why is it ''mean'' to declaw a cat?

people say it's inhumane and hurts the cat, why?if it is so inhumane then why is it legal?some one told me that in many countries it is illegal.is this true?

people say it's inhumane and hurts the cat, why?if it is so inhumane then why is it legal?some one told me that in many countries it is illegal.is this true?...
    General Dog Discussions : why is it ''mean'' to declaw a cat?...

• why is it ''mean'' to declaw a cat?

why is it ''mean'' to declaw a cat? General Dog Discussions
      people say it's inhumane and hurts the cat, why?if it is so inhumane then why is it legal?some one told me that in many countries it is illegal.is this true?

why is it ''mean'' to declaw a cat? General Dog Discussions
    • the nature of cats is to have nails. declawing means your cat will be in bandages for weeks! it won't be able to protect itself if it ever needs to. its cruel.

• Cats use claws for balance so by de-clawing him you are taking this from him. Also if your cats escapes he will have nothing to protect himself with if he encounters another cat.Please don't do it it should be illegal everywhere.

• I doubt that it is illegal in many countries.People would tell me it's like us getting out finger nails removed but they ARE asleep during the surgery and of course it will hurt for a few days or so but they'll be fine.I honestly only feel it is cruel if you get both front AND back claws removed, since they won't be able to scratch themselves.edit: Um my cats seem to balance themselves fine and are perfectly happy. They DO learn how to live without claws, but I agree they shouldn't be outside as they cant defend themselves as easily. However, if they will be indoor cats it really benefits when you don't have to spend hundreds of dollars getting new furniture (and scratching posts don't help too much for indoor cats either!)And I have a feeling you people giving my thumbsdowns either have an outdoor cat so obviously they need claws (declawing is for completely indoor cats only!!), they are broke from buying all new furniture, or have a house with torn up furniture....

• Yes it is illegal in many countries, pretty much all of Europe, and it is painful for the cat, and if it were ever to get outside it could never defend itself or have trouble getting food etc."Although common in North America[1], declawing is rarely practiced outside North America and is considered an act of animal cruelty in certain other regions (see "Declawing practices" below)."

• Basically, when you declaw a cat, it's equal to someone amputating your finger out to the first knuckle. It's not beneficial to the cat, it's something humans do for their convenience. There are other ways to get your cat to stop clawing things, including keeping their claws trimmed, and there are even nail tips that glue to their claws so they don't damage furniture. They eventually come off so they have to be re-applied. I'm not sure about places where it's illegal, but I don't think it's good for them.

• Declawing is a mutilation of the paws where the first joint of the toes is amputated. It is illegal in almost all civilized countries. The US and Canada keep it legal because of the convenience to the owners. Cat lovers are trying to have it banned here as well. Declawed cats often develop behavioral issues such as biting and not using the litter box (because it hurts to scratch in the litter). They are often turned in to shelters by dissatisfied owners. Declawed cats can also develop joint problems because they are forced to learn to walk in an unnatural way due to their paws being altered. Declawed cats must be kept indoors because they have no defenses against predators, etc. Cats have a natural instinct to scratch. Declawing takes away the ability to do so. Here is a website with lots of info on declawing.http://www.pawsneedclaws.com/Declaw_Information.phpThere are plenty of effective, humane ways to control scratching, they just aren't as easy having the cat declawed, therefore lazy cat owners continue to mutilate.

• It isn't mean if you want your cat to be an inside cat only..Cats by nature are climbers and you will save a lot of your drapes from being torn plus other things in the home they can shred.. However you must keep the cat inside..If allowed out you have taken their most important defensive weapon away from them.. In a cat fight they could be badly maimed if not killed and against a dog they wouldn't stand a chance..I have never heard any legality regarding claw removal ..

• omg !! plz dont do this to a cat!! its imhumane bcuz ur taking there CLAWS AWAY!!! how are they gonna protect themselvs? how r they gonna climb trees and do evrything normal cats do!! it should be illegal EVERYWHERE!! not to mention it freken hurts!! why dont u take ur fingers and toes off? its honestly the same thing. http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1204177/why_you_shouldnt_have_your_cats_claws.html?cat=53

• Declawing is the amputation of a cat's toes.Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's the proper solution for all cats. Just because removal of the appendix is legal in people doesn't mean it should always be done!It is illegal in the UK as far as I know.

