What are some reasons why cats pee on the carpet a lot??

I change my cats kitty litter box like atleast every other day. And when she pees on the carpet, she knows im watching. If I do catch her peeing, I used to spank her. But I was told that that doesn't help. So any advice?

I change my cats kitty litter box like atleast every other day. And when she pees on the carpet, she knows im watching. If I do catch her peeing, I used to spank her. But I was told that that doesn't help. So any advice?...
    General Dog Discussions : What are some reasons why cats pee on the carpet a lot??...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What are some reasons why cats pee on the carpet a lot??

What are some reasons why cats pee on the carpet a lot?? General Dog Discussions
      I change my cats kitty litter box like atleast every other day. And when she pees on the carpet, she knows im watching. If I do catch her peeing, I used to spank her. But I was told that that doesn't help. So any advice?

What are some reasons why cats pee on the carpet a lot?? General Dog Discussions
    • If she is peeing in the same spots it could be that you haven't gotten the smell out when you cleaned it up. You can use vinegar or go to a pet store and get a product that is made specifically for pet odors. You have to let the product soak as far into the carpet as the urine did so it will neutralize the odor.You might have to do this more than once to get the smell out. Good luck.

• Yeah, obviously don't spank your cat, because would you beat your kid for wetting the bed? I sure hope not. Your cat probably has a urinary tract infection. So you need to get her the the vets to get some anti-biotics.

• If she is peeing outside of her litterbox...this may be a health related issue. Go to the vet to get a urinalysis as she might have a UTI or crystals in her urine.If not, this is a behavioral issue. Try buying some Cat Attract cat litter. Also buy Comfort Zone with Feliway. Supposed to help cats with behavioral problems such as bad litterbox manners, spraying, etc.

• First off, never hit your cat! Secondly, you should clean a litter box at least once every day. (You should have at least 2 litter boxes per cat.) Perhaps your cat does not like the type of litter you are using-try switching to different types (nonclumping,clumping, crystal,etc.) Most importantly, have your cat checked out by a vet. Urinating outside of the litter box can signal anything from behavioral issues to an actual urinary tract infection. You might also try Feliway- you can buy it at places like Petsmart. It plugs into an electrical outlet (preferably near the litter box) and gives off phermones that calm the cat and discourage urine marking. It may also make a difference if your cat is unspayed/unneutered and you should get them neutered/spayed for health reasons and to reduce overpopulation. Just talk to your vet about behavioral modification methods and to make sure nothing is physically wrong with your cat.

• There are so many possible reasons your cat is doing that - could be emotional too. But when I had that problem, I went out and bought one of those large plastic sweater storage containers that you keep under the bed...I filled it with litter and he started using it. I guess he just felt the other one was too small for him to dig around in. You could try it - they are very inexpensive.Here are some links you can check out:http://www.doityourself.com/stry/litterboxhttp://www.celiahaddon.co.uk/pet%20problems/cats/frameset.htmlhttp://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/Housesoiling.htmlhttp://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Aqo9UGhNaUTFlqsTYnEO6zQjzKIX;_ylv=3?qid=20080226105125AAnou7tStop the Outdoor Cats from MarkingTo stop outdoor cats from marking your belongings, you must first clean them with more than plain soap and water. You will need to use an enzymatic cleaner or one of the formulas from Litter Box Blues:Odor Removers. Next treat the area with a citrus scented solution. Cats don´t like the smell of lemons, limes, oranges, grapefruits or tangerines. You can use a potpourri oil, fruit rinds/peels, or even citrus scented cleaners.This citrus scented solution must be re-applied after rain, and/or the scent disipates. Facts of Marking/SprayingCats mark their territory by ´spraying´ their urine on objects: car tires, bushes, lawn furniture, house doors, gates, rocks, electrical poles... etc. In some cases, they will use their solid waste as a territorial marker, also.Cats will continue to mark their territory, as long as they can smell their own urine or any other cat´s urine on an object. It is the same with the solid waste odors, also.The feline sense of smell is much more sensitive than humans, so simple soap and water will not remove the micororganisms of urine/feces that the cats can smell. To remove that odor you must use an enzymatic cleaner or one of the other formulas found in Litter Box Blues: Odor Removers

