Why does my dog eat and drink water constantly at old age?

Don't worry it isn't anything bad.You might want to go to the vet annually for a check up though just to be safe!I have a 14 year old dog and he is always drinking water and eating.Why? Because they need more to keep going because they aren't as strong…

Don't worry it isn't anything bad.You might want to go to the vet annually for a check up though just to be safe!I have a 14 year old dog and he is always drinking water and eating.Why? Because they need more to keep going because they aren't as strong…...
    General Dog Discussions : Why does my dog eat and drink water constantly at old age?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why does my dog eat and drink water constantly at old age?

Why does my dog eat and drink water constantly at old age? General Dog Discussions
      Don't worry it isn't anything bad.You might want to go to the vet annually for a check up though just to be safe!I have a 14 year old dog and he is always drinking water and eating.Why? Because they need more to keep going because they aren't as strong and it can make them stronger.Lots of excersise might tire it out and make it thristy and hungry too.A lot of excersise CAN help but food is a must.I give my dog 3 helpings a day (Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner) and he does tricks I give him treats.It helps keep them full and happy and healthy.You dog is fine and probably in dog paradise!Hope I helped!

Why does my dog eat and drink water constantly at old age? General Dog Discussions
    • sometimes....he should be checked to make sure he's not dealing with a urinary infection that would require medication but our old dogs get to the point where they act like they are starving ,eat more and yet get thinner. happens near the end of their life.

• My shih tzu is 17 and still eats and drinks normally, but not constantly. The biggest problem is when they STOP eating and drinking. Just the same, it couldn't hurt to have the dog checked by a vet. Have a "senior exam" to make sure everything's okay with your dog!

• Yup it is o.k. ... my 16 year old dog does the same as long as you are not having accidents there is no big deal (my dog drinks more because she has actually become less effective at drawing water into her mouth now that she is old. instead of scooping she just sticks her tongue in the water over and over)

• old age is where they then stop running around like a pup and get into the grandpa stage of getting good food and water and sleeping on his nice bed while watching a great flick on tv your dog has hit his grandpa stage of life and is perfectly fine as long as he goes to the bathroom correctly