About How Much would it Cost for the First Year of Puppy Ownership?

I want my puppy to be involved in dog sports. Haven't gotten a puppy yet but I know I want to do disc and agility. I plan on buying agility equipment for the backyard. Anything helps. Thanks!I already know about having things like an emergency fund in…

I want my puppy to be involved in dog sports. Haven't gotten a puppy yet but I know I want to do disc and agility. I plan on buying agility equipment for the backyard. Anything helps. Thanks!I already know about having things like an emergency fund in…...
    General Dog Discussions : About How Much would it Cost for the First Year of Puppy Ownership?...

• About How Much would it Cost for the First Year of Puppy Ownership?

About How Much would it Cost for the First Year of Puppy Ownership? General Dog Discussions
      I want my puppy to be involved in dog sports. Haven't gotten a puppy yet but I know I want to do disc and agility. I plan on buying agility equipment for the backyard. Anything helps. Thanks!I already know about having things like an emergency fund in case anything unforeseen happens. Just thought I would add this. I know a budget is a hard thing to really put a dog on, I just want to give my husband a plan that he can follow more easily than "what ever puppy needs!"

About How Much would it Cost for the First Year of Puppy Ownership? General Dog Discussions
    • Well it depends on how big the dog is. Bigger dogs go through more food and vet care cost more. That'll cost a couple thousand a year, depending or not if something bad happened to the dog where it would need surgery.

• Size matters! A Great Dane needs multiple times the medication and food as a Chihuahua.You will need to pay for:- Dog itself- 2 food bowls- food every month- Flea prevention- Spay/Neuter- Vaccinations- Vet check ups- Toys- Treats- Bed- Crate- Collar- Long leash- 6ft leash- harness- shampoo- grooming- nail cutting- bones- agility equipment- frisbees- emergency vet care (even surgery)- tooth brush & paste- A LOT MORE that I am forgettingI don't have the time to look up the prices of these items, but you can! Remember that puppies need more vet check ups for their spay/neuter and vaccinations. Plus puppies get sicker more often.GOOD LUCK!Doggie Top Five:1) Do your research2) Check shelters before breeders3) SPAY & NEUTER: Never breed!4) Know how to train your dog5) Good luck :)

• It depends where you live, costs are different. Here's a basic list of puppy's first year but you will have to price them out locally yourself. Item - who to phone for quoteFirst year of puppy shots - Your vetSpay/neuter - Your vetDog licence - City hallPuppy obedience - Local dog trainer (www.apdt.com)Dog gear (Leash. Collar. Harness. Dishes. Bed.) - Local pet storeFood. (Based on the breed of dog and the feeding requirements listed on the bag)Agility equipment can be very expensive. Consider building your own and just buying tunnels. Dogs should not participate in any jumping until their joints have set. At least 1.5 years of age. 2 is better.

• Depends on the size of the dog and bag of food, and how often it goes through a bag. Add about $300-500 for toys, beds, leashes, collars, (not including the training and training equipment) etc. Add the total amount needed for training equipment and training, the monthly payment for pet insurance and round it up. Keep this in a separate interest yielding account and hopefully you'll have enough for the year.

• A lot depends on the size of the dog. Small dog items cost less than large dog items. Small dogs eat less and vet care is usually less. To get more accurate prices, go to a local pet store and see what the prices are for the items for the size of dog you will be getting. Crate: $20 for a small one, $150 for a giant size. Bowls: $5-10 for small size, $20 for large. Collar: $10 for small, $20 for large. Some brands do cost more and special or training collars are more.Leash: $5-15 depending on width and length. Bed: $10 for a small one, $50 for largeToys: $5 for small ones, $20+ for bigger ones. You will need multiple toys and different types. Food: $40-60 for a large bag of high quality food. How many bags you need depends on the size of the dog. Grooming equipment: expect to spend about $30-50 depending on the coat type. Cleaning products: $5-20 depending on what you buy. Vet care can be $100 per visit for a check up, shots and other treatment needed. A spay or neuter can be $100-300. A puppy will need 3-4 sets of vaccinations plus a spay or neuter in the first year. This does not include other illness that can come up, but expect to pay at least $100 per visit. Keep in mind that you really should not do any sports until the dog is at least 1 year old. They need to grow and develop the bone structure and muscles before you start any heavy excercise. Concentrate on basic training and don't worry about doing agility or other sports until your dog is ready. Agility equipment is expensive. A jump can cost $100 and the contact obstacles can be $500 each. You can try to build some jumps, but there is a cost to that too.

• I did the math once on routine vet care.. and figured that I spent about $500-600 just on basic vet care in the first year... this isnt even figuring in money for flea preventatives, since my dog is hairless and doesnt need it.I probably spent another $300-500 + on supplies and food..the amount you spend will depend on the breed and size of dog. Some dogs may need more grooming supplies, some may need more toys and activities to keep them busy. It costs more to feed large dogs.. things like collars and toys are more expensive for larger dogs as well.I did not do training classes, but those generally cost around $60-80 or so.If you get a breed that needs grooming.. that's another $35-60+ every 6-8 weeks (unless you learn how to do it yourself, in which case, budget for the grooming supplies)this isnt even figuring in emergency vet care.. its not uncommon to have some kind of minor infection or injury that needs treatment (my puppy had a bout of gastritis when a relative snuck him some sausage)... something major can be costly