• Because it's severing the first joint of every one of their toes! Cat claws are retractable so they really don't declaw the cat - they DETOE it! It's such a painful thing to do for a cat that cats are often permanently crippled and suffer psychological trauma that stays with them through life. Cats that have had their claws removed often turn into biters since they can't defend themselves with their paws. And then what happens when the cat starts biting? The owner dumps it at a shelter - I've seen this SO many times over the last 20 years I've volunteered with shelters. Then we're stuck with a cat that we can only rehome to a house with no other cats or dogs.It's also a completely unnecessary procedure. Trim your cat's nails regularly and give it alternate surfaces to scratch - that's all you've got to do. Yes - it is illegal in many countries: England Scotland Wales Italy France Germany Austria Switzerland Norway Sweden Netherlands Northern Ireland Ireland Denmark Finland Slovenia Portugal Belgium Brazil Australia New Zealand Yugoslavia JapanAnd hopefully someday soon will be EVERYWHERE. Why is it still legal here? Because big surprise - the United States isn't as kind and caring about animals as they like to think they are. Pretty sad when the US is supposed to be a "world power" and yet still mutilates their pets. Same with dogs - tail docking and ear clipping are illegal in the UK - but legal here.

• It is if you let you outside then they will have no means to proctect themselves, but if they are indoor cats then I guess it don't matter much I am not totally sure to be honest. If your cat attacks you alot then you might do it so they won't hurt you as much.

• Read what Keltic Knot had to say in this post.http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AvHK5ik2XcfEGfoi5Tt_yP3sy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20090410143239AAIEra3&show=7#profile-info-ZJUyEOX8aaYes, mercifully, it is not legal in many countries.

