What dogs would you suggest to a first time dog owner?

Not knowing about the family I would suggest these easy to train, friendly dogs for first time owners:Bichon FriseBrittanyCavalier King Charles SpanielCockapoo (Cockapoodle)Coton de TulearFrench BulldogGolden RetrieverHavaneseLabrador…

Not knowing about the family I would suggest these easy to train, friendly dogs for first time owners:Bichon FriseBrittanyCavalier King Charles SpanielCockapoo (Cockapoodle)Coton de TulearFrench BulldogGolden RetrieverHavaneseLabrador…...
    General Dog Discussions : What dogs would you suggest to a first time dog owner?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What dogs would you suggest to a first time dog owner?

What dogs would you suggest to a first time dog owner? General Dog Discussions
      Not knowing about the family I would suggest these easy to train, friendly dogs for first time owners:Bichon FriseBrittanyCavalier King Charles SpanielCockapoo (Cockapoodle)Coton de TulearFrench BulldogGolden RetrieverHavaneseLabrador RetrieverMalteseMaltese Shih TzuMaltipooNorfolk TerrierPapillonPeekapooPoodlePugPuggleSamoyedSchnoodleShih TzuSussex SpanielYorkipoo

What dogs would you suggest to a first time dog owner? General Dog Discussions
    • Labs are great first time pets. They are great family pets, working dogs, hunting partners, anything you name it. The only thing is there are so many of them that they are not bred for what their original breeding was made for anymore. So be careful where you get them too. Labs are like robots though. You tell them to sit and they will sit instantly. Very fast learning dogs that don't have too many dominant traits.

• Hello, Honestly, it depends on where you live, the type of schedule you have (How many hours do you spend at home or at work or out of town) If you have to be out of town quite frequently with work or for fun, getting a dog might not be the best animal for you at the time. You have to be aware that no matter what dog you get, dogs are kinda like little kids. The need lots of attention and love and satisfaction that they are making you happy. Most dogs strive to make their owners happy and want to be loved and know they are loved. If you spend a majority of time at home then a puppy might be great for you. With puppys you will have to take care of potty training issues maybe even crate training (which is ideal if you can put them outside while your gone from work) Along with every issue regarding training your starting from scratch. I wouldn't go with a shelter dog unless you know its background. It is always important to get all the information about the dog from the seller or breeder. Because a shelter dog might have a traumatic past and you might have to deal with "bad habbits" that it has already picked up. Depending on the habbits it can be a bare to deal with unless you know how to counter train those actions. Like a common one is separation anxiety where they can tear up your house, and not its not because "ooh lets chew on that" it's more of they have a fear of abandonment and like how people eat their anxietys away they get nervous and chew on things. So it is always good to know a little of the history about a dog you are about to purchase. A larger dog will need more exercise to rile it down and it will be easier to train. But same goes for smaller dogs, most need at least a good 30 min walk a day. I personally have a rat terrier, good loyal dogs but very rambunctious when I get her out and about she is easier to train, she listens better. Because she gets all that energy out of her. Hmm... TO choose which dog you would need to answer questions like those and some dogs can even fit peoples personality. It honestly all depends on yourself and the time you have hun.I hope you can ask yourself some of those questions at least, and it will help you in choosing the right dog that will suit you. Take care ~ Jess

• "First time dog owner" is not enough to go by when recommending a dog to someone. Just as important are questions about the level of exercise the owner can provide, can the physically handle a large dog or is one allowed where they live, are they okay with a dog that needs frequent grooming, do they do they really want a purebred dog or will a nice mutt be fine, what kind of household it is(quiet, busy, are there other animals), financial considerations, and others..

• I would suggest an older rescue dog. They are mostly trained, usually very easy going and loving.. an old gaffer to show them the ropes. I think everyone should start with an old dog, and then if they want they can adopt a puppy and the old dog will help with the training of it! Once you have a mature dog, you wonder why you ever wanted a puppy they are so much more hassle and work! First time dog owners need a dog that can teach them, it works better that way. A lot of people who never had a dog get a puppy and they have no clue what to do or how to do it and they end up giving the dog away in frustration when they can't house train it or whatever. I think every first time dog owner should start with an older dog say 5+ years. Not only does it help save a dog from euthanasia, it starts new dog owners out on the right foot, and prepares them for puppies to come if they find they enjoy having a dog and are capable of handling one. Not everyone can handle a dog, not everyone can handle a puppy.. but it's more likely you will learn more if you start out with a dog who already knows the basics and can teach you!

• I highly recommend visiting an animal shelter or rescue group. You can google dog rescues in your area or search through adoptable dogs by zipcode on petfinder.com.The reason I suggest this, apart from saving a dog's life, is that you will be able to find the dog perfect for your lifestyle by matching his personality and energy level to yours. Every dog is an individual and can't be evaluated by just the breed.

• It would depend on where they lived what there lifestyle was did they work how often were they home did they have children have they a yard garden for the dog how often can they walk the dog is there any particular breed that appeals to them have they researched any breed of dogs the list goes on

• I'm not a first time dog owner, but I'm curious to see what people would suggest to one that is completely new to dog ownership?Loving the answers so far! You guys have some good points as well.Lillana: Actually there are quite a few smaller breeds of dogs who need quite a bit of exercise as well.