A breeder giving the puppies the shots herself?

Before I start, I would appreciate if there are no negative comments about the breeder or about the fact that I went to a breeder.I just discovered that the puppy that I put a down deposit on will not be given shots by a vet, that he will be given shots…

Before I start, I would appreciate if there are no negative comments about the breeder or about the fact that I went to a breeder.I just discovered that the puppy that I put a down deposit on will not be given shots by a vet, that he will be given shots…...
    General Dog Discussions : A breeder giving the puppies the shots herself?...

• A breeder giving the puppies the shots herself?

A breeder giving the puppies the shots herself? General Dog Discussions
      Before I start, I would appreciate if there are no negative comments about the breeder or about the fact that I went to a breeder.I just discovered that the puppy that I put a down deposit on will not be given shots by a vet, that he will be given shots by the breeder. We just put a down deposit on him yesterday, and today I was asking her about a few things and she let me know that. I asked her if the puppies would go to the vet at all to have a checkup to see if they are healthy and she said yes. But she insisted that she was giving the shots to the puppies herself. My main concern here is that, a) there will be no official record of the puppy getting its shot. Yes she can write down and say I gave this shot, but I can easily write that down as well. b) I of course am going to get my dog into obedience courses and the obedience classes all require a proof of vaccinations, a breeders note saying they gave a shot isn't really a form of proof. c) when I take the puppy to the vet for its second round of shots, will the vet take my word in saying that the puppy has already received one set of shots?I'm kicking myself in the butt for not asking this first, but I really loved the puppy and I thought that all the bases had been covered until this morning when I thought of that one question.You know, I never understood why people need to call people names. No question is a bad question, and it is better to ask then to be ignorant. How do you ever learn ANYTHING without asking a question? There is no point in calling me stupid because I decided to ask a question that I was NOT knowledgeable of.

A breeder giving the puppies the shots herself? General Dog Discussions
    • she obviously knows what she's doing. never question a breeder she has more knowledge about dogs than you do. breeding animals is one of the most amazing and beautiful lifechanging moments in the world. i suggest and reccomend everybody to breed their animals at least once

• Many breeders do that because of the expense of taking an entire litter into the vet. The vials have numbers on and can be recorded on the puppies paper work. Reputable breeders would not lie about this, it's their reputation and their lively hood. Rabies is a different matter, any puppy old enough for that is taken to the vet since legal proof is only accepted if signed by a vet. The second round of shots is given by the owners vet, that is proof enough for any classes as the dog shouldn't be in them until ALL the shots are given,..Vets know that many breeders give shots themselves, so if you just tell that to the vet, he shouldn't argue the point with you.

• Lots of people give their own shots. Why are you so concerned about it. If you don't believe they're honest don't buy a dog from them and turn them in to the authorities for running a puppy mill. A document from a registered breeder is acceptable to most authorities as fact, same as a vet. If they're not then you're stupid.

• Most breeders give vaccinations themselves. It's perfectly legal except for the Rabies shot which has to be given by a licensed veterinarian.As long as she takes the litter to a vet for a checkup before she releases them for sale, there is nothing the matter nor anything illegal with what she is doing. I always vaccinated by own puppies land still dog with my adult dogs until the age of 5 years when I titer instead of vaccinate.

• I got my whippet from a breeder who does the shots himself, and our main vet just took down the dates for when the shots were given to put them in the file. As long as the breeder gives you the dates, then the vet can put them in the dog's file, and there's your proof of vaccination for puppy classes.

• Many breeders give the first set of shots themselves; and they also deworm the puppies. The little vials containing the vaccine will have stickers on them. We always transfer the sticker into the medical chart when giving vaccines, but breeders may not. Yes, we do accept the breeders' word about the date and type of vaccine given. It would be DHPP at 6-8 weeks of age. When the owner comes in with the information, we set the due date for the booster 3 weeks after the first vaccine was given. Vets are quite used to this, so don't worry.You have stated the exact reason we aren't thrilled at the vet hospital with the breeders having given treatments. An experienced breeder is so used to giving the vaccines, it's probably fine. I wouldn't lose any sleep over that.Do get your new puppy to your vet as soon as possible after picking him up. Once you get to the vet, they will establish the protocol for vaccines and everything else your new one needs.

• That is common, you can even order it over the net. You can buy the shots from a Vet & do it yourself or you can go to a feed store, the stock all kinds of vaccines for farm animals & you can get what ever you want.For a few yrs I was buying Vit B12 & doing my own injections on my self.The only shot that has any restrictions is the rabies shots. It is a controlled substance.Say your were reputable breeder & had kennels of dogs, say 40 or so. & say 25 whelped just about 3 days apart, would or could you haul all those puppies to a Vet? No, the Vet goes to you, if necessary. & then it is time for the puppy shots & you have 117 puppies or less if you cull. You can buy these puppy shots in lots & give the shots yourself.Or an individual can do the same thing by buy vaccines from a feed store, vet or on line & some pet stores stock vaccines. Why pay a Vet to stick a needle just under the skin. It is a sub-Q & not even IM.

• Most breeders do this, not as a cost savings measure, but out of safety. God knows that breeding a litter properly, is not done with financial considerations in the forefront of decision making. I choose to do my own vaccines because I don't want to take a litter of puppies that are unvaccinated to a place where sick dogs go. (I love my vet but why risk it.) Plus I use a very strict and limited vaccine protocol that many vets do not routinely stock the vaccines. (the vets appeal to the masses and choose to use multiple combination vaccines. I use an approved schedule with single dose vaccines that are more expensive than what most vets can reasonably stock.) After they receive vaccines they can be vet checked, if you are concerned.

• Breeders give the puppy's their first shots. It's very expensive to take them to the vet when she can do it herself. She isn't cheating you. She's a breeder and therefore knows what she can and can't do. Just ask her which shots she is giving him so when you take the puppy to get his second round of shots you will let them know what he already got. The shots are pretty much just boosters for his immune system. Vets know that the firsts shots are given by the breeder. This isn't uncommon.