How can I make my dog's skin healthy again?

He had a huge rash on his back and it looked like his skin was dry. We took him to the vet who diagnosed it as an allergy. He said it was probably to his food (which was Wellness super5 puppy mix). He gave us some pills to give Toto daily. I thought it…

He had a huge rash on his back and it looked like his skin was dry. We took him to the vet who diagnosed it as an allergy. He said it was probably to his food (which was Wellness super5 puppy mix). He gave us some pills to give Toto daily. I thought it…...
    General Dog Discussions : How can I make my dog's skin healthy again?...

• How can I make my dog's skin healthy again?

How can I make my dog's skin healthy again? General Dog Discussions
      He had a huge rash on his back and it looked like his skin was dry. We took him to the vet who diagnosed it as an allergy. He said it was probably to his food (which was Wellness super5 puppy mix). He gave us some pills to give Toto daily. I thought it was weird he didnt give us any cream or apply directly to the rash. It has been a few weeks and it does not appear to be getting better. Are there any creams or other ways we can help his skin?

How can I make my dog's skin healthy again? General Dog Discussions
    • Good nutrition can fend off skin trouble. Feeding your dog supplements, such as essential fatty acids, may help as well.. Even if supplements do help, it will be a matter of weeks or months before you'll be able to see significant improvement.Grooming is an effective way to improve your dog's skin (and coat) health. Brush your dog regularly with a soft-bristled brush; bathe her once a month, or so; and apply flea medication every month.http://dwarfurl.com/702fc

• Fish oil supplements are wonderful for dogs with allergies . It works wonders for my lil terrier but she does hate taking it. The pet store should carry it, if not look on net and find the right dosage for your dogs weight and give human form. It is same stuff. I have used both. There are also hydrocortisone shampoos for dogs that may give some relief

• Many things that effect dog's skin is what they eat. My neighbor had an Akita with terrible skin diseases (as a result of being a puppy mill dog) and she said giving the dog meat helps improve their skin. There are also natural dog food sauces that improve the dogs coat. All you do is pour it over his food. They are called Omega sauces. There is a link for the website below. Feeding your dog home made food is a great way to control what they eat and is beneficial to dogs who have allergies. This way you can eliminate the exact ingredient your dog is allergic to. I use the cookbook: The Good Food Cookbook for Dogs. It has a recipe for dogs with allergies that includes 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and 1 pound of duck or venison. Any of these options would most likely help with your problem.

• Grooming your dog accomplishes much more than just making his coat look nice and shiny. It will provide you with the opportunity to spend some "quality time" with your dog, combing, brushing, bathing and generally bonding with him.You will be able to check your dog closely for any problems while grooming. Move the hair aside and examine the skin closely for signs of flea, ticks or skin irritations. Look for any unusual problems with the coat such as mats, tangles, dandruff, etc. Mats and tangles can be carefully removed while grooming.Learn where he likes to be combed and brushed and where he doesn't. All dogs have sensitive areas that need to be groomed a little more gently and carefully than others. By paying special attention to these areas, you will help make your dog more comfortable while being groomed and he will not resist future grooming sessions. You will also become familiar with areas that he enjoys having groomed. This is helpful if you need to calm him during stressful times such as veterinary visits.Caring for your "best friend's" coat and skin shouldn't feel like a terrible chore, yet often pet owners and pets dread brushing and bathing day. There are several keys to making coat and skin care painless - even fun! Further information, http://short.to/1q9jq