Help my dog is 4 years old and is getting very aggressive?

She has attacked me and my boyfriend and his son. She is getting to were you can't even put your face by her or she will bite you. If i get her fixed will this help? If not what should i do? When she was a puppy she didn't like you around her food or…

She has attacked me and my boyfriend and his son. She is getting to were you can't even put your face by her or she will bite you. If i get her fixed will this help? If not what should i do? When she was a puppy she didn't like you around her food or…...
    General Dog Discussions : Help my dog is 4 years old and is getting very aggressive?...

• Help my dog is 4 years old and is getting very aggressive?

Help my dog is 4 years old and is getting very aggressive? General Dog Discussions
      She has attacked me and my boyfriend and his son. She is getting to were you can't even put your face by her or she will bite you. If i get her fixed will this help? If not what should i do? When she was a puppy she didn't like you around her food or toys so we stopped giving her toys and won't go around her when she is eating. If we give her a bone you can't get anywhere close to her. now it's to the point if you pet her of kiss her she is attacking you

Help my dog is 4 years old and is getting very aggressive? General Dog Discussions
    • There could be several reasons for your dogs aggression. Can you be more specific about it? Is it strictly around her food or toys? Things like that...Ok Im new to this so this is the only way that I know how to respond... Her actions are known as resource guarding which is common in dogs that may have been neglected or have been strays like shelter dogs. There are some videos on youtube about resource guarding that you might want to watch. You also might want to have her seen by a vet just in case. My family had a cat that turned extremely aggressive out of no where and it was due to a brain tumor. I hope this helps

• It sounds like it started as resource guarding and has developed into aggression. I would first take her to a vet and get her a complete physical. Dogs can become aggressive if they are in pain or have a brain tumour, so you really need to have all these dismissed. Also get her sight checked, I know of one dog that became snappy because sight in one eye was very bad.I wish you had said what breed your dog was. Basically, if she passes the physical, then you are dealing with an extremely alpha female dog, who has taken the position that she is the boss and she can order you around.I would get in an animal behaviourist, because most dogs don't act this way unless the owners allow them to think this, so you have to drastically change the way you treat this dog.1. If she was allowed on bed and sofa's, stop it now, only masters sit up high as this is considered a dominant position by dogs.2. She is never allowed on your bed, instead she sleeps in a crate in another room from you, your bed and your bedroom are only for you.3. Start to do some serious obedience training, your dog must learn to obey you, this not only helps control her, but everytime she obeys you it is being re-enforced that your the boss.4. Make her sit and wait for her food, food is a controlled substance and its up to you when to feed her, so make her sit and stay for 2 minutes before allowing her to eat (make sure she is on a leash before putting the food down).5. When she tries to bite you, I would chase her into another room or outside, your the boss and how dare she attack you. If you are afraid of her, then get a very large strong cardboard box, flatten it and use it to physically push the dog out of the room.Don't ever kiss the dog, when you lower your head and kiss a dog you are sending them a message that they are the boss, the lowering head and kissing is similar to a puppy licking the face of the parent dog, get the idea, this is NEVER to happen again.In general, I would ignore the dog more, she is not the centre of your universe. If she comes up for attention, then she must work for it first, so make her do obedience for play/attention and don't be afraid to say no and send her away sometimes, your the boss your allowed to be moody.I would also look at her diet, is she being made irritable by having a poor diet? if you are feeding a cheeper kibble, then try a better one or feed raw.I have supplied a link to NILIF to give you some more ideas, just remember that you dog is at the worse end and many of these things your dog should never be allowed to do again. I hope this gives you some ideas and hope it works out for you.