How many cups of water should my 4 month old puppy drink?

I have a 4 month old Greater Swiss Mountain dog puppy who weighs 35lbs. He currently drinks whatever amount of water we put in the bowl. He'll drink a whole bowl in one sitting if we don't stop him and he'll keep drinking if we fill the bowl. I don't…

I have a 4 month old Greater Swiss Mountain dog puppy who weighs 35lbs. He currently drinks whatever amount of water we put in the bowl. He'll drink a whole bowl in one sitting if we don't stop him and he'll keep drinking if we fill the bowl. I don't…...
    General Dog Discussions : How many cups of water should my 4 month old puppy drink?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How many cups of water should my 4 month old puppy drink?

How many cups of water should my 4 month old puppy drink? General Dog Discussions
      I have a 4 month old Greater Swiss Mountain dog puppy who weighs 35lbs. He currently drinks whatever amount of water we put in the bowl. He'll drink a whole bowl in one sitting if we don't stop him and he'll keep drinking if we fill the bowl. I don't think this is normal, but I'm also not a vet. I'm wondering how much water we should be giving him in a day? right now he gets about a bowl and a half (each bowl holds 4 1/2 cups). Thanks!

How many cups of water should my 4 month old puppy drink? General Dog Discussions
    • It sounds like your puppy may be dehydrated or else he make not know when to stop. I know that may sound silly but its true.! Puppys can be quite foolish. I wouldn't worry about the amount he is drinking. It is normal just make sure he has fresh clean drinking water whenever he needs it. All you have to worry about is more frequent trips to the potty :) x

• You should always let puppies drink however much water they want during the day. But it does equal more potty trips.Fill up his bowl whenever it is empty. And to prevent bathroom accidents at night, put the bowl away around 7pm. Or just empty it out. Might be a good idea to get one of those jugs, that holds about 3 gallons. It then distributes water to a certain line in the bowl it attaches to whenever it gets empty. You won't have to fill up his bowl as often!