Anyone know of successful therapy for a brain damaged cat?

I found a stray cat (about 1 year old) sitting in the road in front of my house. He was covered in oil, but especially his bottom side. No blood or obvious injuries. He shows signs of traumatic brain injury (holding his head to the side, walking in…

I found a stray cat (about 1 year old) sitting in the road in front of my house. He was covered in oil, but especially his bottom side. No blood or obvious injuries. He shows signs of traumatic brain injury (holding his head to the side, walking in…...
    General Dog Discussions : Anyone know of successful therapy for a brain damaged cat?...

• Anyone know of successful therapy for a brain damaged cat?

Anyone know of successful therapy for a brain damaged cat? General Dog Discussions
      I found a stray cat (about 1 year old) sitting in the road in front of my house. He was covered in oil, but especially his bottom side. No blood or obvious injuries. He shows signs of traumatic brain injury (holding his head to the side, walking in circles, 3rd eyelid out when it shouldn't be, pupils dilating unevenly). I caught him and considered calling animal control, thinking he might be best "put out of his misery"... but my moral dilemma was he didn't appear to be exhibiting misery, or any pain at all. Not knowing if such symptoms ever resolve themselves, I took him to a vet that helps with strays locally. I caught them at closing time, but they stayed after and gave him some fluids, an emergency flea pill, and a Frontline treatment. Apparently such injuries are fairly rare (if an accident occurs that causes that amount of damage, it generally kills the cat), so I'm having trouble finding any success stories.I'm two vets, three vet trips, 11 days, and lots of TLC into this little cat adventure. The only two times the cat has appeared to be heading "downhill", he was dehydrated, and fluids and a steroid shot helped. Today, his eyes are much clearer. Originally, they frequently crossed, and the pupils dilated unevenly. I've been doing physical therapy (stretching limbs, testing his reflexes, holding his head under his chin so he can walk, etc.) since day one, but now he's refusing to participate in the "walking therapy." As he seems more aware and generally healthier, I wonder if this isn't just stubbornness. However, on the rare occasion I do get him to move the back legs, they tend to cross each other as he puts them down. Poor little guy. His vertigo seems terrible. I'm not opposed to putting a hopeless cat to sleep, but I more or less made the decision not to put this cat to sleep so long as he continues to show signs of improvement, and so long as he doesn't appear to be in pain or distress. However, I would feel much better if anyone had an example of a similarly-acting cat that recovered (or even one that didn't) to compare this little guy's story to. If you've ever dealt with a similar injury, what type of physical therapy helped best? Thanks

Anyone know of successful therapy for a brain damaged cat? General Dog Discussions
    • I would give your cat fish oil:http://search.yahoo.com/tablet/s?ei=UTF-8&p=omega+3+fatty+acids%2C+brain+injury&fr=ipadIt is being used for human brain trauma by cutting edge doctors, even for military PTSD. I think it should work well for a cat. Start slow and build up, drop by drop.

• Not a day goes by that I don't wonder if my dog would have been better off put down. I adopted her because she looks like my other dog and I fell in love. She is needy, she has behavior issues, she is incontinent form a lifetime spent in a cage and she loves me and NEEDS me one minute, then can't remember who I am the next. She gets out and gets confused and the neighbors have to bring her home or she will scratch the wrong door for hours, meanwhile I don't even know she's missing. I think she's sleeping. She has cost me well over a thousand dollars in vet bills and doesn't add a great deal of joy to our lives. Sometimes she does something adorable, but mostly she whines, scratches, chases her tail (chronic infection that the vets can't fix) and she's just miserable. Not in pain, just miserable. I just had to buy her a special warming pad for her arthritis. I think putting her out of her misery at the height of her pain would have been the most humane treatment.