What happens when you put a dog in front of a mirror?

Just a s each person is different, so each dog is different. Some people are University graduates. Some are.........well, not. I have owned dogs that excel in obedience, and others that could not fetch a rubber bone and bring it back if their life and…

Just a s each person is different, so each dog is different. Some people are University graduates. Some are.........well, not. I have owned dogs that excel in obedience, and others that could not fetch a rubber bone and bring it back if their life and…...
    General Dog Discussions : What happens when you put a dog in front of a mirror?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What happens when you put a dog in front of a mirror?

What happens when you put a dog in front of a mirror? General Dog Discussions
      Just a s each person is different, so each dog is different. Some people are University graduates. Some are.........well, not. I have owned dogs that excel in obedience, and others that could not fetch a rubber bone and bring it back if their life and mine depended upon it. Some dogs just know it is nothing to be excited about - others will go around the room all day, so glad to have made a new chum!

What happens when you put a dog in front of a mirror? General Dog Discussions
    • They usually dont react, I think because their is no smell or sound coming from the mirror. I have seen them react to the TV dogs, especially Animal Precinct or Caesar MIlan when the dogs are crying for help. There must be a smell/sound language that is stronger than the sight language.

• If put in front of a mirror,all dogs will see their reflection and think it is another pet.Some may bark and others may not,but they do think it is another pet.

• it depends on the dog...some dogs don't have any reaction while others may get scared and bark and others may think it's another dog and try to get it to play.

• I think it depends on the dog mostly, but every dog I've ever seen in front of a mirror barked at it's reflection like it wanted to play with it. It's actually kind of cute =)

• Does the dog think there is another dog inside the mirror? Does he/she bark? Walk back and forth or what?Does the dog realize that it is him/her?Or does it depend on the individual dog?