What is the perfect family dog and a perfect show dog at the same time?

To be honest I have a had a wide variety of breeds of dogs. Currently I have two Boxers, one male and one female. Their a “Flashy Fawn” color and absolutely beautiful! I can actually say that I will never own any other breed of dog except…

To be honest I have a had a wide variety of breeds of dogs. Currently I have two Boxers, one male and one female. Their a “Flashy Fawn” color and absolutely beautiful! I can actually say that I will never own any other breed of dog except…...
    General Dog Discussions : What is the perfect family dog and a perfect show dog at the same time?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is the perfect family dog and a perfect show dog at the same time?

What is the perfect family dog and a perfect show dog at the same time? General Dog Discussions
      To be honest I have a had a wide variety of breeds of dogs. Currently I have two Boxers, one male and one female. Their a “Flashy Fawn” color and absolutely beautiful! I can actually say that I will never own any other breed of dog except a boxer now. I have three nieces and two nephews, they range from ages 6 months to 10 years old. Both of my Boxers are great with them and I have never had any problems whatsoever! My male boxer actually helped in teaching one of my nieces to walk, it was really cute! Boxers are very protect over children and their owners. They also make excellent show dogs. Also they have higher than normal intelligence, probably to smart for their own good. Both of mine respond to verbal and non-verbal commands like sign language.

What is the perfect family dog and a perfect show dog at the same time? General Dog Discussions
    • Your daughter needs to become active in an AKC dog club that offers conformation classes. A specialty club is a club for those who fancy just one breed. An all breed club is a club for fanciers of many different breeds . She should not worry about getting (owning) a "show dog" to handle in order to join a club. Most reputable breeders will not sell a show puppy to a novice unless she is at least involved in the breed and active in a club. She can learn how a dog show works, breed standards, handling, presentation, proper show grooming, judging and so on.Owning a show dog does not mean she will make a great handler. She needs to learn the standard of the breed she fancies before she can learn to handle. There are plenty of "show" club members who would gladly let her work their pups and adults at conformation classes. She is better off learning handling on different dogs in her chosen breed than just handling one single dog anyway. The best advise I can give to her is to join a dog club and get involved with dog people. She will learn from other members. Most handlers never started out owning a perfect show dog.

• Probably a golden retriever. they are a good first dog and also are beautiful and easy to show. they are great family pets and have great personalities and qualities that make them ideal for kids, young people and old people alike. also they are smart, energetic, and just make you want to go out and play with them and also they love walking, running, hiking, and of course, swimming, which is good if you have a pool or spend a lot of time on the water. just make sure you see the dog before you buy him/her and also when you let the dog swim, make sure she wears a life jacket. even though retrievers are good swimmers, they still need life jackets just for safety. they can get worn out quickly and drown if someone doesnt get to them in time.Also, labrador retrievers make good first dogs, as well as Corgis, Collies, and Poodles.Corgis and collies like to herd tho, and and also collies are a little more shy than poodles, corgis and retrievers. but they are extremely gentle.

• american cocker spaniels are really good dog they learn fast there very loyal and sweet and the dont get that big but arent tiny either.im a junior handler as well and my 1st puppy was a cocker spaniel and were doing great together so i would highly recommened a cocker spaniel

• -Boxer-Labrador Retriever-Golden Retriever-Border Collie-Pembroke Welsh Corgi-Beagle-Akita-German Shepherd-Basset Hound-Cocker Spaniel-Sheepdog-Saint Bernard-Poodle-Dachsund-Maltese-Austarlian Terrier-SamoyedGo search for 'family dogs perfect for show' or something like that, if you don't want any of those breeds.

• There is no definitive answer to your question. People here will list their favorite breeds, but only you can determine which breed best suits your family and your lifestyle.By the way, Junior Handler is a great way for younger folks to get involved in the dog sports. There is also scholarship money available to junior handlers who stick with it.Good luck.

• The best show dogs are also family members. Retriever breeds are good family dogs, as are the Poodles, all sizes. But the poodles require a lot of grooming skill. Same for the Spaniels, great family dogs but require more grooming skills for handling.Some of the hounds are good, especially Beagles.

• That depends entirely on your family. If you have small children, many toy breeds would be unsuitable. A lot of dogs need a lot of exercise and mental stimulation in order to not take care of that bit themselves, which could prove detrimental to your furniture or yard. It also depends on how much fur you are willing to live with in the house, and if you are willing to groom and maintain a long, thick coat. Think about some aspects that you are not willing to compromise on and some that aren't as important, and take a test online - they have one on Animal Planet, for instance. Here, you answer various questions, and based on your answers, it will suggest a variety of breeds.Good luck, and remember that a dog can easily live fifteen years, make sure to pick a breed you are willing and able to live with once she leaves for college....-c

• Larger breed dogs are easier to show (especially for children), you would just have to find one that does not require a lot of grooming. I would recommend a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, but any breed will work. Also, I would try to work out a deal with the breeder. They will often offer finished (champion) show dogs at reduced rates for children interested in juniors. Plus, they could teach her how to show.

• I feel that a prefered breed of dog is truly a very unique and personalized subject........I personally think muts and rescues tend to make the best pets..........but I'm also partial to Rhodesian Ridgebacks (GREAT family dogs and still quazi exotic)

• A Boxer, they are great with children, adults and babies and are the most loving, intelligent animal I have ever had. They are also good for show. We have a flashy fawn right now and I have never been happier!