how to get into the dog kennel business?

I am graduating high school in a few months and I would like to pursue a job in owning a dog kennel/grooming business. I know you can go to a dog grooming school to get certified to be a dog groomer, but should I go ahead and go to college? If so what…

I am graduating high school in a few months and I would like to pursue a job in owning a dog kennel/grooming business. I know you can go to a dog grooming school to get certified to be a dog groomer, but should I go ahead and go to college? If so what…...
    General Dog Discussions : how to get into the dog kennel business?...

• how to get into the dog kennel business?

how to get into the dog kennel business? General Dog Discussions
      I am graduating high school in a few months and I would like to pursue a job in owning a dog kennel/grooming business. I know you can go to a dog grooming school to get certified to be a dog groomer, but should I go ahead and go to college? If so what degree would I need to pursue this career? I plan on working for someone to start off. Then once I get enough experience I would love to have my own kennel/grooming business.

how to get into the dog kennel business? General Dog Discussions
    • what do you mean by kennel? Like a place where bring their dogs while they go on vacation, or a breeding kennel? If you want to do either, I would take animal behaviour classes, that goes for grooming too. Animal behavior studies is a major. You can get good internships and things like that through college too. If you want to breed, which I assume you don't, but what do I know, then you would also have to take animal genetics and husbandry classes

• I work at a kennel. And let me tell you, it is not doing well in this economy. The only time it's really ever busy is well during Christmas and other major holidays. The owners are struggling a lot.But, she started off with being a dog groomer in Vegas. One of the top ones. And bought a kennel from someone selling theirs. I'm not really sure if she went to college. I know in Kansas, there is a law you have to have like 15 or so acres before you are allowed to open. I don't think there would be a big change in other states. And you would have to get your license for it from your state. And yes, I would suggest you start working for someone and talk to them about the hardships and the pluses of owning such a place.And you would have to always have to buy a constant supply of bleach and Pine sol. Which is what we clean the runs with. Enough to kill the bacteria and such but not hurt the dogs.Good luck. :]