How do I introduce my new dog to my dog?

From my experience of introducing my mastiff with my mini doxie I can tell you that they will act differently when on a leash than when they are loose. We first tried to gradually introduce them by letting them see each other, then smell each other, then…

From my experience of introducing my mastiff with my mini doxie I can tell you that they will act differently when on a leash than when they are loose. We first tried to gradually introduce them by letting them see each other, then smell each other, then…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do I introduce my new dog to my dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I introduce my new dog to my dog?

How do I introduce my new dog to my dog? General Dog Discussions
      From my experience of introducing my mastiff with my mini doxie I can tell you that they will act differently when on a leash than when they are loose. We first tried to gradually introduce them by letting them see each other, then smell each other, then get closer. But the dogs seemed to be more protective that way so we separated them. Then one day we let the mastiff in the house with the doxie on accident and they sniffed each other then quickly became friends. My mastiff knows not to be too rough with the little guy and they get along great now. As long as neither dog is aggressive I dont think their would be a problem. You may want to try to introduce them at a neutral spot like the park or a neighbors yard. Your older dog may feel protective over "HIS" house or backyard. Either way I would still keep a good eye over them when they first meet, and be ready for anything!

How do I introduce my new dog to my dog? General Dog Discussions
    • Well....... What I dod was keep both my dogs on a leash (unless it's a puppy) and then slowly get them some-what close to each other to sniff and get each other scents recognized. They should be on leashes for a month but you can get them a little bit closer each time. It doesn't have to be a month if they are being friendly to each other. But we recommend that if it's a puppy that you hold it and don't let it get too close.I hope this helps!=)

• I'm going to go all "Cesar Milan" on you- it has worked with our introductions and helped with friends' dogs introductions. First, put a slip collar on both of your dogs to introduce. Make sure your collars are put on correctly for one dog to be on either side of you. Let them interact, with the collars loose. If one of them starts even hinting at starting something, gently pull UP not away from the other dog. Most likely the older dog will try to start something first, but it is not always the case. If they don't try anything, don't encourage them to. This is so they will see each other as equals and your older dog knows that it isn't just his territory anymore and to accept the new dog. All the talk about putting your dog in a crate an d letting dog#1 come and sniff and whatever is just teaching the older dog he's the boss of the yourger dog and will eventually lead to a disagreement among the two and possibly a fight.

• Honestly, the shelter should have had you bring your current dog to the shelter before adoption to see if they get along. The dogs need to be introduced in a neutral setting - they need to walk together (with the humans in between) until both are calm and pretty much ignoring one another, then they can actually meet and greet one another.They should not be allowed to greet face to face if either or both are aroused - in other words if they're barking, jumping around, screeching, or being anything other than CALM then they should not be allowed near one another. That is how fights can break out.In the home, the dogs should be on the leash for a few days. NO unsupervised play time. Use baby gates to separate them. Feed them in separate rooms. Monitor the toys.What do you plan on doing if they DON'T get along?

• I just adopted a dog from the shelter home and I would like it to befriend my old dog. I hope they will be friends. How do I introduce my new dog to my dog?The own I just adopted is a Cocker Spaniel, very friendly while the current dog I have is a Dachshund. They are both males. I am worrying whether they will fight or not. I bringing the new dog home on Sunday. I hope they will get along fine. My dachshund is an agressive-kind-of dog.