What color border collie is most likely to win at a dog show?

I'm trying to get a show border collie for conformation and junior showmanship. I heard that certain colors make it less or more noticable in the show ring.

I'm trying to get a show border collie for conformation and junior showmanship. I heard that certain colors make it less or more noticable in the show ring....
    Dog Breed Discussions : What color border collie is most likely to win at a dog show?...

• What color border collie is most likely to win at a dog show?

What color border collie is most likely to win at a dog show? Dog Breed Discussions
      I'm trying to get a show border collie for conformation and junior showmanship. I heard that certain colors make it less or more noticable in the show ring.

What color border collie is most likely to win at a dog show? Dog Breed Discussions
    • there really is no color preference...been seeing some really pretty...I would call an almost a blond color lately.... I still love the black and whites though...very flashy!

• "The Border Collie appears in all colors or combination of colors and/or markings. Solid color, bi-color, tri-color, merle and sable dogs are to be judged equally with no one color or pattern preferred over another. White markings may be clear white or ticked to any degree. Random white patches on the body and head are permissible but should not predominate. Color and markings are always secondary to physical evaluation and gait"Essentially, a judge shouldn't have a color preference or judge with one. As a working/herding breed, your dog should be primarily judged on his conformation and ability to perform his job. Many people love and think of black and white 'tuxedo' markings as being the best color for a Border Collie, but it isn't breed standard criteria. Contact the breed parent club for more information and advice, and consider membership - very valuable for those thinking of emabarking on a show career: http://www.bordercolliesociety.com/

• There is no specific color that wins more unless the color is just much more common. The decision is made on how the dog conforms to the standard. The thing with certin color dogs is the colors the handler wears can make them blend into the handler from a distance, for example if you have a black and white for example don't where black or white, wear something like pale blue or green instead, or if you have a red and white don't wear brown or white.

• I have shown dogs since 1977 and I don't care what people say when it comes to colour preference from a judge - It IS there, it DOES happen. Given that you have 2 dogs, of equally good confirmation, tail set, head, gait etc., a judge will 99 percent of the time go for the black and white. They are startling.That is not to say that another colour won't beat your B+W if it is of inferior quality to it's competitor. I am only saying it happens when all else is equal. Same happens in labradors, a chocolate of equal quality will never beat a yellow or a black and some judges will put up yellows over blacks consistently and vice versa for other judges. Remember I did qualify it - all else being equal.

• here you go.This might help you.http://www.akc.org/breeds/border_collie/But when picking out a pup i would deffienty get one from a reputable show breederbut its not just about the dogs coat.Its about the dogs body structure, etc..

• I also dogs in conformation and junior showmanship, but with Cardigans. Although color shouldn't make any difference to a judge as long as the dog has good structure, lets face it, there are judges that prefer certain colors even though there might be a dog with much better structure that isn't the color they prefer. Like in Cardis, a red cardigan is sometimes nearly impossible to finish as opposed to a blue or brindle. As for BCs, although I really like the fawn/blonde whatever you call it color, I find the traditional black and white to be more striking. Its the same in Cardis. If your talking junior showmanship, its a whole different ball game. Once again judges aren't suppose to do this, but judges not only notice more flashy breeds, but its also about who you know and how much you show. Like, there is a girl who shows in my area who's mom is a pretty well known handler and she gets around herself too, and to top that off she shows a Dobie, which are very showy/flashy dogs. So she is more likely to get picked over me with my Cardigan for those reasons alone. It's sad, but true. Just do your best, practice practice practice, and show your dog well, sometimes a judge will come along that will pick while most just ignored you. Remember if your a suckish handler you have no chance, but if you are a good handler you at least have the right to be judged fairly and possibly get picked.The only advice I can give you is KNOW YOUR JUDGES. Keep tabs on them, watch what they pick, do they like movement, do they look more to structure than movement, do they pick this color dog a lot even though there were ones of different color but better structure in the ring, would they automatically pick a special or would they put up a puppy if it was good enough, and if they picked your dog or made a good comment about your dog then look out for that judge at another show to show to again, they may or may not put your dog up again, but at least you have a better shot at it than if you were going on a straight gamble.Good Luck!