how do i stop my cat from pooping on the floor?

my cat nala she used the litter box all the time. but then i got this new kitten berlioz and he uses the litter box and then nala stopped using it. she poops on the floor. and now berlioz is beginning to do the same thing. can you help me? how do i make…

how do i stop my cat from pooping on the floor?

my cat nala she used the litter box all the time. but then i got this new kitten berlioz and he uses the litter box and then nala stopped using it. she poops on the floor. and now berlioz is beginning to do the same thing. can you help me? how do i make…...
    General Dog Discussions : how do i stop my cat from pooping on the floor?...

• get another litterbox if possible Nala isnt using the one anymore cause an Intruder (thats what she see him as) is using hers.............and that it not acceptable so give one to him and one to her! its mainly about senjority (like if she was there first she gets the rights) so dont panick they just wont use the same one.......................

• Cats do not like using the same litter box. Get a new one and slowly move it to the place your original cats goes to the bathroom. Do it slowly. like move it a little bit each day, cats or kittens do not like change. So if you just put it there they will not use it.

• Get another litter box and try designating one box for one cat and the other for another cat. "punish" them when they mess on the floor... show them the poop, make them smell it, and swat them (don't hurt them)!Reward them for using the box.

• Nala may be territorial and doesn't want to share her litter box....so give her her own litter box and give the new kitty it's own litter box.Try putting the litter box in the spot where nala poops at the most.hope that helps

• Maybe a trip to the vet for Nala....sometimes cats who won't use their litter box has nothing to do with competitive feelings but Feline Leukemia. It may be nothing but why risk it. Also as for the other cat who now poops on the floor he probably just thinks, "hey she can do it....must be ok".

• I had the same exact problem! It sucks but this is what you can do! First cats are territorial and will not go in the same litter box as another cat. Second just buy another kitty litter box, and each time you catch them trying to go on the floor, smack their little booty tell them no, and put them in their own litter! It will do the trick don't worry I had the same exact problem and this fixed it!

• Make sure they have their own litter boxes. A lot of cats don't like sharing their bathroom with other cats. Also if you see them doing it, you could squirt them with a water bottle. They don't like that. Good luck! Cats can be very temperamental:)

• You can't get them to stop crapping on the floor.You might be able to get them to start crappingin cat boxes again...I'd give each their own. I'd confine both catsto small areas each with it's own box forawhile, then after they realize that cat-crapon the floor can be a problem for them too,they might begin depositing it where it belongsagain. Then start letting them out, but maybeconfine them from each other. Maybe someday they'll act like they want toenter each other's territories and be friendsand that's the time to try it. You should neverjust toss animals together and expect nothingbad to happen.

• cats hate dirty smelly litter boxes, you have multiple cats now and the established cat does not like the new guy in his litter box.have to keep the litter pans ultra clean and odor free....and i suggest getting a second pan. get multiple cat formula cat litter to help with odors.cats will refuse to use a little pan that is not up to their standard of clean.Best wishes.

• Here are some suggestions to your litter box problems:- Provide a box for each cat - Change litter daily - Provide constant access to a box - Go back to previously used brand of litter and/or - Discontinue new disinfectant - Move box to where it was previously used - Eliminate new or frightening noise near litter box - Move food and water away from litter box - If cat is only going in one spot, put the litter box at the exact location and gradually move it back to where you want it at the rate of one foot per day (OR you can simply place a bowl of food there, because cats do not like to go where they eat)- If there are several places, try putting dishes of cat food in those areas to discourage further elimination there - Experiment with different textures of litter (cats prefer sandy litter) - Use a covered litter box for cats that stand in box but eliminate outside of it - Keep in mind that some cats are rather picky, and prefer to have two separate boxes (one to pee in and one to poop in)Problems arise when your cat doesn't like or develops an aversion to the litter box that you have provided. Let's be fair here. There is absolutely no reason to expect every cat to like the same material, or even for one cat to prefer the same material over an entire life span. First lesson learned: You did not train your cat to use a litter box. At best, you offered the cat something recognizable as litter material. If your cat is having litter box problems then you will need to figure out how to make the litter box appealing to the cat. Here are a few options: 1) Pain or illness can cause a cat to stop using the litter box. Cats are very adept at hiding illness, so if your cat is having litter box problems then the first thing you need to do is take the cat to a vet for a medical exam. 2) If you aren't scooping the waste out of the litter every day then you need to start and start now. 3) Perfumes or other odors can drive your cat away from the litter box. Scented litters are unacceptable to many cats, and the leftover scent from a cleaning product could also be a problem. Get rid of the perfumes, and scrub those cleaners away before giving the box back to the cat. Remember that cats have an acute sense of smell. 4) Your cat may feel vulnerable when in the litter box. Is it in a noisy location (such as next to the washing machine)? Is it secure from little marauders like dogs and children, or even other cats? If the box is not semi-private, move it to a better location.5) Remember those preferences that we talked about earlier. You may need to offer several different types of litter before finding the right one. Strange but true, some cats will not use the same box for urine and feces, in which case you'll have to provide two boxes. The type of box could also be a problem. If the box has a cover, try removing it. 6) Anxiety can lead to litter box lapses. Did some event scare your cat? This could be anything from a new couch to a new cat or even a new person in the house. If you suspect anxiety, confine the cat to a safe and secure place (maybe a bed room) until the anxiety has passed. Cats seem to hang on to their emotions, so the anxiety could last much longer than the actual event. No need to rush, leave that safe haven available to the cat for as long as possible. 7) If you have multiple cats, chances are you'll need multiple boxes, maybe even with different materials in them. There is one more important distinction that you'll need to make. Is the cat refusing to use the litter box, or is the cat spraying? Spraying is a territorial behavior and has nothing to do with disliking the box. For more information on litter box problems or spraying, consult with a trained behaviorist.Correcting the Problem The key to solving elimination problems is to make the litter box more attractive, and the area where the cat is soiling instead, unattractive. Sometimes, just cleaning the litter box more frequently or changing its location will correct the problem. Other times, you may need to experiment with different combinations of location and kitty litter to find a solution. You may even want to offer your cat the choice of several different boxes, each with different kinds of litter, to see which he or she prefers. At the same time, you must break the cat's habit of soiling in the new location. Be sure to clean the soiled area thoroughly with a pet odor remover to get rid of any urine scent -- or your cat may be attracted back to the same spot. It's important to keep the cat away from the area. Try covering the spot with carpet runner, prickly side up, or use a device that delivers a harmless static shock or that produces a loud noise when the cat comes near, to help redirect kitty to his litter box. Adding a room deodorizer with a scent the cat finds offensive - such as a strong citrus or floral - can also keep the cat away from the area. When to See the Vet If your cat continues to eliminate outside of the litter box, a trip to the vet is in order to check for health problems. No behavior techniques will help a cat with a problem that requires the attention of a veterinarian. Urinary tract infections are a common cause of litter box problems, which your pet's doctor can diagnose and treat. A urinalysis can also rule out diabetes. Other conditions that may affect elimination behavior include arthritis - which makes is painful to climb in and out of the box - and constipation.