German Shepherd symptoms of (Hip dysplasia) he is 2 months old is it permanent or will he grow out of it?

Should i be worried or puppy german shepherds are like that? What can i do to prevent from getting worse. And what type of medicine or vitamins can i give him?

German Shepherd symptoms of (Hip dysplasia) he is 2 months old is it permanent or will he grow out of it?

Should i be worried or puppy german shepherds are like that? What can i do to prevent from getting worse. And what type of medicine or vitamins can i give him?...
    General Dog Discussions : German Shepherd symptoms of (Hip dysplasia) he is 2 months old is it permanent or will he grow out of it?...

• German Shepherd symptoms of (Hip dysplasia) he is 2 months old is it permanent or will he grow out of it?

German Shepherd symptoms of (Hip dysplasia) he is 2 months old is it permanent or will he grow out of it? General Dog Discussions
      Should i be worried or puppy german shepherds are like that? What can i do to prevent from getting worse. And what type of medicine or vitamins can i give him?

German Shepherd symptoms of (Hip dysplasia) he is 2 months old is it permanent or will he grow out of it? General Dog Discussions
    • O.O well how is he acting? Take him to the vet for a check up. Your vet has all the answers not us. Ask your vet about medication to improve your dogs bone and joint strength. Good quality food..etc.

• Unfortunately, German Shepherds are notoriously prone to hip problems. It can be accommodated, but is more or less permanent. A vet will be able to give you a better picture of treatment options for your specific dog, but it will most likely be pain-killers.

• If a GSD is showing signs of hip dysplasia at such a young age, this is not good. Really Really not good. You need to get a diagnosis from the vet and check your sales contract. A responsible GSD breeder GUARANTEES the hips for life. If he's diagnosed, you may have grounds to sue the breeder for selling a sick dog, especially if you can prove that the breeder KNEW his dogs throw HD puppies. This is why it's SO important to buy dogs from responsible breeders.For the pup, he needs to be on a low-protein dog food and should be given joint supplements. California Natural and Innova large breed puppy foods are my favourite, followed by Natural Balance all stages. http://www.k9power.com/wholistic_joint_mobility.php is my favourite supplement and it includes not just joint products, but probiotics to help their GI tract, and overall vitamins.+ If it's not HD, which is NOT common in such a young pup, unless it's really severe, then my next guesses would be an injury, Panosteitis http://www.total-german-shepherd.com/Panosteitis-in-the-GSD.html , or some other sort of illness. Regardless, the vet needs to make a diagnosis sooner rather than later. You cannot let the pup suffer without treatment.

• What are the symptoms? HD at 2 mos? Highly doubt it. More likely growing pains or an injury, best to get him to your vet and have him check out his gait. I wouldn't worry about supplements assuming you are feeding a high quality food. They also do not replace medical attention. Nothing you can do, if you think there's something serious please see your vet..it's usually NOT anything serious, but always could be. I wouldn't wait and see.

• If it is truly Hip Dyspepsia and these animals are two months old it is not something they will grow out of and treatment is a must as it will get worse as the animal grows but always take you animal to a Veterinarian before doing anything else. He will know the best course of action to take for your particular situation and animal. Just to answer a few of your questions: Hip dyspepsia is associated with abnormal joint structure and a laxity of the muscles, connective tissue, and ligaments that would normally support the joint. As joint laxity develops, the articular surfaces of the two bones lose contact with each other. There are three surgical routes but I would look into Juvenile Pubic Symphonists: A less invasive surgery for treating hip dyspepsia.This surgery prematurely fuses two pelvic bones together, allowing the other pelvic bones to develop normally. This changes the angle of the hips and improves the articulation of this joint, lessening the likelihood of osteoarthritis. Early diagnosis is critical, since the procedure must be done before 20 weeks of age, preferably 16 weeks, and before any signs of arthritis are evident.

• GSD are notoriously likely to develop Hip dysplasia. Did you bother to research their common genetic health problems before buying? Did you buy from someone who has screened both parents before doing the breeding? (Did the breeder show you OFA certificates or Penn-hip ratings on the parents?) Did you get a written health guarantee when you bought the dog - that covered this possibility? (Written health guarantees are common in breeds with this type of health proble

• 2 months of age with HD? are you real, this sounds like he hasn't developed his muscles properly, try giving him some high protein food, and a GSD should be on a calcium supplement at that age, so it develops it's bones properly. MY QUESTION. Why do people buy dogs that they know nothing about?

