should we breed our german shepherd dog?

We have a german shepherd puppy, she is 9 months and is coming into her first heat. My husband thnks we should breed her after her 2nd heat. Seems to think it would be a nice way to earn a bit of money. what do you think?

should we breed our german shepherd dog?

We have a german shepherd puppy, she is 9 months and is coming into her first heat. My husband thnks we should breed her after her 2nd heat. Seems to think it would be a nice way to earn a bit of money. what do you think?...
    General Dog Discussions : should we breed our german shepherd dog?...

• I don't recommend it. Think of all of the shelters over flowing with animals. You risk adding to it by breeding your dog and her giving birth to more puppies.

• nothere are already enough unwanted dogs in shelters getting put downpuppies aren't going to help the situationthose dogs could have been wonderful pets...but people would rather have cute little puppies instead of themthere are other ways to make money that don't involve having to put your dog through pregnancy and the pain of birthget your dog spayed,it will be better for her health anywaysplease don't become a BYB!

• Nice way to earn money? Since when did humans sit on their lazy a@@ and let the dogs bring home the bacon? Should be the other way around, right? Newsflash, your dog isn't breeding quality. If you need the extra cash, get a job or find a responsible home for the dog. Do you realize the dangers of breeding irresponsibly? I bet she hasn't even been tested for things like hips, thyroid, eye problems and other common specific problems to the German Shepherd breed. If she has a genetic disease-not shown up yet, since many of these can appear after maturity and 9 months isn't maturity yet, no where close). You do realize that dogs can get sexually transmitted diseases that they wouldn't get if they were spayed/neutered right? Do you know what brucellosis is? It's a sexually transmitted disease that can cause fetal abortion( miscarriage) in pregnant females. And on top of that, your dog can be carrying it right now and you wouldn't even know it because it don't always have outward signs of it. Your dog has to be tested for it. All these tests are not cheap and usually are done after age 2. No breeder worth their salt will breed before age 2!you must be willing to wait until she is physically mature to breed (about two years old). To breed too soon is like a teenage human having a child. They are not physically ready or emotionally. To breed to old is like a woman having her first child later in life. Males also must be at least two. You cannot get hips certified until they are two years old at least. Dogs of both genders must be fully mature and in top shape before breeding. There are nutrition concerns – pregnancy and nursing is taxing on the female body. There are risk factors – some breeds are prone to birth complications and almost always require medical intervention. Even in a breed not prone to birth complications, they can arise and be costly! Many breeders will have their vet x-ray (radiograph) a pregnant female to get an idea of how many pups, their placement, etc. A big pup could get stuck in the birth canal. A retained pup (not born for some reason) can die and cause massive infection as it decays. A female may die during delivery. Are you willing to hand rear a litter of pups? This is NOT easy and very tiring. What if your female has poor mothering instincts? Will you take over? Are you willing to accept that you could lose your dog and her puppies? What if one is born deformed or has a problem show up weeks down the road – then what? Are you willing to possibly loose your female or pups or both? Breeding IS NOT THE WAY TO MAKE MORE MONEY! More then often a responsible breeder will loose money then make a profit!And now what if you bred the dog and had puppies? They need to be with their mom for at least 8 weeks and in fact in some areas it is illegal to sell or give away an animal younger then 8 weeks. This means for 8 weeks you are responsible for the puppies, lets say 7 in this case, plus the mother. That means 8 weeks of more poop and food.And lets not forget the shots for the puppies for their first exam. That adds up. Vet costs, feeding, time to socialize and clean up after, postnatal care of them and Mom all can be expensive. What if down the road your dog develops a problem, say starts having seizures. Are you willing to call everyone who bought a puppy from you and inform them? What if someone calls you down the road and cannot keep the puppy – now dog – what will you do? What health guarantee will you offer? What if someone’s puppy proves deaf, dysplastic, epileptic, what will you do? You brought the pups into the world; therefore, you are responsible.And do you know the benefits of spaying your dog right now while she's young? A dog that is spayed or neutered has no chance of developing uterine or testicular cancer; in females, the risk of breast cancer and urinary infections is drastically reduced. Reproductive cancers are common among older dogs that have been bred. There's many more but I'm not going to sit here all night typing it up.Think of this: what does 1 female and 1 male which is 2+ 6 years equal?Over 6700 puppies! And you do realize that each year 4-6 MILLION are euthanized each year? Why bring even more into a world like that?I'll even break it down even more for you:Some 70,000 puppies and kittens are born every day in the U.S.Between four million and six million pets are euthanized every year because they are homeless.That means between 11,000 and 16,000 pets are euthanized every day simply because they are homeless.An animal in a shelter is killed every 1.5 seconds.Only one animal in 10 born in the U.S. gets a good home that lasts a lifetime.It's far cheaper getting her spayed then breeding her. Breeding isn't cheap!

