7month GSD has Giardia parasite infection?

I just adopted a 7month old GSD from a high kill shelter two weeks ago. Ive noticed that he has very inconsistent stool, but mostly diahhrea. I took him to the vet for all his shots and did a parasite test which came out positive for Giardia.The vet…

I just adopted a 7month old GSD from a high kill shelter two weeks ago. Ive noticed that he has very inconsistent stool, but mostly diahhrea. I took him to the vet for all his shots and did a parasite test which came out positive for Giardia.The vet…...
    General Dog Discussions : 7month GSD has Giardia parasite infection?...

• 7month GSD has Giardia parasite infection?

7month GSD has Giardia parasite infection? General Dog Discussions
      I just adopted a 7month old GSD from a high kill shelter two weeks ago. Ive noticed that he has very inconsistent stool, but mostly diahhrea. I took him to the vet for all his shots and did a parasite test which came out positive for Giardia.The vet just called to tell me to pick up his meds. They said it is highly contagious so I should be careful when handling my dog. Is this disease curable? And is my dog in pain? Also, are there any foods that I should or should not be feeding him??Thanks!

7month GSD has Giardia parasite infection? General Dog Discussions
    • Yes it's curable. He has an upset stomach and maybe doesn't feel well but the medication will really help. Feed him normally and let the medication do its job. My lab had it really bad as a puppy too and she recovered. However, she had a temperamental stomach for the rest of her life. If that happens you'll just have to be aware that her stomach can get upset if she eats things outside of her healthy dry dog food.

• It's curable, but it is transferable to humans, so make sure you pick up his stools with gloves. The medicine the vet provides will cure him. It's usually a powder form you put in his food. In about 2 weeks you will have to bring a stool sample in for a follow-up Giardia specific test which costs about 30 dollars, but it tests specifically for Giardia, which can go unnoticed in a regular stool test.

• Giardia is a cyst that comes out in the dogs stool - so you need to be careful of how the stool is handled and that other animals do not get into it. Humans and other mammals can get Giardia and carry the Giardia. It can be cured if you give the medicine the vet prescribes and follow the directions.

• My cat had giardia. She was given Metronidazole for 7 or 10 days and Clavamox for 10 or 7 days (can't remember which was for how long). This cleared up the infection and besides a small tapeworm infection contracted from a bout of nasty fleas, she has been parasite free since.Giardia can be passed to humans so it is important that you do practice good hygiene and I would suggest cleaning up his stools after he goes because giardia can live in soil and this will decrease likelihood of becoming infected again.

• dogs usually get giarida from drinking contaminated water. It is contagious but if you wash you hands each time you handle the pup, everything should be okay. I would feed him a bland diet for a few days, boiled chicken and rice, little or no salt.We lost a pup to giardia a few yr back and almost lost a second one to the disease/parasite. They were from the same litter, inside all the time/under 4 weeks old. We decided the water we were drinking had to be contaminated. Our water is spring water, pumped into the house. since then, 10 yr ago we have brought in other water for our own drinking as well as for the dogs. Neither the mama dog, nor the other pups in the litter had the giardia, just the 2. They got sick so quickly. I took them straight to the vet at the first sign of distress and the one was gone within a couple of hours. The other had to be medicated for a couple of weeks but survived and thrived.Here is a good article on it.http://www.canismajor.com/dog/giardia.html

• My dog also had Giardia. Unfortunately, even after you give him the medicine it can remain in him in a dorment stage and resurface. Also, as other's have said, it is HIGHLY contagious, so even if you think he is cured, be careful with other animals and humans. So, you will always need to kindof watch him. I know I have given him the medicine several times, in addition to the shots. Feed him food like Nutro Oatmeal for sensitive stomachs, and be sure not to let him have any people food. Also, Nutro makes treats with Oatmeal for sensitive stomachs. Good Luck!