Responsible Dog Breeders and Pet Owners - how do YOU prevent your dogs from unintended pregnancies?

I've owned intact dogs for 25+ years without an unintended pregnancy.... simply by keeping them separated when b*tches are in season (not rocket science is it?).How do you prevent unintended pregnancies?spay/neutership the dog to a kennel when the b*tch…

Responsible Dog Breeders and Pet Owners - how do YOU prevent your dogs from unintended pregnancies?

I've owned intact dogs for 25+ years without an unintended pregnancy.... simply by keeping them separated when b*tches are in season (not rocket science is it?).How do you prevent unintended pregnancies?spay/neutership the dog to a kennel when the b*tch…...
    General Dog Discussions : Responsible Dog Breeders and Pet Owners - how do YOU prevent your dogs from unintended pregnancies?...

• Responsible Dog Breeders and Pet Owners - how do YOU prevent your dogs from unintended pregnancies?

Responsible Dog Breeders and Pet Owners - how do YOU prevent your dogs from unintended pregnancies? General Dog Discussions
      I've owned intact dogs for 25+ years without an unintended pregnancy.... simply by keeping them separated when b*tches are in season (not rocket science is it?).How do you prevent unintended pregnancies?spay/neutership the dog to a kennel when the b*tch is in seasonetc...I want to hear how you do it...!My email is open - always has been.

Responsible Dog Breeders and Pet Owners - how do YOU prevent your dogs from unintended pregnancies? General Dog Discussions
    • I'm no where near knowledgeable enough to responsibly breed dogs, so both of my guys are neutered. I don't need them getting out and knocking up some poor b***h that someone else isn't responsible enough to alter or confine!On a side rant (I'll take the TD!), I'm getting a little tired of the "BYB!" attack- I asked a legit question about lab genetics and actually felt like I needed to post a record that my chocolate was neutered in order to avoid being yelled at! I hate the BYBs too (especially the ones that say "I don't know how she got pregnant!!"), but I think some people just get a kick out of jumping on the bandwagon. Ok, rant finished!

• The "two door" rule. Two doors between males and b*tches in season at all times.The only time I had an unintended breeding was when I broke that rule. I had the b*tch in her crate in the car, and the male loose in the car. I stopped at a friend's house for 10 minutes and when I came back he'd broken her out and they were tied.Of course, if I WANT them to breed it takes like 1/2 hour for them to get down to it......

• Simple, keep them separated in different rooms. I have no problems doing that. #ADDED: Memphis Belle - superb answer ! Spot on with that.I do usually advise spay/neuter when some people on Y!A show their obvious inexperience and ineptitude at safely keeping an intact dog or bltch, but for those capable of coping and being responsible I agree with you entirely.

• When I use to breed, I did the same thing as you, and NEVER had an accidental litter. (Lot's of noise though) The two dogs I have now are not breeding material, as one is a mutt, and the other an AKC registered Bulldog with severe HD. Both are altered. I have not bred anything in 12 years. Oops, the fish in my pond don't need any help from me.

• Spay the females at 5-6 months of age before their first season & neuter the males at 5-6 months old. I've never kept an intact dog. Rescue dogs were spayed & neutered immediately. My daughter's rescue Chihuahua was in season when she rescued her from our pound. She leash walked her for potty breaks & short walks until she was out of season & our Vet would spay her. He was reluctant to do it when she was in heat because of her size & he knew my daughter & would be responsible.Added: I don't know why people would give me a thumbs down for being 100% responsible. My dogs, my choice. Same as any other "breeder" of any type. But I can guarantee ya, the door at my animal shelter only swings one way for me, out. I'll rescue dogs. But I'll never add to the numbers of unwanted dogs & cats found there. Since I have no intentions of ever allowing my animals to breed, spay & neuter is the logical responsible choice for me & mine.

• I've been doing multiple intact dogs for *40++* years w/never an ooops.*I* know basic biology! No "tab-A,slot-B", no OOOooops!I have crates & pens,can tell a dog from a bitc-h *&* when to keep separate.I've bred a BOS at the national,BW at the national,first in breed (dog& bitch) in performance,first in breed IN THE FIELD,one that finish in one week-end,one that took a BOB over adults for a 5pt.major first show at 6mons. ,etc.etc.I breed ON PURPOSE.

• My dog is spayed. When I was young, my family had an intact female Lab. We kept her "safely" locked in the house when she was in season to prevent pregnancy. One day, a stray male GSD busted right through a closed window to get in. There was splintered wood, broken glass, and blood everywhere, and we had 10 lovely Lab x German Shepherd puppies 9 weeks later...

• I personally have my dogs spayed/neutered. Not only do you prevent unplanned pregnancies, but you reduce the risks of pyometra or mammary tumors in females, and for males it reduces aggression and testicular cancer. If you are opposed to complete neutering, you can always find a vet who offers vasectomy or tubal ligation. These methods leave the animal's sex hormones in tact, but removes the chance of pregnancies. It is often more costly than a basic spay/neuter.

• I'm just a pet owner so for me its really easy and simple,spaying and neutering! Keeping intact dogs away from each other is *hard work* and too noisy for someone like me. I like doing little work unless I WANT to do it. Ha, I'm lazy. For a while my yorkie was intact before he was fixed and not one litter..though the only females he was around were bigger old ladies that were fixed.ETA: Just wanted to add that I know its possible for responsible owners to keep intact dogs without any unwanted pregnancies. I know a very responsible pet owner that had an intact male and not one litter of puppies. He was the only dog but even when he was outside he was either leashed or in a fenced yard with no escape.

• All my girls are spayed, only intact one in the house is my show boy, Nick. It's the easiest way for all concerned. I have kept intact males & females before with no accidental breedings, but since I'm not showing nor do I plan to breed the girls, why not make things easier on all of us?

• As a pet owner I opt to spay/neuter. I found a female stray I decided to keep that went in heat right before her spay date so it had to be canceled until she was done with her cycle. Spaying the females just simplifies things so much. She can't even go on walks in nice weather because I don't want her attracting any intact males in the neighborhood, plus the mess. It's not that responsible management of intact animals can't happen, it's just that it doesn't happen as often which is why for regular pet owners it is much easier just to go ahead and get them fixed to prevent more unwanted litters.

• When my b*tch was in season the dog remained on the top floor of the house, with a stair gate at the bottom of the stairs. When he came down to go into the garden or on walks, he was on a collar & lead. Easy if you engage your brain & use a modicum of common sense!My dog has not sired any unwanted litters & hormone driven behavior has never been allowed to be a nuisance to other dogs or peopleI researched the health benefits of castrating & deduced from the EVIDENCE that it was better to leave a male intact because of the hormonal & skeletal development of the dog. My b*tch never had an oops litter because I policed her every move & ensured that at no point came into contact with an entire male. I decided that for my sanity I would not keep her indoors for three weeks, but it was a case of lead only walks at off peak times, when I was least likely to encounter other dog walkers. Before she retired, I would not take her to championship shows, as I did not think it would be fair to bench her near mulitiple entact dogs.In my opinion it's wrong for someone to attempt to force their belief that neutering is the ONLY responsible course of action down the throats of dog owners who are capable of managing the behavior & training of an intact dog & preventing a b*tch from whelping an oops litter.