Has anyone every tried any medication on a dog that barks excessively and has seperation anxiety?

Okay, I rescued a German Shepherd puppy at the age of four months from an abusive home. That was Hercules, then I went back to the shelter to get his brother, Goliath. They're both from the same litter, they're brothers, but they look completely…

Has anyone every tried any medication on a dog that barks excessively and has seperation anxiety?

Okay, I rescued a German Shepherd puppy at the age of four months from an abusive home. That was Hercules, then I went back to the shelter to get his brother, Goliath. They're both from the same litter, they're brothers, but they look completely…...
    General Dog Discussions : Has anyone every tried any medication on a dog that barks excessively and has seperation anxiety?...

• Has anyone every tried any medication on a dog that barks excessively and has seperation anxiety?

Has anyone every tried any medication on a dog that barks excessively and has seperation anxiety? General Dog Discussions
      Okay, I rescued a German Shepherd puppy at the age of four months from an abusive home. That was Hercules, then I went back to the shelter to get his brother, Goliath. They're both from the same litter, they're brothers, but they look completely different and act even more different. Hercules is calm, never barks or pulls on the leash, I trained him very well, the same with his bro, they know how to sit, stay, down, come fetch, talk or "good speak", good quiet as well, leave it, ECT. theyre both ten months now. I took them both to puppy training since they were around six months old. Before that I trained them by using a magazine. When I took goliath or Golie for short, to the training class he was the best one there! He already knew how to sit, stay, and well you get the point. But he is barker! Which is why I decided to take him the training class, I wish I done this before. So far we had had two trainers, one muzzle, one head harness, calming collar, calming spray, I tried everything. The first training, came and went, now we are currently going to Pets smart seeing how its guaranteed that they will be trained, no matter, what if he fails it, like he is right now... then we can take it over and over and over again. Until we get it right. But guess what! I took him to the local wilderness park the other day, two joggers approached us right, he barked none stop at them, then he ran behind my mom! Oh my god! I have never ever seen him do that. Is he traumatize from his past family? He turns the house inside out when I leave, and bark none stop whenever I leave the park and leave him with my mom to go use the public restroom, the other day I had to bring him with me! It was awkward handling my business their with him staring right at me. I cant shake this dog for one second. I will NEVER try shock collars. My dad is planning to buy a house with a nice and I mean really nice yard. After all my complaining, he is buying a house mostly for the yard, the inside is great but the yard is awesome even better than the whole house. Its that serious, our house is too small for two GSDs. I can handle them, running is easy, playing fetch, hide and seeks, and monkey in the middle with them is the best! I love them both so much. I never ever had dogs before, my mom and pops grew up with GSDs, but they have never seen a dog this crazy attached to me and afraid of people. My dad said that I use either a sedation, or medication called Clomicalm, and or Reconcile. HAS ANYONE USED THESE IN THE PAST? DO THEY WORK? My first pup Hercules is already moving on to agility training, soon it will be fly ball, and then tracking, and then Shutzhund. Which is best to begin first though? Tracking, then agility then fly ball then shutzhund? Or what would be the correct order? I am training my dog, Hercules to do this, while my other pup Golie cant even walk in public with out barking at stranger! Why on earth can he do all those other tricks and NOT even walk without practically giving someone a heart attack? Thank you all for your help, especially to those who read ALL of this, sorry that I made this so long, I wanted to use details, if you have any questions ask down below along with your answer, thank you all so much. for your help. I just hope I can solve this before he is fully grown, theyre both around 75 pounds they just turned ten months and theyre only getting bigger!! Wish me luck and have a great day...ALSO I almost forgot, my dog Goliath would never bark at other people In the park, I remember several situations where someone came and petted him, now that's impossible, he changed, why, and how can I make him go back to how he was a calm pup?I read some of the side affects of reconcile and clomicalm, seizures, tremors, a coma? I don't know about this anymore... I think that for now I will just keep Goliath at home, and walk his brother Hercules, the sad thing is that I want to take them BOTH to the beach, wilderness park, dog park of course... but I cant because of Goliath. Can I just take one dog? I am meeting with my dog trainer and my pets vet later on this week to discuss this but I want to get more info, opinons, and even more past experiencences from pet owners. thanks guys, sorry for the misspells, do not have my glasses and my eyes are on fire! thanks again.

Has anyone every tried any medication on a dog that barks excessively and has seperation anxiety? General Dog Discussions
    • I could be wrong but I'm guessing your dog doesn't have separation anxiety. Dogs are pack animals and find security in being with other dogs. You have two dogs and one of them is calm and apparently doesn't bark yet his brother does. So he isn't alone and shouldn't be stresses. I think at the dog park he is absolutely terrified of people and other dogs and I think being in dog obedience group classes is scaring him to death. I don't know where it comes from but I think you might want to look into private training at home. I don't think the why of it is important. It is what it is and it has to be dealt with.I think the thing to focus on is building his self-confidence and getting him to focus on you, only you and if nothing else learning to set on command and watch you for instruction. The more he is into you and what he is doing the less time he has to respond to other things going on around him. He needs to know he is achieving something and being rewarded for it not constantly rebuked. I think it's fear.http://www.cesarsway.com/tips/dogtraining/Dealing-with-Separation-Anxiety-by-Martin-DeeleyTalk to your vet about a product called zylkene. I adopted a cat from a sanctuary in Utah and it had to transport to California. Their vet gave him this product (its for both dogs and cats) and it worked very well. Somewhat new and I believe from the UK. I'm wondering if using it prior to a training session or going to the dog park wouldn't help.Best of luck!

• Part of the veterinarian's job is to protect the human/animal bond by helping you resolve any issues that could come between you and your dog. You really need to rely on the professionals for this one.Having said that, I adopted the dog in my photo from a kill shelter. Buddy has severe separation anxiety. He HAS to be near my husband, and tears up things in the house if he is left. He cannot be crated at all, because he breaks his teeth, escapes, and moves the crate all over the house.We have him on Prozac. It has helped a lot. I would try one of the other medications first, or whatever your vet recommends. I have found that amitriptyline doesn't really work -- so I went heavier from the beginning. It has cooled his jets, although he isn't perfect.Our vets recommend citronella collars for excessive barking. They learn that every time they bark, the collar squirts them. But I would wait until the trainer is able to direct you. Our vets know which trainers are the best -- they know them, plus hear reviews from their clients.Don't ever punish your dog for the anxiety-related problems. It makes it worse.Here's a great trainer website we recommend. Dr. Sophia Yin is a behaviorist and veterinarian.www.drsophiayin.com