• I don't know who said your Pup as HD have a vet checked it out at 8 weeks you most have just bought this pup if so and you think it has a hip problem then you should contact the breeder as that is the most decent thing to do and let the breeder see the pup.If the breeder don't think there are any problems inform the breeder that you will be taking the pup to the vets which you have to do to get all the injections done before you can take the pup out and ask if the breeder would rather the breeders vet check out the pup this way the breeder would know all about it. I am sorry if the pup has got very bad hips at this age the chances are it will get worst as it gets older it may pay to ask the breeder for a new pup or your money back.

• diagnosing hd on a 2month old is jumping the gun. the best thing to do is don't excersice him or take him for walks let play be the only source of this for the first year keep him lean not overweight, get the hips checked at 12 months than again at 2 years of age. they can sometimes grow out of it. also give a heaping spoon of cottage cheese or ester-c daily. good luck i had a female who had hd and i kept her lean and healthy for 10 years with no prob on her hips even thought the vet said that hers were one of the worst he'd seen. she never showed any signs of it before and after she was diagnosed

• [Muhammad] has a LOT to learn about HD. Starting with that the GSD is down about 40th on the OFA list of "breeds likely to get HD". My kennel's last case of HD was born in 1983, and was NOT planned by me - a 4 months pup sneakily mated his too-cooperative dam (giving 3:2 in-breeding on a high-risk pooch), and by the time I realised that she was pregnant it was too late to do anything about it. [E.H.Amos] seems to still have some learning to do.[RaelNR]:What on EARTH has made you ask this question? Have you been listening to the old wives & their tales of gloom & despair?There are NO reliable signs of HD, other than showing pain. And even that is not a reliable sign of HD - elbow dysplasia, panosteitis, a popped ACL in the knee, a greenstick fracture of the thigh, a bruised muscle are all more likely at his age.There are always loud-mouthed know-alls who will tell you that a sloped top-line or wobbly hocks or something else means HD - smile & dismiss them for the ignoramuses they are.Zacki, my first bit.ch, had only one litter. A pup from that was was collapsing in pain by 4 months old. There was no HD scheme back then, but our vet sent us to the veterinary university where they were testing out ways to detect HD. Zacki passed all the physical test with flying colours, including dancing in the waltz position with one of the profs - not surprising, as on one occasion while we were out shopping she had done a standing leap to come inside through the open window about 7-8 feet above her run (whereupon she opened the fridge, ate the meat that was supposed to feed her for the next 3 nights, then polished off a dozen eggs shell & all - and when the clock reached "doggy dinner time" that night had the cheek to expect to be fed!). But xrays showed that she had virtually no hips. The profs also told us that they had operated on the stud to correct HIS HD - but the stud-owner wasn't telling THAT to anyone!Unfortunately, xrays do NOT tell breeders whether a pooch is carrying single copies of recessives - recessives take effect only when they are inherited as a pair. So a dog & a bit.ch can have PERFECT jo9nts on xray, yet each possess a single copy of every "bad" recessive, and when the pair are mated together about a quarter of the pups will inherit a full set of "bad" pairs, and about half the litter will inherit SOME "bad" pairs so have some degree of HD (or ED). Only a progeny analysis can reveal the presence of "bad" recessives - and then only if BOTH parents carry the SAME recessive or recessives. But the BIF-scoring scheme used in Britain, Australia, New Zealand is the only one that conducts a full progeny analysis. The SV has a complicated (but dead simple to use) ZW scheme which tells you the average risk for any planned mating, but neglects to inform breeders of the WORST hips a parent has ever produced, yet THAT is the crucial figure!You should have had your pup not more than a week if he is 8 weeks now.Even if both parents has a full set of the recessives involved in HD, it is unlikely that such a young pup will be afflicted yet. But on the good side, if xrays show that he IS already afflicted, he is probably still young enough for a "rim nicking" operation to be successful - in a few week's time he will be too old for that one to work.In the Links => Diseases_&_Disorders section of the site below you will find sections devoted to the developmental disorders mentioned.But remember that only xrays can confirm that a pain is or is not due to HD, ED, a greenstick fracture, or an ACL tear in the knee. Panosteitis can be diagnosed by palpation.There are chemicals that can be given - some as injections, some as pills - but I don't recommend them for very young pups, as all they do is defer the moment at which an operation is necessary. It's rather like changing to a thicker engine-oil - that will delay a little the moment at which you need the noisy big-end bearings replaced - but by then you probably need the crank-shaft replaced or resurfaced as well. And the bearing surfaces in the hip have many resemblances to the big-end couplings in an engine, with synovial fluid replacing the engine oil.But without those xrays your vet cannot be certain - and no way should YOU pretend to "diagnose" HD, etc!