• Think?I **KNOW** that your husband has a LOT to learn!(a [robert] with a husband???)The only valid reason for mating a dog & bit.ch is that their litter will contain pups that are a credit to the breed and the breeder. So....- Does he KNOW her good & bad points?- Does he KNOW which ancestor each point came from?- Does he KNOW which studs are proven to provide the points she lacks, while supporting her own good points?- Does he KNOW the International Standard of the GSD: http://www.fci.be/uploaded_files/166A1991_en.doc almost off-by-heart and is CERTAIN that she neither has, nor is a carrier for, any of the Serious Faults and Eliminations listed in it?The GSD breed didn't get its marvellous reputation through being produced by ignoramuses using any available dog & bit.ch - no litter was registered unless BOTH parents met rigid requirements. The MINIMUM requirements (except for such as The KC(UK), the AKC, the CKC) were and are that both parents have:• registration as GSDs• BH - a street-safe test that CGC probably copied from• official hip & elbow pass certificates• either HGH (herding+courage) or SchH (tracking+obedience/agility+courage)And that usually takes until the pooch is 22-26 months old.Note: - NOTHING about cuteness or fashionable shape - just functional joints and character+performance.But for quality GSDs, breeders & intelligent buyers require that both parents possess a Breed Survey Classification (BS.Cl.1 or 2 in English, KKl.I or II in German). To see the pre-entry requirements click: http://germanshepherddog.com/regulations/breed_survey_regulations.htmOkay, if your husband can-- get your bit.ch through all of those before she has her second season (but preferably closer to 3 years old so that she is MENTALLY mature, as well as physically),-- and has by then found the perfect stud to improve on her own character & construction,-- and can afford that stud's fee plus the air-fare to fly her to & from him,-- and has enough cash left in the bank to cover disasters such as pyometritis or a caesarian,good luck to your husband.The world needs quality GSDs, and quality homes for them.Talking of which - what checking will he do as to the suitability of each potential buyer?After about 25 years I stopped advertising in my country's KC magazine - not one of the people it attracted met MY standards for owners!Nice little profit?I have spent perhaps $8,000 on trying to get a litter from my youngest bit.ch, but as she is now 9 and puppyless she is the end of the line I began back in 1969. Which leaves me trying to lease a descendant of one of my imported lines, one that (thanks to pyometritis) I lost in my own small kennel about 25 years ago. And that $8,000 does not include daily feeding & annual licensing, nor does it include training & campaigning time & costs.• Add http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/The_GSD_Source to your browser's Bookmarks or Favorites so that you can easily look up such as feeding, vaccinations, clubs, GSD weights, teething, neutering, disorders.• get your husband to join, and ask questions in, some of the 400+ YahooGroups dedicated to various aspects of living with GSDs. Each group's Home page tells you which aspects they like to discuss, and how active they are. Unlike YA, they are set up so that you can have an ongoing discussion with follow-up questions for clarification. Most allow you to include photos to show what you mean.http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/GSD_Genetics is one that breeders should belong to.Les P, owner of GSD_Friendly: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/GSD_Friendly"In GSDs" as of 1967

• never breed till the 4th heat...they are not fully mature till 2 years old...another thing make sure the males smaller than the female...i breed poms and pomchi mix i never breed my females till 2 years old and my male till 16 months old...congrats on not breeding by kennel club breed standards...

• i think that its a good idea to wait until she's around two years old then she is fully developed and ready to have puppies. people say you can't make money but to be honest i can't see how you wouldn't make a bit i mean you wouldn't make a great deal because of all the vet bills etc........ i think it prevents your dog from getting cancer. and no matter what people say dogs having puppies is very natural.the only thing i found is finding nice homes for the puppies if you do decide you want some, try and find the most nice people. the web sites are good if you want to have a look http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/breeding.htmlwww.thekennelclub.org.uk/breeding/index.htmlthe kennel club contains information about breeding.and don't listen to these people they love to lecture some one:-)

• Short answer; No. - You don't breed a b.it.ch until at least 20 mos. of age & the 3rd heat- You don't breed a b.it.ch as a nice way to earn a bit of money. - You don't breed a b.it.ch just because she's a purebred.- You may very well have a lovely pup on your hands that could possibly be breedworthy. But you've yet to confirm that by having her trained, temperament tested, titled, hips and elbows xrayed & certified free of hip dysplasia, researching her bloodlines & testing for any problems they've carried, like von Willebrand's Disease, for example.- Rescues and shelters are full of the results of 'breeding for extra money'. Responsible breeding requires research, careful planning, and a willingness to stand behind what you produce. This means a commitment to keep all your pups OUT of shelters and rescues, taking them back yourself if the need arises. Responsible breeders carefully scrutinize new owners to minimize chances of this happening.- Only if you breed responsibly from proven, quality stock might you make a little money. There are far easier, and quicker ways to make an extra buck. - Breeding is a lifetime committment, and needs to be taken seriously. Your obligation to that dog or pup will be there long after the price it fetched is spent. - If you think you and your husband have the 'chops' for it, spend the next 12-18 mos. researching the breed and getting all the necessary tests and training done. If it sounds like too much trouble, get her spayed.