how much does surgery on a hamster usually cost when he has a tumor?

im sorta broke but i want my hamster to live. i dont want her to die. i hate seeing animals in pain. i want to go to the vet but i dont think i can.

im sorta broke but i want my hamster to live. i dont want her to die. i hate seeing animals in pain. i want to go to the vet but i dont think i can....
    General Dog Discussions : how much does surgery on a hamster usually cost when he has a tumor?...

• how much does surgery on a hamster usually cost when he has a tumor?

how much does surgery on a hamster usually cost when he has a tumor? General Dog Discussions
      im sorta broke but i want my hamster to live. i dont want her to die. i hate seeing animals in pain. i want to go to the vet but i dont think i can.

how much does surgery on a hamster usually cost when he has a tumor? General Dog Discussions
    • I hate to say it, but tumor surgery on a regular pet like a dog or a cat can run into thousands of dollars, and even then the chances of a productive life are iffy. Hamsters are considered a more exotic pet and not usually operated on. The price would be even worse. I'm afraid your pint-sized sweetie is best off getting euthanized and entering a pain-free world.

• surgery on small exotics (which is what 'pocket pets' are considered) varies from vet to vet. It does usually run less than a dog or cat, as it takes less anesthetic to put them out. And prices generally go by surgery time and anesthetic used. Hamsters generally live a year and a half to two years, so you'd have to weigh how close he was to that. If this is a young animal, he could end up living quite some time afterward. If he's older, you might opt not to do so. If he is older and it's impairing his movement, etc, then you might opt for humane euthanasia at the vets.

• If you want to spend your money for surgery on a hamster when you can buy 500 hamsters for the same price, that has to be your decision but your also talking to a man that just spent $275.00 for an x-ray on a rat that I knew was dying. it's all about morals and what you can live with. in my case, it was for this sweet 13 year old niece and I needed to do that knowing it wouldn't make it through the night. its your choose, good luck

• A hamster's system is so delicate that surgery is really not a good option. It sounds like the tumor is very advanced also from the size menioned in last question. Just take comfort in knowing you did a great job caring for your hamster and that you loved it alot.

• I am so sorry to hear that your hamster has a tumor. I am assuming that you already know it is a tumor and not just a fibroid?Members of the rodent family, like a hamster, are very prone to cancerous tumors. This is due to both their relatively short life spans and that this is something that is an inbred trait in some strains. Hamsters age approximately 30-35 people years for every human year.I went through this many many times when I bred domestic rats. Rats are also known for their frequency of contracting cancer which is why they are used for cancer treatment research. It is a natural phenomenon with these guys.I had to put...let's see...Dancer, Comet, Cupid, Rudolph (Rudy),Doc, Sleepy, Gangly, Ernie and Burt to sleep. They all had lumps that a vet looked at to confirm cancer. When my baby looked like he or she was beginning to be in pain (sleeping more, not moving around as much, talking more to me), I did not hesitate to bring them to the vet to be humanely put to sleep. I held them as the vet euthanized them and held them until they died. Figured it was the last bit of comfort and familiarity I could give them.It sounds like money is tight, so you might want to try calling an ASPCA or shelter. They will a lot of times be able to get you medical help for your baby-girl at no or minimal cost.Jeez, my heart goes out to you. I understand how very difficult this must be for you.I'm around and I hope you find hope in this tough and trying part of your life.

• A surgery on a mouse (abcess, not a tumor) cost me around $150, plus medication. I've never kept hamsters, but I've kept a lot of mice, and several of them developed tumors. I've done some research on it, and it seems like tumor removal is not a good idea for small animals; most of the time, if the animal even survives the surgery, the tumor grows right back within days or weeks - either at the same spot, or in a different place on their body. It is too difficult to remove all of it. You can still take your hamster to the vet and get a professional opinion. I would vote against surgery, the odds are too slim it will work. I had my tumor mice euthanised when the tumors grew so big as to make them uncomfortable. They seemed to handle things ok 'til the last days, didn't seem to be in pain, and ate normally.