I have chi pug mix with Mild Luxating patella, can she have baby aspirin?

I'm so confused. My vet in the last city I lived in says yes, my current vet says no. I've heard baby asprin is okay, but now I'm not sure. Should I ask another vet? Is there something OTC at the pet store I can try?She's in pain because it's cold out.…

I'm so confused. My vet in the last city I lived in says yes, my current vet says no. I've heard baby asprin is okay, but now I'm not sure. Should I ask another vet? Is there something OTC at the pet store I can try?She's in pain because it's cold out.…...
    General Dog Discussions : I have chi pug mix with Mild Luxating patella, can she have baby aspirin?...

• I have chi pug mix with Mild Luxating patella, can she have baby aspirin?

I have chi pug mix with Mild Luxating patella, can she have baby aspirin? General Dog Discussions
      I'm so confused. My vet in the last city I lived in says yes, my current vet says no. I've heard baby asprin is okay, but now I'm not sure. Should I ask another vet? Is there something OTC at the pet store I can try?She's in pain because it's cold out. It's 17 degrees! It gets cold inside as well. Not every dog responds the same. I think she played too rough because she was fine yesterday.

I have chi pug mix with Mild Luxating patella, can she have baby aspirin? General Dog Discussions
    • they sell dog aspirin at pet storeshuman meds can kill a dog if they aren't prescribed by a vet that knows dog and healthif mild i don't understand why she is in painmine is waiting fo vet to decide when surgery is needed and only time she shows any pain is when it is popped out. and then only for a minute or two.

• The dosage for aspirin is 10 mg per pound of body weight every 12 hours. Don't use coated aspirin, and don't use completely uncoated aspirin. The dog may not break down the coating and thus may not get any medication into the bloodstream, and the uncoated is hard on the stomach. Give buffered aspirin if possible, and always with food.There are mixed opinions on aspirin. There are more effective pain medications available through your vet, and aspirin is hard on their G.I. tract. It's an okay short-term thing, but long term I would not suggest it. If your dog needs long term pain management then you need to get something from the vet.

• Aspirin can be used in an appropriate dosage for short term treatment of mild discomfort when no trauma was experienced. It should not be used over the long term, as it can damage the stomach lining. Luxating patellas are not painful, though they can CAUSE painful conditions (like arthritis). If your dog is arthritic, a vet should be consulted about appropriate long-term pain management options.