• Yes, that is true. The surgery is basically an American trend, and is considered inhumane and is illegal in many countries, (England, Scotland, Wales, Italy, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Norway, Sweden, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Denmark, Finland, Slovenia, Portugal, Belgium, Brazil, Australia, New Zealand, Yugoslavia and Japan). If that doesn’t impact your opinion about declawing, maybe this website will help you decide: http://community-2.webtv.net/stopdeclaw/declawpics/ Cats that have been declawed…… Can resort to biting, because that is their only means of defense. … Can develop aversions to the litter box because their paws are sensitive and sore.… Have to learn how to walk all over again. Cats walk on their toes, so when you amputate the entire last joint of each toe, walking will be very painful for quite a while.… Will be less able to defend themselves if they should ever get loose.… Can become less playful and less active.… Will never be able to stretch their back muscles like they used to. Cats use their claws as an anchor as they stretch; when you take their claws away, they don’t have this ability anymore.… Often get dumped at shelters to be euthanized because of these problems that the owner actually caused.… Could have been taught to use a scratching post.I believe that most people who have their cats declawed are uneducated about the procedure, its effects and the alternatives. It is not very difficult to train your cat to use a scratching post. The surgery is not simply a trimming of the claws, it’s an amputation of the distal phalanx, including bones, ligaments, and tendons! To remove the claw, the bone, nerve, joint capsule, collateral ligaments, and the extensor and flexor tendons must all be amputated. If you were to make a comparison, it would be like having the last joint of each of our fingers chopped off. So of course it is a painful surgery, with a painful recovery. There are often many complications in the healing process, including infection often from litter box use, resulting in a life-long aversion to the litter box. Other declawed cats that can no longer mark with their claws, will mark with urine instead, resulting in inappropriate elimination problems. Many cats that have been declawed are traumatized and become withdrawn, nervous, fearful and/or aggressive. Cats that went through the painful surgery are more prone to resort to biting when they feel threatened. Since cats have emotional feelings, (just like we do) they can resent you if you decided to get them declawed. All of these things can cause depression and ultimately lead to a lazy, overweight cat.If a cat that has been declawed accidentally escapes, he/she would be in great danger. A cat needs its claws to defend itself, as well as to escape by climbing. The constant state of stress, caused by a feeling of defenselessness may make some declawed cats more prone to disease. Also they cannot stretch their back and shoulder muscles like they do naturally when they dig their claws into a scratching post. One popular alternative is Soft Paws. They are lightweight vinyl nail caps that you glue on the cat's front claws. They're great for households with small children and are extremely useful for people who are away from home all day and can't exercise the watchfulness necessary to train a cat to use a scratching post. Soft Paws are easy to apply and last about four to six weeks. They come in clear or colors--which are really fun.Q: So, how do I get my cat to stop scratching the furniture?A: The idea isn't to make your cat stop scratching, but to give her a place she can scratch. Cats need to scratch to keep their claws in good shape, to mark their territory with scent glands in their feet, and to stretch their muscles. It is natural behavior that shouldn't be punished at all! If you give her a nice tall (at least two feet high) scratching post she will most likely use it, happily. Posts covered in sisal rope are great, but my cats like the kind covered in carpet. A tall cat tree near a window would be even better.You can try sprinkling it with catnip to attract her to it. If that doesn't work, use your own nails to scratch at the post while your cat is watching. It may sound silly, but it works. Any time you catch her scratching the “wrong” thing, don’t get mad and yell, just gently carry her to the post. If she still doesn’t seem to catch on, you can gently pick up her paws and rub them along the post. You should not force her; the point is to show her. Doing so will deposit her scent on the post, which should make her want to scratch it later on. Cats that have been yelled at each time they are caught scratching will be more reluctant to use the post in front of you, at first. This is why it’s important to praise her immediately. You could also try spraying a cat repellant, (you can find at just about any pet store) on the furniture or carpet where she scratches. When you observe her using the post, give her lots of verbal praise and attention. Speak in a tone of voice that you would use to praise a child; she will understand. If she still refuses to use the scratching post you have provided, then you need to try a different kind. Try something taller, like a cat tree. The kinds with several different textures are great because each cat is different.Q: How do I trim my cat’s claws?A: Trimming your cat’s claws can benefit both of you. If your cat ever snuggles up to you and starts kneading on your leg, then you probably know that this can actually be a painful experience! A regular trimming will end your pain. Cats with sharp claws can also accidentally hurt you while playing. So, learning how to trim your cat’s claws can be very helpful.If your cat has never had a "pedicure," then you’re going to need to get her used to having her feet touched, first. Many cats dislike having their toes messed with, but if you start when your cat is young it will be easier on both of you. While petting your cat, casually glide your hand down her legs and feet. Once she is tolerant of that, use your fingers to gently squeeze her paw until the claws are exposed. When she will let you do this without struggling, then you’re ready! Be sure that each step of the way you are reassuring and praising her for being such a good kitty.I’ve heard people say that wrapping their cat in a towel is helpful to maintain control and avoid getting scratched. It’s a good idea if you are a first-time-trimmer, and your cat’s claws are razor sharp. When preparing your cat, try to be as calm as possible. Feeding your cat a nice hearty meal beforehand should help. Kitties with full bellies are a lot less likely to put up a fight. Be aware that if you are nervous, your cat will most certainly pick up on that, and become nervous, herself. Take it slow, and realize that even if you only manage clipping one nail, you have made progress! Don’t be discouraged if it takes a few days to get to all of them. Always reward her with treats and lots of affection. Use cat claw trimmers and only take off a tiny bit at the end of the nail. Some people say to do it every other week. I think it‘s safer to cut off less than you are told, and to do it more often, (like once a week). Never use trimmers that are made for humans or dogs, because you are more likely to hurt her that way. You can ask your vet or groomer to show you the proper way to do it. Here's a website that shows you how: http://www.catscratching.com/htmls/article.htm Q: How do I make my cat stop scratching and biting me?A: Don't assume automatically that cats that bite are vicious creatures. You must distinct between play-biting and real aggressive biting. Kittens for example like to play, and sometimes pretty rough. They use their claws and teeth to wrestle with each other. This is how they learn to hunt and catch prey, so that’s normal. They usually go unharmed because their fur protects them from serious wounds. However, human skin is a different story, but kittens don't know that.Make sure you never encourage your cat to play with your hands. Use a toy, instead that she can bite and claw at. Never, ever punish or yell at her. Cats don’t understand punishment, and the only thing they learn from it is to fear you. Also keep in mind that kittens between the ages of three weeks old and eight months old will be teething off and on, and will have very strong needs to bite. It is important to know that you shouldn’t prevent her from biting, but instead give her something that she can chew on, like a stuffed animal.Any time she bites or scratches you, (whether she's playing or she's mad) say "OUCH!" really loud, then walk away from her. If you've ever heard a cat howl when you accidentally stepped on its tail, mimicking that noise or hissing will also get the point across in a way that she may understand better. Walking away from her helps her learn that when she hurts you, she gets no more attention.I hope that helps. Good luck.

