My golden retriever has a cataract on her right eye. Should she have surgery to remove it?

My golden is 8 years old and has had the cataract for the past few years. Just recently it started getting bigger and I'm concerned her vision has been affected. Are cataract surgeries on dogs effective?

My golden retriever has a cataract on her right eye. Should she have surgery to remove it?

My golden is 8 years old and has had the cataract for the past few years. Just recently it started getting bigger and I'm concerned her vision has been affected. Are cataract surgeries on dogs effective?...
    General Dog Discussions : My golden retriever has a cataract on her right eye. Should she have surgery to remove it?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My golden retriever has a cataract on her right eye. Should she have surgery to remove it?

My golden retriever has a cataract on her right eye. Should she have surgery to remove it? General Dog Discussions
      My golden is 8 years old and has had the cataract for the past few years. Just recently it started getting bigger and I'm concerned her vision has been affected. Are cataract surgeries on dogs effective?

My golden retriever has a cataract on her right eye. Should she have surgery to remove it? General Dog Discussions
    • No. Use the drops.A large majority of post surgical animals end up with a luxated lens within 3 years of the surgery. It is very, very common. At that time, sight is lost forever with no hope of help. Use the drops. Use the drops. Use the drops. They never cause a luxation.Don't just listen to one vet trying to sell you a surgery. Look it up on the web. It is a very common problem. And why spend $3500, cause the dog pain, then have her end up blind in 2-3 years. Just use the drops to preserve what sight you can.