Will the personality of our Yorkies change after spaying?

I am having my mini yorkies (twins, Females, 7 months old, pre-heat) spayed tomorrow morning and am wondering if anyone knows how their temperament might change as a result? Both are a wonderful 50/50 combo of sweetness and spirited energy. Can we expect…

I am having my mini yorkies (twins, Females, 7 months old, pre-heat) spayed tomorrow morning and am wondering if anyone knows how their temperament might change as a result? Both are a wonderful 50/50 combo of sweetness and spirited energy. Can we expect…...
    General Dog Discussions : Will the personality of our Yorkies change after spaying?...

• Will the personality of our Yorkies change after spaying?

Will the personality of our Yorkies change after spaying? General Dog Discussions
      I am having my mini yorkies (twins, Females, 7 months old, pre-heat) spayed tomorrow morning and am wondering if anyone knows how their temperament might change as a result? Both are a wonderful 50/50 combo of sweetness and spirited energy. Can we expect anything different? Also, we are having them micro-chipped but I must admit that we were sort of talked into this by the vet - neither of us have any experience with such a thing. Any issues with doing this?? Thank you!!! (By the way...I've yet to learn what you get for answering questions here but I hope it's substantial because I find the people on here who take the time to do it to be wonderful.)

Will the personality of our Yorkies change after spaying? General Dog Discussions
    • It depends. I hate to tell you that. No one can ever tell you that the temperment of a dog is determined. That is never the case. I have a 1 year old Chihuahua that was fixed and now he is more hyper then he was before he was fixed! The vet said he would be more mellow. I have another Chihuahua that was the opposite. My point is you can never tell. Don't let anyone tell you that it's a definate thing. Micro chipping is really good. It means that if steals your dog and the vet checks them they will contact you and you will get your dog back. I highly suggest that you get it done.

• Flattery will get you everywhere :0)I spay all my dogs, usually I have females. Right now though we have all males....I find that after they get spayed they put on weight.....We have a mastiff, Saint Bernard which both were fixed before I was around them, then our Australian Shepherd mix. The mix I had fixed and he ballooned. The females I have always had seam to be calmer after fixed. I have had Australian Shepherds for the last 24 years or something ridiculous, last one passing on two years ago from a seizure (I finally found a breeder who is having puppies soon woo hoo). You will not have to worry about them having there period and running off to meet there boyfriends. Or there boyfriends coming to your home eating all the food and never leaving.... :0)I have worked around Yorkies and they to seam to get calmer when spayed.....I am sure you will be happy with the girls and they will be happy and live so much longer....

• I have a male yorkie and we had him neutered about 6 months ago... and to be honest he is still as sweet as ever and has tons of energy... and he has not gained much weight because he runs all the time. Good luck to you... I don't know much about the female spaying but maybe it will turn out like my male .... Take care.

• We couldnt ever really tell the difference after having our Yorkies spayed. They didnt seem as "bitchy" afterwards.Both girls turned out fine.Never had any chips put in them. No idea about that.