Is it possible to bring my Dog back from Mexico after 6 months?

About 6 months ago, I wasn't able to support my dog anymore. So without further thinking of consequences, I asked a relative to take care of her for me. That Relative lives in Mexico. Now that I'm eligible to care for her, can I bring her back and if so…

About 6 months ago, I wasn't able to support my dog anymore. So without further thinking of consequences, I asked a relative to take care of her for me. That Relative lives in Mexico. Now that I'm eligible to care for her, can I bring her back and if so…...
    General Dog Discussions : Is it possible to bring my Dog back from Mexico after 6 months?...

• Is it possible to bring my Dog back from Mexico after 6 months?

Is it possible to bring my Dog back from Mexico after 6 months? General Dog Discussions
      About 6 months ago, I wasn't able to support my dog anymore. So without further thinking of consequences, I asked a relative to take care of her for me. That Relative lives in Mexico. Now that I'm eligible to care for her, can I bring her back and if so HOW? What are the requirements? I live in the Chicago area and the breed is a WGSD. Thanks for your help

Is it possible to bring my Dog back from Mexico after 6 months? General Dog Discussions
    • It is possible but a hassle from what I have heard,see below for some useful info.Also speak with your vet as to what steps need to be taken to get him here.Good luck,best wishes!Here's a excerpt from the site posted:DogsDomestic dogs must be free of evidence of diseases communicable to humans when examined at the port of entry. If the animal is not in apparent good health, further examination by a licensed veterinarian may be required at the owner's expense.Collies, shepherds, and other dogs that are imported from any part of the world except Canada, Mexico, and regions of Central America and the West Indies and that are to be used in the handling of livestock must be inspected and quarantined at the port of entry for a sufficient time to determine their freedom from tapeworm.Dogs must be vaccinated against rabies at least 30 days before entering the United States. This requirement does not apply, however, to puppies less than three months of age or to dogs originating or located for at least six months in areas designated by the U.S. Public Health Service as being rabies-free.The following procedures pertain to dogs arriving from areas that are not free of rabies:•A valid rabies vaccination certificate should accompany the animal. This certificate should be in English or be accompanied by a translation. It should identify the animal, the dates of vaccination and expiration, and be signed by a licensed veterinarian. If no expiration date is specified, the certificate is acceptable if the date of vaccination is no more than 12 months before the date of arrival. Some certificates say the vaccine is good for three years. Dogs should not get re-vaccinated if they are within the dates of the certificate.•Dogs not accompanied by proof of rabies vaccination, including those that are too young to be vaccinated (less than 3 months of age), may be admitted if the importer completes a confinement agreement and confines the animal until it is considered adequately vaccinated against rabies (the vaccine is not considered effective until 30 days after the date of vaccination).•If the vaccination was performed less than 30 days before arrival, the animal may be admitted but must be confined at a place of the owner's choosing until at least 30 days have passed since the vaccination.•Young puppies must be confined at a place of the owner's choosing until they are three months old, then they must be vaccinated. They must remain in confinement for 30 days.Dogs that arrive in Hawaii or Guam, both of which are free of rabies, are subject to the state's or territory's quarantine requirements, in addition to whatever other Public Health Service requirements, above, apply.