Found about a four week old german shepherd in the middle of nowhere thinking about keeping it?

Can't get it to a vet or shelter right away. There wasn't a collar or dog tags what should I do/feed it? Any help would be great please and thank you!

Found about a four week old german shepherd in the middle of nowhere thinking about keeping it?

Can't get it to a vet or shelter right away. There wasn't a collar or dog tags what should I do/feed it? Any help would be great please and thank you!...
    General Dog Discussions : Found about a four week old german shepherd in the middle of nowhere thinking about keeping it?...

• Found about a four week old german shepherd in the middle of nowhere thinking about keeping it?

Found about a four week old german shepherd in the middle of nowhere thinking about keeping it? General Dog Discussions
      Can't get it to a vet or shelter right away. There wasn't a collar or dog tags what should I do/feed it? Any help would be great please and thank you!

Found about a four week old german shepherd in the middle of nowhere thinking about keeping it? General Dog Discussions
    • You should post an ad in the newspaper with general lost information, i.e.: Found, german shepherd puppy, *general area of town*, please call and describe.This way you can eliminate people wanting to have a GSD puppy but they didn't actually lose one. You don't tell them the description (color, approximate age, sex) but let them tell you and if someone is a possible match then you arrange to meet them to show them the pup. If it was my pup, I'd sure want someone to try and find the owner, and legally, you have to make some effort most places. Yes, you can feed the pup and possibly keep it but you want to give the owners a chance to re-claim the dog. After a few weeks if no one claims the pup, you can do things to make the dog yours, legally. Before that, you should get vet care for the dog which includes starting shots series when Vet recommends it. Then you can, after a few weeks, have the dog listed by your Vet as your dog rather than as a stray, and you can get it micro-chipped as well. If you want to be sure about requirements for legally claiming this dog and what you have to do, you can call your area animal control and ask.

• If you want to keep it, give it warm milk from a bottle -- the same as you would a baby -- put it in a box with some blankets to keep it warm and and get it to a vet as soon as you can. Do not waste time posting ads like some of these teenage "experts" are advising because a puppy that young does not run away and was either abandoned or the mother dog is a stray that gave birth near where you found it.

• Mix up an 8 ounce carton of vanilla yogurt, one can of full fat evaporated milk, 6 ounces of boiled and cooled water, 2 egg yolks, a tablespoon of mayonnaise, and a drop of Pet Nutri Drops and feed this to the pup.