How do I stop a dog fight in the dog park?

Pepper spray

Pepper spray...
    General Dog Discussions : How do I stop a dog fight in the dog park?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I stop a dog fight in the dog park?

How do I stop a dog fight in the dog park? General Dog Discussions
      Pepper spray

How do I stop a dog fight in the dog park? General Dog Discussions
    • I carry pepper spray and an air horn in my dog walking bag for such situations. I first use the air horn, it startles the dogs into leaving each other. If that doesn't work spray pepper spray into their eyes and mouths. Try to use the horn b4 the dogs actually get into a fight. Usually you are not near enough when they start posturing to use anything else. I also train my 2 big dogs to come to a waterproof whistle from Wal*Mart's boating section. They can hear it better than my voice and since they get a treat when they come to the whistle they are apt to break away from a possible problem and come to me. At the dog beach it is totally needed as the surf overpowers voices..

• Dogs sometimes have leash aggression. Once they are off leash, they are usually fine unless you have two extremely dominant dogs, or a dog that is poorly trained/sociallized. Stop a dog fight with verbal commands (obedience training), or an electric collar. Otherwise let them be. Dogs will fight for dominance in groups, and once they establish their hierarchy, they are usually fine. Alot of people think just because a dog is barking, or growling or showing teeth that they are being aggressive or "fighting". It may seem sometimes that the dog is "protecting" you, but I found out last weekend that this is not "them protecting you" but "you protecting them" (they can get away with it because you will protect them.)

• mace the friggin offending dog and his owner if the owneris also aggressive. Then mace some more. The only wayto teach a dog is through force. Just like Iraqis they must bebrought to justice. Mace the mofo.

• I am a dog lover(i have 2) but there really isnt much you can do. Don't get in the way of 2 dogs if they are fighting because you will most likely get hurt. If you are worried don;t bering your dog to the dog park or keep him/her on a leash while there.(you will have yo be willing to move alot!) that seems kind of silly but its just a suggestion! My dog has been in a few dog fights and hes fine. Most dog fights dont result in injuries but its good to concerned. Good Luck!

• One of my friend's dogs got attacked in the park but now I'm kind of scared that will happen to my dog. My dog is a 2 year old lab if he gets into a fight with another dog in the dog park how can I stop it? Cause you know how the dogs aren't on leashes they just run around. How would I stop a dog fight?If I did use pepper spray do I spray it at the dogs or where?

• Never come between fighting dogs - you could end up severely injured. Carry pepper spray with you. If you have a cell phone, bring that, too, call the police if that should happen.ADD:Yes, you'd spray it at the offending dog(s).