is it still possible for a 11 month old beagle to learn to potty outside not inside ?

have taken him out every 2 hours but he has a weird bladder he pees a lot and when i tell him off he runs away thinking im paying with him and when he does number 2 he only does it inside please help need quick recovery and if you have any tips and is…

is it still possible for a 11 month old beagle to learn to potty outside not inside ?

have taken him out every 2 hours but he has a weird bladder he pees a lot and when i tell him off he runs away thinking im paying with him and when he does number 2 he only does it inside please help need quick recovery and if you have any tips and is…...
    General Dog Discussions : is it still possible for a 11 month old beagle to learn to potty outside not inside ?...

• is it still possible for a 11 month old beagle to learn to potty outside not inside ?

is it still possible for a 11 month old beagle to learn to potty outside not inside ? General Dog Discussions
      have taken him out every 2 hours but he has a weird bladder he pees a lot and when i tell him off he runs away thinking im paying with him and when he does number 2 he only does it inside please help need quick recovery and if you have any tips and is it still possible for him to learn it ?

is it still possible for a 11 month old beagle to learn to potty outside not inside ? General Dog Discussions
    • Beagles can be very hard to house train. Crate training is a must and the dog should be directly supervised by a responsible person any time it is out of the crate, until he is trained. This is labor intensive, but it is the only way. You might have the vet check a urine sample to make sure he does not have a bladder infection. Are you giving him a treat & praise when he does go outside? You only mention "telling him off" when he is bad and "telling off" only works for people and not with many of them LOL!You can house train a dog at any age, it just takes longer w/ older ones.

• I agree with only one point of the above poster, you can't tell a dog off, they don't get it. A simple, firm, "No!" will eventually get their attention. However, I strongly, strongly disagree with beagles being hard to train and shame on the person who said so. I've owned two beagles as inside pets and they both picked up housebreaking pretty quickly. Beagles are very smart, especially pure bred. Now, on to your question. First, when you're beginning housebreaking your dog, every two hours is about right unless they've had water or their food, then it's about 20 minutes to an hour. Take your dog for a long walk on a leash every day, about 25-30 minutes to help burn off some of that energy and to give him ample time to do his business.My 4 month old red tick short legged beagle was doing the same, she would pee A LOT. Or act like she had to pee and when she squatted would only pee a couple drops. So I took some lemon juice and mixed about a teaspoon in her water twice a week and it seems to have helped. But you could also take him to the vet to see if he does indeed have a bladder infection. When he goes number 2 in the house, you must catch him in the ACT of doing it. Catching it afterward doesn't help. If you catch him in the act, firmly tell him no! then take him outside. Never use his name when you tell him no because he most likely at this point of his age associates his name with play time. Just look him in the eye and give him a firm disappointed No. Then take him outside and show him where you want him to go. If you catch the mess, do not punish him because he thinks he's being punished for the mess, not the act, and it won't help. Take him out after he eats, about 20 minutes to an hour, and STAY OUTSIDE with him until he does number 2. When he's done his business outside like you want, take him back in.. give him a gentle, loving pet and say calmly "Good boy" then go about your business. No need to make a production out of it. A loving touch and a calm "good boy" gets the message through that you're pleased with him. After all, our dogs mainly want to just please us and make us happy with them. Check out Cesar Millan, he has a lot of great tips and tricks on this issue and it helped me so much with my puppy.