Need help? My puppy is pooing out worms that look like white rice?

I just noticed this today. They look like little rice. Anyone know what this is and if they have over the conter medicine that i can give him. And is it contagious, i have one other dog.

I just noticed this today. They look like little rice. Anyone know what this is and if they have over the conter medicine that i can give him. And is it contagious, i have one other dog....
    General Dog Discussions : Need help? My puppy is pooing out worms that look like white rice?...

• Need help? My puppy is pooing out worms that look like white rice?

Need help? My puppy is pooing out worms that look like white rice? General Dog Discussions
      I just noticed this today. They look like little rice. Anyone know what this is and if they have over the conter medicine that i can give him. And is it contagious, i have one other dog.

Need help? My puppy is pooing out worms that look like white rice? General Dog Discussions
    • lol they got worms! thats bad. go to the vet.. thats some prescription stuff there... you may need to give the medication the vet gives you to both dogs because worms can spread, if you dont take both dogs into the vet at least have the age and weight of your other dog, and maybe the breed so you can medicate him/her against worms too..

• Yes they are contagious and you need to take said puppy to the vet and here's why. Over the counter is okay in an emergency, but they don't work on EVERY strain of worms. Vets have the super duper stuff that kills everything.

• These are tapeworm tips. They are really gross, and expand and contract when your dog freshly poops them out. The tips also carry eggs.You can buy tapeworm medicine at any Petstore. (It is usually faster than getting to the Vet), and you don't even need a prescription to get it. Just make sure the medicine IS for tapeworms, because there are other worms dogs can get, too. Then, always pick up right after the dog so the poop isn't lying around. And, make sure any pieces of this "rice," tapeworm tips are picked up / vacummed around the house - and the dog isn't reingesting them by licking itself. If you do all this, one dosage is usually enough. And the pills are more effective than the vaccine.Tapeworms are picked up from flea bites or from your dog catching a rabbit that has them. They can also get them if they lick the ground and some other animal pooped the tips/eggs in the area. Tapeworms are really bad for your dog because they eat the nutrients in your dog's digestive system, that the dog should be getting. It needs to be resolved right away.

• Your puppy has tape worms. Your vet can give him an injection to deworm him. He should also be checked for other types of worms. Bring a stool sample to you vet and they will check for other common worms in puppies. I would also check you puppy for fleas, as flea are the intermediate host for tape worm in the dog.

• ew these are grows, my dog had these, they are called tapeworms and you need to take him to the vet so they can give him a prescription medicine, and yes be careful these are contagious. they should give you a big pill that you have to give and they should go away shortly, and keep an eye out for the other dog when it goes the bathroom

• Take it the vet as soon as you can! You need to have it checked for other worms. The vet will give your puppy a medicine that will get rid of the worms but beware when she starts to pass them they will look like a lot of spaghetti coming out and this process takes about a day or so. But it is so worth it when you have a healthy puppy. Ask your vet about whether or not they are contagious and good luck!

• Hello, your puppy is very sick and needs to go to the vet. Get off the computer and get it to a doctor...ASAP. Since you have been told this you can be liable for anything that goes wrong with him. Animal cruelty is a crime

• He does have tape worms. You need to take your dog to the vet so they can give you the proper medication. Some people recommend something from the pet store, but they don't ALWAYS work, and what your vet prescribes will. Just describe what you saw to them.

• Tapeworms. Those little rice-looking things are actually pieces of the adult worm, not eggs. Most OTC medications don't have a component that gets rid of tapeworms. It isn't necessarily contagious... most dogs get tapeworms from fleas. But, make sure you are cleaning up their poop outside as soon as they go to prevent the spread of any other worms. Check with the vet as to what medication you can give him. Something with fenbendazole, bunamidine, or praziquantel will work IF you can find it at a pet store, but usually these are in lower doses that may not be as effective as you'd hope. Good luck!