Can my neighbors be charged with animal cruelty for letting my dog die?

I was on vacation in another state. At the time I left I did not own a dog, but my neighbors knew I was in the market for a German Sheppard. My neighbor called me and said she found a puppy and sent me pics of the dog. She asked if I wanted her to…

I was on vacation in another state. At the time I left I did not own a dog, but my neighbors knew I was in the market for a German Sheppard. My neighbor called me and said she found a puppy and sent me pics of the dog. She asked if I wanted her to…...
    General Dog Discussions : Can my neighbors be charged with animal cruelty for letting my dog die?...

• Can my neighbors be charged with animal cruelty for letting my dog die?

Can my neighbors be charged with animal cruelty for letting my dog die? General Dog Discussions
      I was on vacation in another state. At the time I left I did not own a dog, but my neighbors knew I was in the market for a German Sheppard. My neighbor called me and said she found a puppy and sent me pics of the dog. She asked if I wanted her to pick the dog up and if so to send her money for the purchase. I sent her the money and she picked up the dog and said she would care for her until I got back from vacation. The dog was 12 weeks old when she picked her up. The dog immediately started throwing up all over the back seat of the car. She thought the dog may have been car sick. The next day the dog began to throw up whole pieces of dog food. By the third day, the dog was not eating, constantly throwing up and had bad diarrhea and was bleeding profusely. I instructed the neighbor to take the dog to the vet but she refused saying she didn't want to contaminate her vehicle. I also mentioned to take the dog back to the seller and get a refund. She responded saying they wont refund the money. I then asked her to just drop the dog off at the sellers house and I'll sue them for a refund when I come off vacation. She refused to do that. I said then take the dog to the pound and have it humanely euthanized. She refused to do that. Unfortunately, the dog died and she wrapped it in trash bags and left it in my garage to rot. I came home the next day to find the dead dog in the garage. Should the neighbors be held accountable for the dogs death? Should the sellers also be responsible for selling a sick dog? Thanks!When I asked the neighbor for the sellers contact information, she refused to give it to me. I also have text messages and voicemail saying she'll care for the dog until I get back. I must add, half way through my vacation, my neighbor started sending me threatening text messages saying she's out and will not help me with the dog and if the dog dies she will say I abandoned it etc.

Can my neighbors be charged with animal cruelty for letting my dog die? General Dog Discussions
    • Oh my gosh! That doesnt seem right at all!!!!!! That makes me sad. You probably cod get some charges pressed against her cause she did die. If you ehave evidence of her saying all thay, you're good to go!

• she is held accountable. definately. i can not believe she did that. that is sick for her to think a dog will contaminate her car. if she brought the dog to the vet they may of been able to save her. but she just let it continue to vomit. also, go to the seller and question them about why the dog was sick.

• Well, that is very sad. Unfortunately that illness was probably parvovirus, an illness very common in puppies. Though it is sad, the puppy most likely wouldn't have survived anyway. I'm sorry for your loss. There's nothing you can do to completely prevent it. However if the puppy had been taken to the vet they might have been able to help him. Legally your neighbor was not at fault, but I'd be mad at her if I were you. The sickness was not the sellers fault, and they probably didn't even know the puppy was ill.

• Your neighbor took your money and gave you a dead carcass. They are completely liable and owe you a full refund. Make a report to your animal services department and your police department (they left a dead puppy in your garage, that's ridiculous). File a claim against them in court for the money you gave them.

• Wow. Terrible story.The puppy probably had parvo. Very very contagious and anything this dog has come near is likely now contaminated with parvo which could be deadly to any other puppy brought into that space for a very long time.I suggest you immediately report this to the local animal control as well as your local police department. I would also immediately contact the seller. Reputable breeders offer lifetime health guarantees on their puppies, but a reputable breeder would be unlikely to have parvo going on and certainly wouldn't spread it around if they knew about it as their reputations are at stake.Trying to fight the sellers over selling a parvo pup would likely be an exersize in futility if you wanted some sort of monetary result, but if it were me I'd still file a formal complaint with any governing body I could find. If enough people complain about a particular breeder, maybe the issue would get some attention.There's an ongoing issue related to distemper at a shelter, you can read about it on Facebook at Saving Baby Daniel where dozens if not hundreds of dogs have died of distemper after being adopted. From a shelter. And little is happening about it, shelter is denying distemper. It's terrible.If it were me, I would NEVER have anything to do with that neighbor, ever, ever again.Oh, and definately talk to Animal Control as well as do your own research on parvo, how to clean up after it, how to keep any future dog safe and most important HOW LONG BEFORE YOU CAN SAFELY BRING ANOTHER PUPPY INTO THAT SPACE.