How to get over putting my dog down?

This morning we had to put down my dog I have had ever since I was a young kid. She was old and crippled but I still feel horrible throughout the whole day. I am 18 so I have had the dog my whole life. Every time I leave my room now and walk around the…

This morning we had to put down my dog I have had ever since I was a young kid. She was old and crippled but I still feel horrible throughout the whole day. I am 18 so I have had the dog my whole life. Every time I leave my room now and walk around the…...
    General Dog Discussions : How to get over putting my dog down?...

• How to get over putting my dog down?

How to get over putting my dog down? General Dog Discussions
      This morning we had to put down my dog I have had ever since I was a young kid. She was old and crippled but I still feel horrible throughout the whole day. I am 18 so I have had the dog my whole life. Every time I leave my room now and walk around the house I start balling my eyes out just because I'm so used to seeing her. What will make it easier to get over her and remember her memory.

How to get over putting my dog down? General Dog Discussions
    • i know exactly how you feel. i got my first dog when i was 5 and we put her down 2 years ago bc she had a tumor in her nose that was making her bleed profusely. im 18 now and still cry over her, 2 years later. she was like one of my best friends growing up, followed me everywhere. i balled my eyes out for a week after. you just have to let it out. dont hold it in. itll make it worse. its like losing a person. cry, talk about it, talk about her with your family. itll get better. i promise. youll always miss her but itll get easier to live without her.also, i know it might sound bad but try getting another animal in a few months. not necessarily another dog to replace her. but a bunny or a hamster, or a cat, or a dog. a year (ish) after my dog died we got a cat and he kind of helped me be happy again. its always nice to have an animal companion.

• I don't know if there is any one thing that will help you get over it, other than time, but you have my sympathy. I had two dogs, one we got when I was 5, the other when I was 7, and we had them for 15 and 17 years. The hardest thing I've ever done was decide when it was time for them to go.For me what helped the most were my other pets. The 15 year old, Ruby, was the daughter of the 17 years, and having Ruby was the only thing that kept me from crying nonstop when we lost her mom. When Ruby had to be put down, I had my cat, who Ruby raised, and I still grab him everyday and give him a huge hug for my dogs. They've been gone now for 2 years and 4 years, and I still miss them. I got a new puppy last summer, finally, and he's helped me a lot, but I don't suggest going out and getting a new dog right away. Wait awhile, for me at least, I know if I'd got another dog right away I would have always compared it to my girls, and it never would have been good enough.Aside from time, and spending time with any pets you still have, you might try volunteering at a shelter, or just spending time with a friend's dog. For the two summers after I lost Ruby I used to take my friend's dog out for walks almost every day, and every once in awhile I'd have her come spend the night at my house.My vet made a paw impression of both of my dogs, and I kept a lock of each of their hair. I made a little shadow box for each of them, and that helped me. I also got their ashes, and my family and close friends went with me to spread their ashes at their favorite walking place. We put up a wreath every memorial day for them where we spread their ashes.

• What I did is I cried over it a couple of times. It really hurt me. So I thought about all the good moments of him. Then eventually you have to except it. I have photos of mine all around. Try to also maybe get another dog. But try to not think about it after a while. Sorry for the loss.

• You have lots of great advice so I don't expect best answer. I think the only thing to help is time. Sure a new dog is great but will NEVER have the same personality. Just keep in ind you were a great puppy parent and now you can do it again. I know it's heartbreaking but please don't ever stop. Shelters are full of puppies and dogs that need you or will be PTS. Everyday thousands are put to sleep. Save one and establish a bond. Don't look for a replacement because you will never find one. Each is an individual and you will find unique qualities to love about your next pet. The saying "Pets steal our hearts,but give us theirs" is so true and another furbaby is waiting to give theirs to you.As far as her memory goes I have a wall of pictures of every dog I ever owned or fostered. It makes me happy to know I made a difference n so many lives. I don't want to start with cliches but "Adopting a dog will not change the world but the world will change for that dog" keep your dogs tags and leash. Mount them in a shadow box with a favorite toy. The memories don't have to be bad. It's OK to cry. I do every time I re-home a foster. My last one went to a wealthy family in New Hampshire with 13 acres adjacent to a state park with trails. I am a 6'2 250lb man and still cried. Will never forget my first foster Sally. She is a black Great Dane. She went to a person my wife works with and is still around. I also cried. You will deal with your grief in your own way and it "Won't be wrong" It makes you the person you are. Just please ADOPT a pet from a shelter don't buy one from a store. petfinder.com is a place to start. My heart hurts for you.