluate your dog, and see if you can solve this. You also need to decide if the dog poses too much risk to your small child.

• Well, first thing is first, you need to rehome him with a famiy that has no children. Call the mal rescue group associated withthe national breed club and they can help you. My guess is that he is outside day in and day out with no real structured exercise or interaction with the family. I may be wrong, but it's pretty typical for a dog in that situation to become possessive and aggressive. Especially a breed that needs constant socialization and lots of exercise.

• If you didn't fix him, that could be a huge issue.The other one is pain and he should be checked by a VET ASAP.Please do not think of re-homing him or dumping him on a Rescue until you've done everything you can think of.I would also change your pack order. Mals are very much a pack animal, we have 2 Giant Alaskan Malamutes from a Rescue.My son is our pack leader, the Alpha. It is very important to make the child the Alpha and quite easy to do.He is the one to feed the dogs, he goes through every door before they do, he gets his popciscle first, etc. I would check with the vet though...and a good trainer if you haven't done that yet.