• Well done for asking!I think people have provided plenty of evidence that amputating a cat's toes is painful and cruel. If you want more, read these: http://declaw.lisaviolet.com/declawstory.htmlSo why is it legal? Bloomin good question! A lot of people will put it down to the fact that it's a big money earner for vets. I think you also have to put it down to the power of 'tradition'. I think a lot of the thinking is similar to that which supports the practice of female genital mutilation. Just to explain FGM for those that haven't heard of it: it's sometimes called female circumcision, but the mildest form is in no way equivalent to male circumcision. The mildest form is the equivalent of cutting off the head of a guy's 'little man'. More severe forms mean taking all of a girls outside female bits (trying to be delicate here!) then sewing up the raw wound flat, with just one hole. Often it's done in dirty conditions and with no drugs. Girls who've had it done may have a lot of scar tissue and have to be cut open on their wedding night and cut and re-stitched when they have a baby. Many die or end up with horrific injuries from childbirth.Who keeps this practice going, sometimes in secret where it's now illegal? Mostly the women who've had it done themselves...I'm not comparing FGM and declawing, just the thinking that keep two cruel, illogical and damaging practices going.In both cases it's often tradition. Mum got it done, so I'll get it done too. Maybe the folks involved don't see the pain involved: in FGM if people end up dying in childbirth as a result, maybe they think that's being a woman, and don't realise it's due to the FGM. In the same way, I guess many people with declawed cats plain don't see the bad results, either because they don't realise how a cat should be behaving, or don't have the sensitivity. And they believe the alternatives are worse: in FGM they believe girls who don't have it done will turn out 'wild'. Pretty much the same for folks getting kittens done... probably many don't realise young kittens often go through a stage of not being able to control their claws.And politicians don't like to rock the boat...I'm in the UK, and yes, it's illegal here. And to most people unthinkable. A lot of folks here haven't heard of it: I've had people totally horrified and nearly in tears when I've told them about it. And that's without details.Also, in the US, it's illegal to declaw a big cat or rabbit (I think basically any other creature than a domestic cat). The US knows it's cruel. It's just hard to ban something that's currently a common practice. It can be done though: in the UK docking dog's tails was only banned a few years ago.Last thoughts... declawing an aggressive cat to cure it is like saying a straight jacket cures a mentally ill person. It might stop them clawing someone, but it will not take away whatever stress/anger caused that clawing, only add to it. If a cat is that bad in my opinion it's better to put the cat to sleep. (NB, I'm saying in cases of severe behavioural problem, not just where the toddler hurt the cat or a kitten hadn't learnt to keep it's claws in: those are rehoming cases)If you are worried about the furniture being clawed, then you'll be even more unhappy if your cat soaks the furniture, carpets, bedding, clothes and even floorboards in urine. In this case rehome while the cat has still got it's claws and will have a better chance of a new, caring home.

• Actually, cats are not in bandages for weeks, my kitten just came home from the vet today, and she was declawed yesterday, and she has no bandages today. I think it all depends on your views. I don't think that it is that mean. But it is illegal in many countries, and some vets will not perform the service.