• Here are some suggestions to your litter box problems:- Provide a box for each cat - Provide constant access to a box - Go back to previously used brand of litter and/or - Discontinue new disinfectant - Move box to where it was previously used - Eliminate new or frightening noise near litter box - Move food and water away from litter box - If cat is only going in one spot, put the litter box at the exact location and gradually move it back to where you want it at the rate of one foot per day (OR you can simply place a bowl of food there, because cats do not like to go where they eat)- If there are several places, try putting dishes of cat food in those areas to discourage further elimination there - Experiment with different textures of litter (cats prefer sandy litter) - Use a covered litter box for cats that stand in box but eliminate outside of it - Keep in mind that some cats are rather picky, and prefer to have two separate boxes (one to pee in and one to poop in)Problems arise when your cat doesn't like or develops an aversion to the litter box that you have provided. Let's be fair here. There is absolutely no reason to expect every cat to like the same material, or even for one cat to prefer the same material over an entire life span. First lesson learned: You did not train your cat to use a litter box. At best, you offered the cat something recognizable as litter material. If your cat is having litter box problems then you will need to figure out how to make the litter box appealing to the cat. Here are a few options: 1) Pain or illness can cause a cat to stop using the litter box. Cats are very adept at hiding illness, so if your cat is having litter box problems then the first thing you need to do is take the cat to a vet for a medical exam. 2) If you aren't scooping the waste out of the litter every day then you need to start and start now. 3) Perfumes or other odors can drive your cat away from the litter box. Scented litters are unacceptable to many cats, and the leftover scent from a cleaning product could also be a problem. Get rid of the perfumes, and scrub those cleaners away before giving the box back to the cat. Remember that cats have an acute sense of smell. 4) Your cat may feel vulnerable when in the litter box. Is it in a noisy location (such as next to the washing machine)? Is it secure from little marauders like dogs and children, or even other cats? If the box is not semi-private, move it to a better location.5) Remember those preferences that we talked about earlier. You may need to offer several different types of litter before finding the right one. Strange but true, some cats will not use the same box for urine and feces, in which case you'll have to provide two boxes. The type of box could also be a problem. If the box has a cover, try removing it. 6) Anxiety can lead to litter box lapses. Did some event scare your cat? This could be anything from a new couch to a new cat or even a new person in the house. If you suspect anxiety, confine the cat to a safe and secure place (maybe a bed room) until the anxiety has passed. Cats seem to hang on to their emotions, so the anxiety could last much longer than the actual event. No need to rush, leave that safe haven available to the cat for as long as possible. 7) If you have multiple cats, chances are you'll need multiple boxes, maybe even with different materials in them. There is one more important distinction that you'll need to make. Is the cat refusing to use the litter box, or is the cat spraying? Spraying is a territorial behavior and has nothing to do with disliking the box. For more information on litter box problems or spraying, consult with a trained behaviorist.Correcting the Problem The key to solving elimination problems is to make the litter box more attractive, and the area where the cat is soiling instead, unattractive. Sometimes, just cleaning the litter box more frequently or changing its location will correct the problem. Other times, you may need to experiment with different combinations of location and kitty litter to find a solution. You may even want to offer your cat the choice of several different boxes, each with different kinds of litter, to see which he or she prefers. At the same time, you must break the cat's habit of soiling in the new location. Be sure to clean the soiled area thoroughly with a pet odor remover to get rid of any urine scent -- or your cat may be attracted back to the same spot. It's important to keep the cat away from the area. Try covering the spot with carpet runner, prickly side up, or use a device that delivers a harmless static shock or that produces a loud noise when the cat comes near, to help redirect kitty to his litter box. Adding a room deodorizer with a scent the cat finds offensive - such as a strong citrus or floral - can also keep the cat away from the area. When to See the Vet If your cat continues to eliminate outside of the litter box, a trip to the vet is in order to check for health problems. No behavior techniques will help a cat with a problem that requires the attention of a veterinarian. Urinary tract infections are a common cause of litter box problems, which your pet's doctor can diagnose and treat. A urinalysis can also rule out diabetes. Other conditions that may affect elimination behavior include arthritis - which makes is painful to climb in and out of the box - and constipation.Always scoop litter boxes twice a day. When cleaning the litter box, use a mild detergent and finish by rinsing very thoroughly. Never use strong-smelling pine cleansers or ammonia. If you want to disinfect the box with bleach, dilute it with water first. Rinsing the box with boiling water is also effective. With covered cat boxes, the smell can be worse, especially with high humidity, so you must be willing to clean it more.Odor removing tips:Keep in mind that a cat’s sense of smell is fourteen times stronger than that of a human. This is why it is so important for you to thoroughly clean the urine spots. You cat probably still smells the urine in the carpet, and this can make them want to “re-mark” that spot over and over.To remove the smell of urine from just about anything, first clean it with some sort of soap or kitchen cleaner. Then clean it with lemon juice. If you don’t like the smell of lemon juice follow it up with a little bit of vanilla extract. One of the most effective formulas I’ve found for removing ANY odor was from Popular Science Magazine. Mix 1 quart of Hydrogen Peroxide, with 1/4 cup of Baking Soda, and one tablespoon of liquid dishwashing soap. Saturate the affected area, rinse thoroughly with clean water, and the smell is gone. This is non-toxic and safe for your animals and children, and those with allergies. This is especially helpful for removing skunk odor from your outdoor animals. As always, test a small portion of fabric for color fastness, before treating a large area. What Won’t Work… There are many home remedies for treating pet stains and odors, and let me stress that most of them are not too bad as far as removing odors for humans’ noses. Vinegar, ammonia, baking soda, laundry detergents, lemon juice, fabric softeners, and commercial strength pet stain removers are all great for removing the odors that humans can smell. However; you will need more to remove the odor for your cat’s nose. An enzymatic cleaner is the best answer, but it is slow and may take more than one application. (Nature’s Miracle is one of them.) The Hydrogen Peroxide/Baking Soda combo is fast, but can alter the colors of some fabrics. In the end, you must decide which application is best for your situation. Even if you clean a pet stain with soap and water certain micro-organisms remain behind and your pet can smell them. Enzymatic Cleaners are designed to completely eliminate the source of the odor by using enzymes to eat away the micro-organisms that cause the odor. The one drawback to these cleaners is that they are slow; it could take several weeks for them to completely eliminate an odor. Enzymantic Cleaners are available at most pet stores, organic/natural/health food stores, and even some hardware stores. You can also ask your vet for suppliers.